VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Slow & Steady Wins The Race!!!

Rate this topic

LightofSolitude

It looks like my battle with the VA has finally come to an end. I never gave up fighting. I was recently granted service connection for Obstructive Sleep Apnea at 50% at the regional office level. This now puts me at a combined "90% Schedular with TDIU." That was the last claim that I had pending with the VA. The VA has also sent me several additional forms with my award letter that I was not expecting. These forms are as follows:

1. VA Form 21-8760: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR VETERANS WITH SERVICE-CONNECTED PERMANENT AND TOTAL DISABILITY

2. VA Form 22-5490: DEPENDENTS’ APPLICATION FOR VA EDUCATION BENEFITS (Under Provisions of chapters 33 and 35, of title 38 U.S.C.)

3. VA Form 21-686c: NOTICE TO BENEFICIARY / CLAIMANT REGARDING THE INFORMATION AND EVIDENCE NEEDED TO SUPPORT A CLAIM FOR ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR A DEPENDENT OR TO REMOVE A DEPENDENT FROM AN AWARD

Note: The application form is also attached with my award letter: “APPLICATION REQUEST TO ADD AND/OR REMOVE DEPENDENTS”

4. VA Form 21-8764: DISABILITY COMPENSATION AWARD ATTACHMENT IMPORTANT INFORMATION

5. Fraud Prevention: Protect Your Benefits Form

Does this mean that they awarded me P&T? I am completely exhausted after this six year and two month battle and would like to take a short vacation from the VA claims process (mostly to focus on my health and have some semblance of a life). Fear not, I will continue to contribute to this website as much as my disabilities allow me to do so. I am eternally grateful to everyone on this forum and the priceless knowledge that is on Hadit.com. I will definitely be donating here again in the near future. Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this website. You guys are the real heroes!

20 minutes ago, LightofSolitude said:

1. VA Form 21-8760: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR VETERANS WITH SERVICE-CONNECTED PERMANENT AND TOTAL DISABILITY

2. VA Form 22-5490: DEPENDENTS’ APPLICATION FOR VA EDUCATION BENEFITS (Under Provisions of chapters 33 and 35, of title 38 U.S.C.)

These two points prove that VA considers you as TDIU P & T.

You can go to ebenefits and go to documents create a letter and print up your disability letter for your personal copy. 

Congratulations!! 

HEY, CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY 

🎅🎄🎁🎅

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes!!! Congrats for not giving up and pushing thru it. Long battle, but you got it.  Take a little time off and come back to help others!

1 hour ago, pacmanx1 said:

You can go to ebenefits and go to documents create a letter and print up your disability letter for your personal copy.

Thanks for the info! I actually just created an eBenefits account and navigated to the generate letters section. At the bottom of the benefits summary it states the following:

"You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service connected disabilities: "No"

But then it has a checkbox to the left of that statement where I can uncheck it and not include that in the letter being generated. Very strange. I know eBenefits has a history of being inaccurate and it seems weird to me that VA would send me all those additional forms with my award letter if I wasn't actually P&T. The date on my award letter was October 14th 2020, so maybe it hasn't updated in eBenefits yet? 

Congratulations! 

Most decisions, rather than come right out and say "You are permanent and Total", use phrases like "No additional exams are scheduled", and more importantly, "Entitlement to DEA Chapter 35 benefits are established." 

Dont forget your additional benefits you "may" not have thought of:

1.  Champva for your spouse.  This is a big deal, high quality health insurance for your spouse at no charge. 

2.  College for your kids.  Im showing $1265 per month for each of your kids for college:  https://www.military.com/education/money-for-school/dependents-educational-assistance-dea.html

3.  10,000 Free (waiver of premiums) life insurance on you.  Dont even think of skipping this benefit, "even if" you dont need insurance.  This is whole life, which means it builds cash value.  I have had this since 2007, and I could cash out at about half of the face amount. 

4.  Your state probably has Vets benefits.  Some examples are free or  partially free property insurance on your home, free disabled vet license plates, free hunting or fishing license, etc. etc. 

5.  Base benefits..my post does not charge sales tax, and that is a big savings. 

6.  More. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use