VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&T and upcoming surgery

Rate this question

CapnHaddock

Question

Good afternoon - I am currently 100% P&T (63 yrs old) and need to have surgery on my foot.  I am 0% service connected for a bunion and 0% service connect for hammer toes.  The pain is getting the better of me on this one.  The doctor is going to operate doing the standard bone shortening/bunion removal/plantar repair on my foot.  It is a civilian doctor performing the surgery  - VA hospital is too far to put my wife through that hassle.  I will be without a shoe and crutches for two months plus (limited to house for 30 days).  Do I file this as a new claim or increased on earlier 0% service connect?  Do I file this and if so what are the benefits?  Thoughts?  

Edited by CapnHaddock

Bullet 3. While not common, since you are already 100% its a possibility. 

IV.ii.2.H.8.b.  Considering the Level of Disability Required for Entitlement to A&A

A single disability evaluated as 100-percent disabling under a schedular evaluation is generally a prerequisite for entitlement to A&A.  Any lesser disability would be incompatible with the requirements of 38 CFR 3.352(a).

Explanation:  Both the nature of the impairment (being in need of regular A&A) and the compensation indicate that a greater level of disability is required for entitlement to the additional allowance for A&A than for
  • entitlement to SMC at the housebound rate, or
  • a 100-percent schedular evaluation.
Important
  • The single disability rated as totally disabling must be the sole or partial cause of the need for A&A.
  • 38 CFR 4.16 applies only to IU determinations.  It does not permit decision makers to apply 38 CFR 4.16 guidelines on what constitutes a single disability to A&A determinations.
  • Temporary 100-percent evaluations under 38 CFR 4.28, 4.29, and 4.30 qualify for the single schedular evaluation needed for entitlement to A&A.  However, grants of entitlement to A&A are not routine in these circumstances.

He can file for temporary 100% which will pay him at the smc-s rate for a month or two. Temporary 100% is essentially a request for an increase. It doesn’t matter if you’re already 100% P&T.

I just did this for a foot surgery I had in February and I got 1 month at the smc-s rate since they don’t pay out partial months.

Im actually getting my records ready to file for temporary 100% for 2 foot surgeries and a back surgery that I had in the past. I couldn’t before because they kept denying service connection but now that I finally got them granted and the effective dates corrected I can move forward.