VA says they can't offer me treatment for my Tinnitus but want to test for sleep apnea???

1454th Solider

Question

Due to my tinnitus being very bad, I was awarded a 70% rating from the VA for anxiety and depression secondary to my tinnitus due to it keeping me from sleeping. I have started my counseling with VA social workers and psych doctors from the VA. I ask my VA primary care doctor does the VA offer any treatment for tinnitus and the answer was, "There is no treatment the VA offers for tinnitus, just wear ear plugs and stay away from loud noises". My question is why would a PA want to test me for sleep apnea to see if that is causing my sleep problems but I can't get treatment for what I know keeps me up at night. I'm just curious if the VA doc is trying create a scenario that if I do have sleep apnea, then that is what is causing my anxiety and depression not my service connected tinnitus. I know sleep apnea is serious and I'm going to get the test but can the VA reduce or take my compensation if the PA opinions that she thinks my depression is due to sleep apnea? 

Can she override two PHD Psychiatric doctors opinions? One IMO and the other a VA psychiatrist?

Thanks for your responses in advance. Elders please chime in.

• Subscription Holder

Your doctor would have nothing to do with a claim with the VA. Unless they ware writing an opinion for you about your claim.  If you have sleep apnea then you need to get it checked and get what you need for it.

The VA doc is there to make sure the patient has any medical issues taken care of.

As for the hearing issues, the VA does have things to help you with the ringing in the ears.  They have ear plugs that when tuned properly can reduce or eliminate the ringing.  Are you talking to the Audiology department about this?  If not I sure would.

here are a some things which could help.

https://www.nuheara.com/how-it-helps/tinnitus-relief/?av=6&gclid=CjwKCAjwiaX8BRBZEiwAQQxGx7YV_q7Q6VsBquEkIo3mutiXrHiBSSuj8gO7Jv2AKdkLkEQbMtIhmhoC3KYQAvD_BwE

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/best-hearing-aids-for-tinnitus.html

I do believe the VA has some of these options.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  

• Like 2

My doctor prescribed a vitamin for my tinnitus.  (Zinc).  

It seemed to help some.  

Excess ear wax can exacerbate tinnitus.  A few drops of Olive Oil in your ear may help that.  Source:

https://www.tinnitus.org.uk/7-home-remedies-for-ringing-in-the-ears

I would advise trying "non pharmaceutal" treatments FIRST, such as nutrition therapy, ear wax reduction, noise reduction, etc.  But there are meds to treat it:

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-tinnitus-treatment#1

Vitamins:

https://www.miracle-ear.com/blog-news/vitamins-for-ear-health

There are even multiple vitamins JUST for tinnitus, that often have multi's plus sometimes proteins you may be be lacking.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=nutritional+supplements+for+tinnitus&oq=nutritional+suppments+for+tin&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i13i457j0i22i30l2.19498j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

While I have not evaluated any of these, at least one is sold by Walmart.  You could try them until you got one that worked for you.  

• Like 1

Ya, I think there might be some confusion on the two different pillars of the VA (VHA + VBA). The Veterans health administration just wants to treat you, they are like your primary care doctors. The VBA Veteran benefits administration has to do with benefits like disability , GI Bill ect.  To be honest they don't talk really well.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Ranmic
      I'm planning on filing a claim with the VA for Sleep Apnea.  I do not currently have a CPAP machine and have not had a sleep study done at this point by my local VA Hospital.  Should I have a CPAP machine and sleep study completed by my local VA Hospital before I file my claim?
    • By Riplip
      I had my test last week and found my notes on Ebenefits. Nobody has called me and I do not have any appointments. Just wondering if anybody knows what some numbers mean? They don't have an average next to them. During my night recording i had 120 hypopneas, 7 obstructive apneas and 6 central apneas generating an overall AHI of 17.5/hour. The lowest oxygen saturation is recorded at 86%. Not sure if this is normal or not. I don't think I have anyway to SC it but at least they will take care of everything. Any expert advice would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
    • By Duster4-60
      Just finished my C and P for Tinnitus and Hearing loss. And why I most likely will be denied.

My appointment was made through LHI. This was June 24, 2021 and the appointment was for September 10, 2021. I called LHI and asked why it would take 11 weeks for an appointment, no answer.

My appointment was for 1PM. I arrived at 12:45 to find the location at a small store front in an older strip mall, my first thought was, Dingy and Dirty.  No one was at the reception desk so I called out to someone in the back. Turns out it was the Doctor who answered she was with a patient and came to the front and informed me they were out to lunch and to sit down until the receptionist returns. Needless to say she seem a bit miffed that I bothered her.

