Jump to content
HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Fund HadIt.com

    $1,608.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021
  • 0

BVA Chairman's Report: Why its important to YOU!


  • Moderator

I usually review the BVA chairmans report, each time it comes out.  (Every year).  Why?


1.  It helps me choose "which" appeal method I will use:  BVA, HLR, SCL.  On page 32, 2019 version, I read that 20.6 percent, overall, of Veterans appeals are denied by the BVA.  I already know that about 80 percent of claims are denied at the VARO.  So, do you want a 20 percent chance of winning (at the VARO), or an 80 percent chance at the BOARD? 

2.  It helps me decide whether to hire an attorney or not.  If you look, also on Page 32, Attorney represented Vets fare far better than any of the VSO's.  Attorney's lose just 13 percent of the time, while Most VSO's are about double that. 

3.  It answers questions like, "can I appeal a VA life insurance waiver of premium denial".  It shows that the Board decided appeals on insurnace and other VA stuff. 

4.  It helps to find out "how long" I can expect my appeal at the BVA, because it gives time frames. 

    You just need to know where to look. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I usually review the BVA chairmans report, each time it comes out.  (Every year).  Why? https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp 1.  It helps me choose "which" appeal method I will us

Posted Images

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Ads

  • Ads

  • Similar Content

    • By Daniel F
      I know Hadit cannot address OTH Discharges But my case is different because the BVA decision states I based my claim on the wrong Army Regulation May 1956 instead of April 14, 1959. The Court found for the Boards decision, as this regulation was not before the Board at the time of the decision. I went over all AR'S but could not find this one, I finally found it in the Congressional Record of the 88th Congress 1962.  A Department of Defense directive dated 1-14-1959 Which became effective 90 days later on (April 14, 1959)Which cancelled and Superseded all other service regulations on administrative discharges. Stating the definition of what was misconduct and what was Unfitness. I was discharged by the Army under an Army Regulation that had been cancelled 2 years and 11 months before my discharge. I was discharged for a Personality Disorder for Unfitness. The VA found my discharge was for Willful and Persistent misconduct, DOD directive states I should be discharged for unsuitability for further retention in the service due to the diagnosis of a personality disorder. That my Character of service would be based solely on my service records which document no other problems documented by the record.
      The Courts decision was correct because I was discharged under provisions of DOD directive April 14, 1959,  (the CVA upheld the Board decision that I predicated my defense on the wrong army Regulation ) I was discharged on 3-23-1962, under an Army reg that was cancelled 3 years before my discharge under its provisions. The DOD directive is new and material evidence. The CVA decision in reality was favorable to my claim (Which the Court did not mean it to be)
      What are my options The Board decision was in August 2014 and the CVA decision was in 2016, what are my options and which other VA forms must be filed? I found the DOD directive about 5 months ago!
      Thank you
    • By Berta
      There are 1954 BVA decisions regarding CUE in 2020 alone.
      Many were denied, some were re-file-able, "without  prejudice "( meaning the claimant needs to perfect the CUE and re file it) and CUE is NOT a one shot deal, as many reps etc try to say,  and some certainly were awarded.
    • By dwbell99
      Anyone know a good lawyer to contact about representing me for my BVA and maybe CAVC?
    • By Oli Mac
      A friend of mine has a  BVA hearing coming up in Dec.  He does not want to travel  all the way to Wash DC because of the COVID.  What form, if any, should he use to tell the BVA that he will not be able to attend his hearing and that the BVA should decide his appeal without his presence?  Thanks in advance for all your help.  
  • Ads

  • Our picks

    • I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

      Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

      Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

      Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

      If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

      At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

      NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.


      Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

      1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

      RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

      RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

      2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

      RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 41 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

      I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

      My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

      Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
        • Like
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines