HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

107%
    $1,608.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

Slow & Steady Wins The Race!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks like my battle with the VA has finally come to an end. I never gave up fighting. I was recently granted service connection for Obstructive Sleep Apnea at 50% at the regional office level. Thi

Congratulations!    Most decisions, rather than come right out and say "You are permanent and Total", use phrases like "No additional exams are scheduled", and more importantly, "Entitlement to D

Congratulations! 

Most decisions, rather than come right out and say "You are permanent and Total", use phrases like "No additional exams are scheduled", and more importantly, "Entitlement to DEA Chapter 35 benefits are established." 

Dont forget your additional benefits you "may" not have thought of:

1.  Champva for your spouse.  This is a big deal, high quality health insurance for your spouse at no charge. 

2.  College for your kids.  Im showing $1265 per month for each of your kids for college:  https://www.military.com/education/money-for-school/dependents-educational-assistance-dea.html

3.  10,000 Free (waiver of premiums) life insurance on you.  Dont even think of skipping this benefit, "even if" you dont need insurance.  This is whole life, which means it builds cash value.  I have had this since 2007, and I could cash out at about half of the face amount. 

4.  Your state probably has Vets benefits.  Some examples are free or  partially free property insurance on your home, free disabled vet license plates, free hunting or fishing license, etc. etc. 

5.  Base benefits..my post does not charge sales tax, and that is a big savings. 

6.  More. 

• Like 2

Shrekthetank1, Pacmanx1, GBarmy, TBird and Broncovet, thanks again for all of your support and pointing me in the right direction. It feels like a freight train has been lifted off of my shoulders. I am definitely going to stick around and help other veterans as much as I can!

@Broncovet: I am definitely going to apply for the life insurance. I'm reading the pamphlet now and exploring the options that they have listed. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By LightofSolitude
      Forgive me for the late post, as I actually got this decision at the end of July 2020. It took two months for it to sink in to my thick head. I was increased to 80% combined disability. Here is the kicker: the VA also awarded TDIU along with that increase. Even more surprising is this: this was a “regional office adjudication” and not a BVA appeal. At this point, I have had three decisions (the initial 50% award, which was then CUE’d and increased to 60% by a second decision. A subsequent increase was filed again and about 10 months later was increased again to a combined 80% with TDIU.)
      All three of my decisions came from the regional office level and as of now, I have never been to the BVA.  I know this gets said a lot on this website but I cannot stress this enough:
      “Never. Ever. Give. Up.”
      I hope this encourages someone out there to keep fighting the good fight. The TDIU I was awarded is not permanent, and I still have one more claim pending. Therefore, my fight with the VA will continue. It took me an initial five years to go from nothing to 50% and ten more months after that to go from 50% to 80% with TDIU, all at the regional office level. That is nothing short of a miracle in my humble opinion.
      One more thing, I dropped another donation to Hadit.com. The information and wisdom on this website is truly a Godsend!!!
    • By 1994andcouting.....
      Hello Hadit members,
      it has been a while since I posted. I believe that my last post was regarding an Earlier Effective Date NOD that I filed in 2015. I received the SOC last year, submitted my Form 9 this year, returned it and am now waiting to be certified to the BVA.

A little background:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/63190-70-service-connected/#gsc.tab=0
      https://community.hadit.com/topic/63830-what-evidence-is-needed-for-an-eed/?tab=comments#comment-386303&gsc.tab=0
      I sent a letter requesting a discharge upgrade in 2015 at the same time that I submitted the NOD. However, I did not file the proper form and never got a response. This year, due to another process that is going on, my General Under Honorable - Personality Disorder discharge came up again. At that moment, I realized that although its seems that I have not been affected by the stigma attached to that reason, when it comes to official business, it does harm veterans. 

The same day that I submitted the Form 9 for my appeal, I took the initiative to make copies and submit almost identical paperwork to the Board of Naval Corrections to have my discharge upgraded. 

On June 11th, “in the interest of justice” a decision was made and I am now an honorably discharged veteran (characterization). The narrative is being changed to Secretarial Authority and the reinlistment code was changed to RE-1J (Eligible to reenlist but elected to separate). I did not receive the letter because it was sent to my old address, but after many calls, bad numbers and full mailboxes a wonderful lady took the time to speak to me and personally forwarded me the information last week. 

I just want to say that I have spent countless hours online here at Hadit and other sites, reading BVA cases, reading WARMS, 38CFR’s, speaking to other veterans and watching Chris Attig and other videos on YouTube to get a good understanding of how the various processes work.  I have decided that if I  win this EED appeal then I will believe that I am able to help other veterans with their claims. I have done my share of sharing websites, videos and posting information on social media but  I do not have the confidence to help on a larger scale. I am afraid that I will mess something up. Will I ever be a VSO? Probably not but at least I will be able to guide someone in the right direction. 

I just wanted to write this to encourage others to never give up and keep fighting for what’s right. I know that we all have had struggles with the VA but do not give up. It took me over 21 years to get service connected and over 26 years to get up the nerve to apply for the upgrade. Please please do not give up. I have been a member of Hadit for almost 10 years and although I do not post much I am always on or sending others this way for help. 
      Love and hugs, 
      txcooper aka 1994 and counting

• Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 41 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines