• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Denied Claim Submission

gumba88

Question

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, but I have email chains with a veterans claim representative where they refused to SUBMIT my claim because they said it would not be something I could claim.  I ended up submitting my claim myself, then submitting to higher level review and it looks like my claim is getting approved.  If I had not been tenacious and listened to the VA rep that wouldn't even submit my claim, I'd be out thousands in backpay and a rating.  Has anyone experienced having the VA refuse to file the claim?  I started thinking about how many vets this could have happened to...shut down before they even submit!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

gumba88 You wrote... I believe you have two things going on. First, you used  "Vet Rep", probably a VSO correct? Possibly from the VFW, Am. Legion, etc and he refused to submit? But it rea

This has been said a thousand times A Veteran knows his/r claim more than anyone and it's up to the Veteran to see that he gets what he deserves...himself  or from someone that can help. a v

A lot of veterans go through the same thing. Years ago, I had a VA supervisor tell me I had no way of getting an increase. I think I was around 20% and that was around 2000 and around 2004 my VSO told

i have some issues going with 2 claims and had appointment with my VSO yesterday. first time i have had a really bad meeting with him. 

he is so concerned about getting me to 100% and nothing else. said i am worrying too much about getting claims correct when i am going to get my OSA claim and be at 100%. i told him its not about getting to a certain % but making sure things are right. he said "either you want to be treated by the VA for your claims, you want to make it 100% or its about the money..you are being treated and if you make it to 100% you are covered from head to toe medically...so is this about money"

i was really frustrated bc then he said he doesnt know how to proceed and recommends me getting a lawyer if i dont want his recommendations. fortunately the state of VA has lawyers on hand to talk to through their VSO program, so i have an appointment with one. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Confusedvet1
      Hello,
      I got a denial for headaches and I'm not sure what it is saying. When I read it I think it's contradicting itself. Could someone please help me understand what it says? Also there are a lot of other times I reported headaches after service which are all in my VA medical records that they did not mention in denial so I'm thinking they didn't actually read my file?

This is from the letter.

Service connection for headache condition.
      Service connection may be granted for a disability which began in military service or was caused
      by some event or experience in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
      While your service treatment records reflect complaints, treatment, or a diagnosis similar to that
      claimed, the medical evidence supports the conclusion that a persistent disability was not present
      in service. (38 CFR 3.303)
      We did not find a link between your medical condition and military service. (38 CFR 3.303)
      The evidence does not show that your disease developed to a compensable degree within the
      specified time period after release from service to qualify for the presumption of service
      connection. (38 CFR 3.307, 38 CFR 3.309)
      Service connection for headache condition is denied since this condition neither occurred in nor
      was caused by service. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304)
      Favorable findings identified in this decision: Service treatment record dated January 26, 2005
      and July 25, 2007 shows headaches. Medical record dated January 13, 2020 from Canandaigua
      VA Medical Center shows headaches. You have sufficient service to meet the minimum
      requirements for presumptive service connection. The claimed disability is a chronic disease
      which may be presumptively linked to your military service.
    • By tuanntrang
      Hello everyone,
      Happy labors day to all, so my question was i my current disability is rated at 50% since last years, since then i haven't seen any improvement myself, I haven't work much or able to keep a stable job, my last job was at home depot for prob 2 months as a greeters around the end of 2019, I just submit all my disability for an increase on may 2020 and my case just close on September 3rd 2020, when to only 1 C&P exam where the doctor just ask me about my injury and how it feel about it, if i pull any muscle or tears any thing, i told the doctor it just hurt when walk or stand, some flare up sometime on my knee. so i limited myself to mostly sit or lay on bed, can't keep a job for long. She told me so you disable then and just told me the exam is finish. No extra check up/exam, No xray or mri.

