VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bypassing the C&P Exam and speeding up the process

Rate this question

CapnHaddock

Question

Scene setter - Retired Navy vet who left service with 40% SC in 1981 - Degenerative joint disease - cervical spine 30%, Hypertension with mild renal insufficiency 10%, sinusitis 10%, bilateral hearing loss 0%.  At this moment the individual is in a nursing home with severe dementia (does not always recognize his wife), has COVID19 (asymptomatic) and has diagnosed severe kidney insufficiency moderate to severe.   I found out he had VA disability and after 2 months finally got the wife to ask the VA for what his disabilities are.  She has POA for him in all matters.  How do we get him evaluated for a possible increase on his kidney problem.  I am having them submit a ITF immediately - then we need to file on kidney and back issues.  Submit statements from the doctors and submit copies of their medical records I understand.  I am not sure he could handle a C&P.  Are there other options?  He is located on the Mississippi Coast.  

Edited by CapnHaddock
Spelling

4 answers to this question

A C and P is not "required" and normally not ordered "provided that" there is already evidence in the file.  

You can view the medical file and see if a doctor has documented sufficient evidence demonstrating symptoms have 

worsened since he was rated (the exam which gave his current disability rating).  

However, if the medical file does not indicate sufficient medical evidence, then you will need that.  This evidence does not

have to come from a VA doctor..any doctor or medical professional competent and qualified to asses this Vetrans medical condition will suffice.

This would not be the first Veteran who is/was unable to complete a c and p exam for health reasons.  

My advice:  Apply for the increase, and indicate the Veteran is "unable to leave the home" even for medical exams, and that, a C and P exam would need to be completed at the Veterans residence OR by video.  I think VA has permitted video exams because of covid 19.  He may need a doctors letter that this Veteran has been diagnosed with covid 19.  

Good luck, hope this helps a Vet.