VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pain Management - No Help

Rate this topic

So. I don’t know exactly where to start but here it goes. I’m 100% permanent. I have bulging discs, annular fissures, disc disease from my C-T spine. I have patellar femoral in both my knees as well as torn patellar, I’ve had two shoulder repairs and anchors in both and they are about to go back in on my right shoulder as the repair wasn’t done correctly. I’ve been in PT on and off for nearly 6 years. As well as injections in my knees and shoulders. They tell me I need knee replacements but won’t as I’m in my 30’s.

I have been on pain medication 5/325 oxycodone since 2016. I cannot sleep at night because I’m in so much pain. I’ve invested in a therapeutic mattress ($3600) and still have difficulty getting to sleep and waking up multiple times at night. I’m just always in pain. And I can’t get comfortable. 

The medication I’m on has been getting me sick. They have me taking 3 of them at night as over the years it’s stopped working as well. Even though it helps me with pain and getting to sleep, It destroys my stomach. I waited nearly 2 months for a consultation with pain management because I wanted the medication adjusted to a higher dose with lower quantity as my new pcp won’t adjust it and says I need to go through pain management. The pain management doctor instead told me the reason for my pain is the pain medication and he wants to put me on gabapentin as well as a sleep medication. 

I’ve been down this road before with sleep medication. They’ve prescribed me antidepressants to help with sleep(wtf?) and I had issues with low libido and became emotionally unstable. Or the medication would cause me to be groggy the following day. I explained this to the doctor but he basically said that it wasn’t possible. 

Ultimately I don’t want to be on any medication. I don’t want to be an experiment either for them to keep tossing meds at me and do the “let’s see if this works”. I am averaging 3-4 hours a night of sleep and I work 12 hour days. I really just wanted some help and I can’t function exhausted. It’s causing issues with work as I’m calling out or I’m just a d-head because I’m tired. I don’t understand why they would rather me take so many of these pills at once when it’s getting me sick and not helping me. 

does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Or a different medication I can try to help me sleep at night without the side effects? I am considering getting private care at this point. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I will give it a shot.  I certainly agree that, in your 30's, you dont want to be taking oxy long term.  Instead try alternative methods.  Some that may help are:

1.  Kiniseology.  This is available at my VAMC and its good.  Recommended.  

2.  Nutrition therapy.  There are some things that are "not" controversial, that you can start with first.  

A.  Tumeric with Pepperin.  This is available at my local Kroger.  Its good for many things, but its an anti inflamatory which, and inflamation often causes pain.   The pepperin simply makes it be absorbed better.  This is actually a spice (root) often used in Indian food, thus they have few joint issues since they eat this in their food a lot.  You may need MORE, however.  

B.  I have had good luck with overall health with A Reds.  A Reds are eye vitamins (I have issues with my eyes), but some of them are good for overall health.  Zeaxatanthin (from the marigold flower) is great "not just" for eye health.  Some cheap vitamins have only 1 or 2 mg Zeaxatanthin, and you may need 5 or more mg.  You are unlikely to overdose on this, so you can take 10mg or more. You probably have to order A Reds online, because those at Kroger are low dose, and you may need more.  

C.  EPA/DHA/ Other Omega 3's.  My son is married to a doctor.  While I visited him last time, I noticed he was on EPA/DHA.  Well, its because his wife has researched it and its just plain good for you.  Dont take this as a medical recommendation, because she has not examined you.  Its good for joint health.  Dont take "cheap" fish oil, get the good stuff.  If you PM me, I will tell you brands I have found to be satisfactory.  A Reds contain Omega 3's, too, but you may need more.  

3.  Magnetic therapy.  

4.  Some other alternates, such as Tens Units, Cryotherapy, (applying ice), Physical therapy, perhaps some other nutrition therapies.

5.  Canibidol/MJ.  Your state "may" not allow medical marijuana, but my state does.  There is a reason (medical) that marijuana has been approved in several states for medical use:  It helps at least some people.  Canibidol, is similar but without THC (get high component).  Canibidol is good, no great, BUT, the problem is there are many fake canibidol and low quality canibidol.  Medical marijuana, however is strictly regulated.  You may get enough CBD oil by simply buying and including in your diet hemp seeds (recommended).  Hemp seeds are available at most health food stores, and probably online.  A pound of hemp seeds is probably around 10 to 15 dollars at my health food store.  

6 Aroma Therapy, ayrudevic, and a few other alternatives.  Remember, the number of "alternative medicine" appointments, such as chiropractic and some of those I named, have exceeded the number of MD appointments for years.  

Oh, I forgot one, since you mentioned knee pain.  I can not tell you how incredibly important your shoes are.  Poor shoes can make your feet, back, knees, hips or more hurt.  The most comfortable shoes I have EVER owned, and I tried many, are Allbirds.  No, they are not cheap, but worth every penny.  (About 95 bucks for a pair of shoes, including shipping)

These are "not" anything like any shoes you have ever bought in Walmart, Target, or probably other shoe stores.  While I have only had mine a week, I bought 2 more pair, already, another for me, and one for my wife.  I got the "high tops" this time, the low tops (regular Allbirds) are exceptionally comfortable, but it does feel like my heel could slip out and they fall off, even tho it doe not happen, I ordered high tops next time so that wont likely be a problem.  

They are so comfortable, I doubt if I will send them back "just" because, as I said, the heel feels like it could "pop out of the shoe" as I walk.  It hasnt done that, but I just want the high tops next time.  I ordered a 10 and I normally wear 9's, and they fit fine.  So, you may need to order them 1 size bigger.  

That is just me, you may have a different opiinion.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet I agree with you 100% on good, comfortable shoes. I have back, ankle and knee issues. Skimp on a good support shoe and any and all of these will start to bark at you the older you get. If you can minimize any pain without drugs, I'm all for it. Good shoes do help.