I know my case is complete and the letter should be here soon, but my question is how likely for me to get an increase? if so how much could i percent should i expected?
      I heard from someone that if i get approve most likely my ebenefits rating should have changes before my letter arrived, if it doesn't chance til my letter arrive that mean most likely is a denied letter.

left hip and thigh strain with limited flexion 0% Service Connected   01/30/2019 right hip and thigh strain with impairment 0% Service Connected   01/30/2019 left hip and thigh strain with impairment 0% Service Connected   01/30/2019 right knee strain with stress fracture residuals of pain and limited ROM 10% Service Connected   05/23/2019 left hip and thigh strain with limited extension 10% Service Connected   01/30/2019 back condition   Not Service Connected     right ankle status post stress fracture 10% Service Connected   10/29/2018 left ankle status post stress fracture 10% Service Connected   10/29/2018 right hip and thigh strain with limited extension 10% Service Connected   01/30/2019 right hip and thigh strain with limited flexion 0% Service Connected   01/30/2019 left knee strain with stress fracture residuals of pain and limited ROM 10% Service Connected   05/23/2019
    • By Kraxup
      I received a VA rating early last year for tinnitus and hearing loss. I recently started another claim for back pain, PES Planus(flat feet) and a ankle injury. I have proof in my service medical chart of a back injury on 2 occasion. Plus during the second visit it's document that my pain was continuous for the previous 6 months. 
      The arch of my feet were recorded as normal during my first enlistment. When I reenlisted in the Army after being out of USMC for 4 months i recieced a entrance medical exam. In that entrance medical exam it's documented that i have flat feet.
       Lastly my ankle injury was documented in my service medical records. 
      What is the opinion of getting a Nexus letter with so much proof in my service medical records. Get a Nexus, YES, or NO. 
    • By Kraxup
      I received a VA rating early last year for tinnitus and hearing loss. I recently started another claim for back pain, PES Planus(flat feet) and a ankle injury. I have proof in my service medical chart of a back injury on 2 occasion. Plus during the second visit it's document that my pain was continuous for the previous 6 months. 
      The arch of my feet were recorded as normal during my first enlistment. When I reenlisted in the Army after being out of USMC for 4 months i recieced a entrance medical exam. In that entrance medical exam it's documented that i have flat feet.
       Lastly my ankle injury was documented in my service medical records. 
      What is the opinion of getting a Nexus letter with so much proof in my service medical records. Get a Nexus, YES, or NO. 
    • By Glenndawson100
      Hi there, Recently actually yesterday the 21st of February the VA gave me notice that my supplemental claim had been decided and that they had sent out the letter that morning as well (meaning the decision was actually made on the 20th). This of course prompted me to check Ebenefits, where I saw no change in my rating. I'm currently rated at 40% for other issues. And in the past Ebenefits updated almost instantly leading me to believe that this supplemental claim was denied. I originally submitted my Epilepsy claim back in august, it was denied about 4 months later due to conflicting phraseology given by one of my doctors (mind you i still have a diagnoses of Epilepsy with 15 witnessed Grand Mal seizures at this point). Once i got the original decision letter I contacted my County VSO's office and set up an appointment. After they reviewed everything they we surprised that my claim was denied as it has a clear nexus and on top of that falls under the conditions; that if they manifest within a year its considered service connected (I separated 02/01/2019, first seizure onset was 05/25/2019). They did review the 112 pages of evidence from my civilian doctors and did see the conflicting phraseology. They told me that if I could get my Neurologist to just confirm my diagnoses and say i was and have been under treatment since 05/25/2019 that we could submit a supplemental claim since that's the fastest route. So that's what we did. That brings us to now. Under the standards for Epilepsy I was looking at a single rating of anything between 80%-100%. An 80% from 40% would have resulted in something Close to 90%. While i'm holding out, since in either case the retro pay (if my claim was awarded) would be greater then 20K that the additional signatures required are slowing down Ebenefits from updating, but as in most cases if the letter has sent and Ebenfits doesn't updated, 90% of the time you Claim/Supplemental/Appeal is denied. ( I mean correct me if I'm wrong). Whats the moral of the story? No matter how much evidence you have to support you the VA will be the VA. I'm lucky that I'm rated for other conditions so that I can at least have the VA help me cut down on the costs of treatment for Epilepsy, but it would have been nice to have it service connected so that I wouldn't have to wait months on months for Neurology appointments since I don't have priority. If any one has any information for me that might help moving forward, I'm all ears as once my letter is received and upon reading of the denial ill be filling an appeal.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines