VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neuro exam from VA

Rate this question

Grumpy1972

Question

I just took a neuro exam and the Dr. Said it was invalid due to low test scores. I have memory issues, ptsd, and was involved in a dismounted ied which rattled me. Physician stated there was no way the blast could cause a mild tbi and concluded my test scored were invalid, what does this mean. 

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Grumpy1972 The short answer is you need some professional help. I assume "the Doc" is a VA doc, and probably during a C&P exam. In any case, his opinion is the one of record. You need to get your own medical doctor's opinion on your condition. Get evaluated by an outside doc, preferably a MH doc,  and if his eval shows that you do meet some criteria for TBI/mental health disability, you need an IMO from him saying so. If he agrees with the VA doc, then it is more likely than not that your symptoms are not bad enough currently. I assume you proved with your service records that the incident occurred. If he agrees with you, then you have a basis for an appeal. But you need the favorable diagnosis.

It wasn't for a c and p exam. I have ptsd 70% with memory issues. The first eval was done outside of VA and stated extreme memory issues. 3 years later the VA requested another neuro exam. I stated I had been involved in an ied blast which I was with four others, two are in prison and one is in bad shape also. The last exam was a VA neuro which disputed the findings of the civilian dr. My concentration and memory, anxiety and hypervigilence never stops. I am not even claiming TBI, I was trying to figure out where my memory issues and other items are stemming from. But to call the test invalid, I do not understand because I tried. 

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Hi Grumpy1972 The short answer is you need some professional help. I assume "the Doc" is a VA doc, and probably during a C&P exam. In any case, his opinion is the one of record. You need to get your own medical doctor's opinion on your condition. Get evaluated by an outside doc, preferably a MH doc,  and if his eval shows that you do meet some criteria for TBI/mental health disability, you need an IMO from him saying so. If he agrees with the VA doc, then it is more likely than not that your symptoms are not bad enough currently. I assume you proved with your service records that the incident occurred. If he agrees with you, then you have a basis for an appeal. But you need the favorable diagnosis.

I had a series of low scores. I've just contacted my civilian dr. To request another exam. 

I was in an electrical explosion in 1988 which resulted a 3 week hospital stay a 1 month  convelesent leave, causing mild memory loss. I eventually retired from the military in 2010 but had headaches throughout my entire career documented in my Medical service Records.  I saw the Medical personnel when checking out for Discharge and documentation was annotated on my injuries of headaches, 3x knee surgeries, 1 & 2nd burns I was rated 30% disabled.  I started continuous if claim for headaches.  Was eventually diagnosed with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus by V.A. and increased to 70% with memory loss. I had to resign from my job. In 2017 applied for SSDI and was approved 1st time 100% at 57 years old.  Reapplied for increase for V.A. 100% disability and was approved due to Traumatic Brain injury with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus w/shunt and memory loss. It to 8 years, but it took lots of doctors visits and patience.  

• HadIt.com Elder
3 hours ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations, Proudvet (George).  I was also a PO2 (Second Class Petty Officer..E5).

Dont forget to get your free (no cost to you) 10,000 life insurance if this is a recent decision (within 2 years).  

That makes 3 of us. 

The recently passed bill Hr 7105 raises the Amount of Supplemental life insurance to 40K in Jan 2023.