The receptionist arrived and took my info and asked that I take a seat until the Doctor finished with the other patient. I waited until 1:15 when the doctor called me in. Her 1st question was “how are you doing” and my reply was “I’ve been better” she seemed to want to push the issue and I pushed back saying I didn’t know want she wanted me to say. At this point I started to feel this was not going to go well for me.

She began interviewing me first about my hearing. It was pretty basic like, are both ears affected, is one side better that the other. When did I notice my hearing lost and what may have caused it. I told her about being in the Artillery in Viet-Nam for a years. I was honest to tell her that age may also be a factor. Then she started asking about my Tinnitus, normal questions like, when did it start, what it sound like to me. I explained besides being in the Artillery there was one incident of a large road land mine that blew up right in front me. I was driving a deuce and half with some replacements from Pleiku to Kon Tum. The deuce and half in front of me hit the mine and it blew off the double dual tires of the deuce and half as well bending the bed as if it was a toy. It was the loudest thing I ever heard. She took notes about it but seemed to want to know about my life after Viet-Nam.

At this point she seemed confrontational about my answers. I told her I worked in the accounting department of a large trucking company for about 15 years and then computer work. Nothing in noisy areas or running heavy machinery. She didn’t seem to want to listen how Tinnitus impacted my life. She just seemed to want to find some other reason why I might have Tinnitus. She keep asking about if I go hunting or to a shooting range. Then if I own a motorcycle or loud lawn equipment. I told I didn’t but she asked a second and third time about the same thing at which point I felt she was badgering me.

We started the hearing test and to my surprise my hearing was better than I expected. I don’t know if she played with the equipment but it sure didn’t feel right, but the results are the results. So I doubt I would get any rating for hearing loss. As for the Tinnitus I assume it is what opinion she puts in her report but I have little hope it will be in my favor.

Overall I didn’t find her to be a very professional and wish that they had choose another doctor to do the testing. Just wondering if anyone has any comment about LHI as a contractor?

• By Scottish_Knight
      Greetings all,
      I served from 1988 to 2009, roughly 18 of those 21 years were as an Army CID Special Agent.  In 2001, I was shot in the leg, which destroy the femur.  This occurred on a US military installation, however I was taken to a civilian hospital for the surgery and was later transferred to a MEDDAC.  The bullet traveled through the femur, so a rod was inserted with two lower and two upper screws.  I lost not only length in the leg (2cm) but my hamstring atrophied.  Since then, I've encountered continued pain in my knee and hip.  All was documented in my military medical records.  Often times, the pain would have me seek medical attention about 2 times per year, which again is documented.

I underwent surgery last year to remove one of the screws (all are now broken) that was pressing against a tendon causing extreme pain.  The surgeon explained the others will need be replaced and I will also need a hip replacement in the coming years.  The pain continues.

My VA exam was in 2009 and at that time the length difference in my legs was disclosed to me for the first time and as xrays were obtained, the screws were discovered to be broken.  The VA Rating Decision gave me 0%. 

Unknown to me was the appeal process.  Last year, I found someone who is helping me with the appeal.  I live in a remote part of southern Germany, so connection to other retirees and vets is nil.

This week, through my appeal representative, the VA has contacted me.  They want all the background information on the shooting.  They require the who, what, when, where, why, and how of this incident.  I am also to supply them with records I have that they don't.  First, they have a copy of my entire medical record.  How am I to know what they don't have?  Second, the Rating Decision states that this injury was service connected and in the line of duty, so why is the background information required?  Had I been shot while in Afghanistan would they be asking the same questions?

Perhaps I simply do not know exactly how the VA adjudicates the claims.  As this is not a presumptive matter, evidence of the injury must be presented.  They have that in the form of my military medical records.  Do the circumstances behind the shooting hold weight on determining the extent of either the injury or the level and percentage of my disability?  Does the background on an injury play some part of the adjudication process and awarded disability to which I am unaware?

Thank you in advance for any insight into this.
    • By Wico1337
      I did not see my most recent decision denial letter in the mail. Anyone know where I can get ALL of my past denial letters and their reasonings for denying me? Also, is there a way to see all of my service connections and their wording on why they were able to service connect me? 
      One reason I also want to know the reasons I am service connected to things is because I was recently approved for Hypertension. They denied me Sleep apnea in the past because of my weight. But I believe in this recent decision, I leveraged the fact that I gained weight due to my mental health service connection. And I was able to use that as a nexus for hypertension. I am now wanting to point toward that service connection approval and use it as an "It was recognized in my Hypertension claim that I gained weight from Anxiety/depression service connection. I am wanting to transfer that recognition to my reasoning for my service connection to sleep apnea. Since the VA had prior listed the reason that I have sleep apnea is due to my weight."

Anyone know where I can get past approval and denial letters with details of connections?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines