VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims timeline

Rate this question

Joey Ross

Question

There is no one working in the National Records centers due to covid. The records centers don't have remote access to records, so all fed record requests are backed up. 

It is for us, too. 

CAS

20 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

There is no one working in the National Records centers due to covid. The records centers don't have remote access to records, so all fed record requests are backed up. 

It is for us, too. 

CAS

@brokensoldier244th I had a FOIA request into my VARO for my exam notes from telecon exams done in April & July.  I know va.gov isnt gospel but the request was listed as "closed" on 9/25 and i havent received any paperwork or even a letter syaing it was denied. Same as my C-File request that has been in since april (and i have pending claims so i didnt think it would be closed until after claims are finished) which was closed as of 2 weeks ago.

not sure whats going on if i should refile the requests or what.

I wouldn't know  unless I knew 'you' to look it up. Every fed records request we are getting at the VSR level has its suspense dates kicked out 30 each time it comes back around for the time being because the requests themselves are queued up and the only records that are being located are for terminal, AO, over age 85- stuff like that, and even that is on a limited basis. We don't 'close' records requests, at least on my end, unless there is a negative response- meaning "we can't find them...." not just a non-response.

We have to get something back from them before we close it out, otherwise they have been staying open as requests. This is for everyone, even me- if I were to file a claim for something that needed specific research, like a unit location to verify a stressor or something I would be in the same boat. As an employee Im locked out of my own records, and we aren't treated any differently than any other claim other than no one in our home RO can work a claim for an employee of that RO. 

On 10/27/2020 at 10:52 AM, brokensoldier244th said:

I wouldn't know  unless I knew 'you' to look it up. Every fed records request we are getting at the VSR level has its suspense dates kicked out 30 each time it comes back around for the time being because the requests themselves are queued up and the only records that are being located are for terminal, AO, over age 85- stuff like that, and even that is on a limited basis. We don't 'close' records requests, at least on my end, unless there is a negative response- meaning "we can't find them...." not just a non-response.

We have to get something back from them before we close it out, otherwise they have been staying open as requests. This is for everyone, even me- if I were to file a claim for something that needed specific research, like a unit location to verify a stressor or something I would be in the same boat. As an employee Im locked out of my own records, and we aren't treated any differently than any other claim other than no one in our home RO can work a claim for an employee of that RO. 

Ok, with that being said, are we talking next year or longer? It's bull$hit

How is it bullshit? Its a federal directive to them and their agency. THEY don't have the capability to work from home like we do because THEY have to have physical proximity to the records. The whole point of the repository is that its for records that aren't scanned yet. Its not like they aren't working to make your day go worse. Try asking the powers that be when they will take Covid seriously and actually attempt to mitigate it, then we might see case counts drop, and then be able to go back to the office. I haven't been in my officer ever- I was hired, onboarded, trained, and have been working from home since March. I showed up 1 time to do fingerprinting for biometrics. This was authorized by OPM (office personnel management) and approved by federal directive, so, blame whomoever you want, start at the top and work down. 

Our RO, and the others, can't open, either, but at least we have access to the claims records to keep working those. Many of them don't require any special verification, but hazardous exposure, PTSD, etc, some of those need more evidence than just the veteran saying so, and if they served far enough back their records are still on paper. By statute if we don't have OMPF and STRs we can't fully complete a claim for rating because we don't have all the evidence to justify an in service event or continuing chronicity. Yes, it sucks- for you, and form me, because I have a bunch of claims every week that I can't work on, either- and im one of those people that that pisses off beause I don't LIKE leaving claims unfinished. Id rather I be able to work them ,send them to exams, or send them to rating if all the evidence is there. 

Our opening plan hinges on at least 2-3 weeks of steadily DROPPING case counts. That aint happening where I am- its been going up every week for the last month and a half, every week more than the last. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• HadIt.com Elder

I know this covid crap is serious but also some folks can take advantage of it.  working at home from the computer is good and for the kids to do their classroom work    like the news media is doing ,most of them work from home and some stay at the TV Stations... or take turns ect,,,,ect,,

but in this case  they need to be at the workplace physically to find our records ((as brokensoldier 244th mention) but if they follow the protocol procedures  then it looks like they could go to work,  wear mask ,wear gloves and maybe a protective coat.

Getting a Veterans benefits  ASAP should be top priority.but this covid has things turned upside down  and we all need to be cautious of it and protect ourselves.and  in consideration to others.  

All we can do is hang in there and work good together and pray this covid virus moves out of the country and stays out.