VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver: Now available to Vietnam Vets

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

The Caregiver stipend, previously available only to "new" Vets, has been opened up for Vietnam/Korea/WW2 Vets:

Source:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/10/06/va-expands-caregiver-stipend-cover-eligible-vietnam-korea-and-world-war-ii-veterans.html

This could be a big deal for you, if you need a caregiver.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I am going to apply for A&A for my spouse  she is totally disabled  and requires a person to be with her  to help with everyday necessities  she needs help walking   like 3 ft  and help sitting and getting up  bathroom and other things...  any help from the VA will be ok  if its just peanuts  we understand if she is approved for the A&A program for Vietnam Veterans spouse  its not all that much $$$  about 160.00 month added in to my compensation.

Right now I get 100% plus SMC S Homebound  and SMC K for  direct  service connected at 0% but paid around 130.00 extra monthly added in to my comp but every little bit helps.

We may not be approved ?  not sure yet?...  but she has 2 letters from her Dr's stating she needs help from another person and names her disability's and gives a medical explanation as why. she just got back out of the Hospital from two major surgery's  front part of her neck and the back part of her neck to part of her upper back  she is in a cast .and will wear a fitted neck brace in 2 weeks  for like 6 months or so?? depending on how well she heals.?

• HadIt.com Elder

I applied on my own behalf to make my wife my caretaker.  I know I am eligible.  I am waiting on a social worker to come by and see the shape I am in.  I need help from my wife to keep track of my meds.

• HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, john999 said:

I applied on my own behalf to make my wife my caretaker.  I know I am eligible.  I am waiting on a social worker to come by and see the shape I am in.  I need help from my wife to keep track of my meds.

Good Luck with that John,  they should approve you and not give you any problems  but you know how the VA is...KEEP ON FIGHTING THEM  YOU WILL WIN.

• HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

Good Luck with that John,  they should approve you and not give you any problems  but you know how the VA is...KEEP ON FIGHTING THEM  YOU WILL WIN.

Buck...my wife is not in such great shape herself, but better than me I think.  We try to help each other.  She has a bad leg from an accident.  I have a bad back and neuropathy in my hands and feet.  We are quite a couple.  We both have arthritis now.  When we get up or down you can hear the cracks and pops.

• HadIt.com Elder
8 hours ago, john999 said:

Buck...my wife is not in such great shape herself, but better than me I think.  We try to help each other.  She has a bad leg from an accident.  I have a bad back and neuropathy in my hands and feet.  We are quite a couple.  We both have arthritis now.  When we get up or down you can hear the cracks and pops.

I totally understand John   a lot of us old Vietnam Dogs are in the same shape  my spouse is totally disabled , I do what I can to help her  she needs care around the clock  she just got out of the hospital and is bedridden right now she had neck and upper back surgery and wears a cast   in 2 weeks they take it off and she will wear a neck brace for a few months or until she heals...we won't know if the surgery was a sucess or not until she heals up and  can see if she can be more mobile...if she was a Veteran she more than likley would meet the top SMC/A&A grants they got.

as long as her pain is down  I THINK THINGS WILL BE BETTER FOR HER  AND ME  I can't stand to see anyone in chronic pain.

I do all I can...I can't leave her by herself  her Dr told me that..so when I have to go to the VA i NEED TO SEE IF MY NEIGHBOR WILL WATCH HER  BUT MY NEIGHBORS ALL HAVE DISABILITYS TOO...SO IF VA  WON'T HELP  i JUST HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET BY THE BEST WAY WE CAN.