• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Trying to understand FOIA and Privacy Act when requesting C-File

Question

Hi all,

On July 2, I formally submitted a FOIA request for my C-File. I waited 20 business days, then submitted a FOIA appeal. Still nothing. Today I emailed to find out what is taking so long and I received the below message. What in the world is this abou

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Shane

Your request is not under the 20 business day timeframe because it is a Privacy request.  For information concerning the status of your request please contact:

Department of Veterans Affairs

Centralized Support Division

Attn: Marvis Harvey

9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis, MO  63132

Email:  CSD.VBARMC@va.gov

Customer Service No.:  1-888-533-4558

National Call Center:  1-800-827-1000

Fax:  314-253-4193

v/r,

Jacqueline (Jackie) Short

VACO FOIA Service       

Quality, Performance, and Risk (QPR)

Office of Information and Technology (OI&T)

Office: (202) 680-2004 / Fax: (202) 632-7581

vacofoiaservice@va.gov

FOIA Service Hotline: 1-877-750-3642

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Blahsaysme2u No promises but go to va.gov and submit a IRIS question on why the delay. It is under the "contact" header at the top. If you have been waiting a year and a half, maybe it will shake loose. Can't hurt by asking.

6 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Blahsaysme2u No promises but go to va.gov and submit a IRIS question on why the delay. It is under the "contact" header at the top. If you have been waiting a year and a half, maybe it will shake loose. Can't hurt by asking.

i have done that 3x now. i keep getting the same answer....we are working on it. i also contacted my congressman and he got a letter from the va he forwarded to me that said we are working on this and dont know why the veteran contacted you. its such BS

This is clearly a delay tactic the VA is using now. They have made it very, very difficult to get copies of contractor C&P exams and now they even make us wait 30 before the C&P exams done at the VAMC. Also, removing the 48 hours the VSOs had to review claims decisions is another example. The VA will say that this helps speed up the claims process but at what costs?

Without access to our c-files and exams, it makes it very difficult to fight for what we are due. 

It didn't used to be this way, but it's by design now. 

I submitted a request for copies of exams a few months ago and haven't heard a thing. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By rootbeer22
      Folks:

I always appreciated the fine advice that I've been given on this Hadit.com Board. There are a lot of very smart Vets and Spouses that continue to provide excellent advice here. Anyway, last August/2014 after getting some of that advice, I decided to request a copy my C-File because I've heard the numerous stories of missing evidence that has caused denials and subsequent long appeals. So, it been a long battle and I finally received a letter that I could drop by the Regional Office and review my C-file in person? Anyway, today I dropped by to see my VSO to ask why after 6 months my case is still under "review" only and she "scolded" me for submitting a C-File FOIA request without her? She said, by requesting my C-File, that the entire claims process stops for me until they get around to copying the file and sending to me? She said it adds at least 6 months to the process and I filed an FDC with all evidence. She said it best to get the file after your case is decided? So, I said, I thought with the new VBMS that all disability claims files where automatically being digitised anyway so it should be relatively easy to get a copy? Now, all new disability claims files "hard copy" are sent to 2 locations around the U.S. for processing/digitising and the RO's no longer do this function? Frankly, I was a little surprised that she had no idea of what VBMS was and I think her informaiton may be very dated? So far, I have not been very impressed with any of the VSO's that I've seen. It's no presonal, I just don't have much confidence in what they are saying/doing thus far?

Anyway, does anyone have any experience that their claims have been delayed significantly simply by requesting a copy of their C-Files?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines