VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

flynsolo2

Question

Hello. I am wondering about educational benefits. When I was in the military, I did not have any dependents, so, I did not list anyone to transfer my GI BIll to. Once I was out and service connected, I was told it is best to Voc Rehab stipends, and I did. My question is that it now states that my GI Bill is delimiting April 2021, with 25 months worth of benefits not exhausted yet. Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I have dependents now, but, it will not let me transfer. Is there any way to get it transferred now? I have read posts that some have done both voc rehab AND GI bill benefits at the same time-but, am I able to go back and receive retroactive pay with a GI Bill? I hate to have 25 months worth of educational benefits go to waste........any help with this would be great. THANK YOU!!!!

4 answers to this question

Voc rehab comes from the same pool as gi bill. You don’t get more than 48 months total combined no matter how you combine it. How many years did you do Voc?

@brokensoldier244th I believe I did voc rehab for just about 4 years. But, I had heard there was a way for people to use both at the same time for maximum benefit? I did not know if that was true, and if it was, to get retroactive pay from GI BIll, since it still shows 25 months left of the GI Bill. But, I just did not want two years of educational benefits to go to waste-unless there was a way to transfer to dependents now but as far as I can see, when I look into it for my file, it does not allow me. 

So is the 25 months left of GI Bill then just an error on my page? I know now that they have the Forever GI Bill but, I do not qualify for thata unfortunately..... 

If you are looking on Ebenefits, then yes, most likely. It rarely shows accurate amounts. I know for a fact that I used all of mine years ago, yet I still have 1 month according to them. Since I used Voc Rehab it would have used all of my GI bill. You can combine them for a total of 48 months, since GI bill I think is only for 36, but you can't exceen 48 unless you are in Voc and are determined to have a serious employment handicap(s) by your counselor.