VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&T

Rate this question

Michael420

Question

Hello, My  total combined disability is 90%.  70% MDD, 20% right shoulder glenohumeral joint osteoarthritis, 20% left shoulder chronic subluxation 

10% dermatitis ( due to chemical exposure ). 10% tinnitus, 0% sms( k).  0% scar.  I am receiving 100% TDIU.  

I recently had a C&P exam for re-evaluation of my 70% MDD

The decision letter states  1. Evaluation of MDD with bipolar disorder 70% disabling, is continued.  
                                             2. Basic eligibility to Dependent’s educational assistance is established from date of review resulting in cancellation of routine future examinations.  

my benefit verification letter now states.  You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities?  Yes

So even though my combined rating is 90%.  Am I now 100% P&T?  Am I  considered to be a 100% scheduler?   Is there a difference between P&T and T&P. Or are they the same. 

• Founder

p & t and t & p are the same thing. You are not schedular but for rating purposes you are 100% and will be paid that rate due to individual unemployability. You are permanent and totally disabled. The difference between tdiu and schedular is tdiu you can not work except in a sheltered environment.

Congratulations on your pemanancy.

2 minutes ago, Tbird said:

p & t and t & p are the same thing. You are not schedular but for rating purposes you are 100% and will be paid that rate due to individual unemployability. You are permanent and totally disabled. The difference between tdiu and schedular is tdiu you can not work except in a sheltered environment.

Congratulations on your pemanancy.

Thanks Tbird. So can you also clarify this I forgot to add

basic eligibility to “DEA” is granted as the evidence shows you currently have a total service- connected disability. Permanent in nature. 
also I have short term memory issues and also have a hard time comprehending and understanding things.  I apologize if I seem repetitive in asking same ?s.  Do I receive the same benefits as a 100% scheduler?  And can they take or reduce my rating after being determined permanently and totally disabled. And should I continue to put in more claims. There’s a couple that’s been denied should I reapply.   Like GERD. I HAD C&Ps for everything thing else I claimed  they never scheduled one for GERD.  AND MY SMRs show I was seen numerous times for the condition.  Thank you 

• Founder

@Michael420 Yes your benefits are the same as 100% schedular. Your rating is protected based on the number of years you have it read this article. Now whether you should keep filing claims some will say not and some will say yes. I say yes because after 100% there are special monthly compensation rates that may increase your pay. For example if you become housebound or need aid and attendance at some point. 

Congratulations.  Yes, your benefits "are the same as" 100 percent schedular..pay and most other things as well.  Since you are P and T, be sure to get "the other" benefits to which you are now entitled:

1.  10,000 free life insurance.  https://www.va.gov/life-insurance/   

2.  State benefits.  These vary by state.  In my state you get free camping, free license plate, free hunting and fishing license, and a reduction (or elimination) of property tax.  You must apply for those.  

3.  Champva.  This is the best insurance for your spouse and dependents money cant buy.  Have your wife apply, its a great benefit.  

4.  Education (DEA).  Your children can get over 1000 per month to go to school, provided that you meet VA rules.   https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/dependents-education-assistance/

5.  MWR.  This means you can get into and shop the PX (aka BX) on your nearby or not so nearby post.  In my state that means no sales tax on products on base.  My post also has an amazing wood shop, where you can use those tools, and also an auto shop.  You may have to pay a nominal fee to cover some of the woodshop/auto shop expenses, but its well worth it if you work on cars or with wood.  

On 6/12/2019 at 6:23 AM, foreveryoung said:

I was awarded 100% TDIU P&T effective in 2011, I had a few other claims being processed. About two years ago, I was awarded a new 50% rating and the VA appears to have moved me to 100% schedular P&T. No future exams. I have a few questions. Does VA moving me to 100% schedular eliminate my TDIU status in the VA eyes? The reason I'm asking is I was thinking about getting a part time job to keep busy and pay into SS to complete my 40 quarters. It was my understanding that if you were TDIU you can not be employed. But, since the VA changed my status to 100% P&T does that open the door for me to work at all?

Also, after 10 years or more being rated at 100% P&T does that provide my spouse  access to DIC?

You are the only person I have read about going from tdiu to a scheduler rating. I am currently rated at 70% tdiu for depression. I have had this rating for 7 years. I want to shoot for a scheduler 100 % rating.  Do you have any suggestions for me? I am also looking for a lawyer who has done this before.