VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2021 COLA: 1.3%

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

According to the BLS website:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.htm

Scroll down (for the CPI-W):

The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) 
 increased 1.5 percent over the last 12 months to an index level of 254.004 
 (1982-84=100). For the month, the index rose 0.2 percent prior to seasonal 
 adjustment.  

While I am quoting from the BLS website, regard this as an estimate only, the official one will follow.  Therefore, my estimate is between 1.4% and 1.6%, with 1.5 percent the most likely Cola. 

For a SINGLE 100 percent Veteran, no dependents, this amounts to a raise of $46.59 per month increase to $3152.63 .  

Social Security recipients will also be the same:  1.5%, but, as was pointed out, our medicare premiums will go up, so we will see "less" increase in our social security checks, probably. 

Edited by broncovet

But of course, hamslice!  You are spot on.  We all know that many, many people scam the elderly out of money.  Car dealers, medical insurance, telephone solicitors, telephone scammers, in person scams, letter scams...so why not our government get into the act?  Remember, VA does it to us at every turn.  For example, why does a 10 percent disabled Veteran "NOT" get 300 per month, and instead gets about 100 per month?  Oh, they rounded those numbers down..for years...until its way, way unfairly balanced NOT in favor of Veterans.  A 50 percent Vet should get 1500 per month, half of a 100 percent Vet., but they dont.  They get hornswaggled out of hundreds of dollars a month. 

After all, many/most seniors arent good at math anymore, so they wont even notice the difference between 1.3 percent, and 1.5 percent.  Car dealers and banks manipulate the interest rates in their favor all the time. 

I recently noticed "a reputable dealer" in my town charged me 99 dollars "fee" for my loan, and, sure enough I got a statement from the credit union and there is the 99 fee "again". 

If you go to the grocery, and buy a gallon of milk, and it comes to $104, would you say something?  Probably.  I bet you worked just as hard earning the 99 dollars for the car dealer, as you would if you got overcharged 99 dollars at the grocery store.