HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

111%
    $1,668.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

100% P&T But Code Sheet (and VSO and VA phone rep) Indicated I have a Re Eval Scheduled

Question

I was awarded 100% PT for several issues about a year ago. My code sheet (from my FOIA request and confirmed verbally by my VSO, and then by a VA phone rep) indicates that everything rating is 'static' except for my back issue(40%) and radiculopothy for both legs (20% each). Those two items are listed with a re eval scheduled for about 8 mos from now. I am confused how I am P&T but still having to do a Re eval. To make things more confusing I am 100% static for mental health stuff. Even if the reduced my back I would still be 100% for MH stuff alone. 

Any thoughts?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I was thinking the exact same thing! 

USAF K9 I would send an IRIS inquiry to the VA and ask for clarification in writing.

Veteran's confusion is VA's favorite weapon.   Have you been granted DEA Chapter 35 benefits for your kids and Champva for your spouse?  THESE are definite signs you ARE P and T.   VA makes

USAF K9 I would send an IRIS inquiry to the VA and ask for clarification in writing.

• Like 1

Veteran's confusion is VA's favorite weapon.  

Have you been granted DEA Chapter 35 benefits for your kids and Champva for your spouse?  THESE are definite signs you ARE P and T.  

VA makes their decisions confusing.  

Does your "letters" in VA's ebenefits allow you to print a letter that says you are permanent and Total?  

Would "eliminating" your back issues, and your radiculopothy ratings change anything?  As an example, if you are PTSD 100 percent and back issues 40 percent and 20 percent for radiculopthy, then those ratings are unlikely to matter.  

My advice is to focus on "what is important".  As far as DIC goes, you are highly unlikely to die from back issues or radiculopathy.  

If your back or radiculopathy have not improved since your c and p exam which was used to rate you, then dont worry about it.  VA calls stuff like that "harmless error".  For example, VA may misspell a word on your decision.  It does not change the outcome.  

"IF" this conflict (P and T) vs (exams scheduled), makes a difference, then you can take some actions.  But, if not, well, sleep well tonite.  

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Would "eliminating" your back issues, and your radiculopothy ratings change anything?  As an example, if you are PTSD 100 percent and back issues 40 percent and 20 percent for radiculopthy, then those ratings are unlikely to matter.  

I was thinking the exact same thing! 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, GBArmy said:

I appreciate it.  I did not know I could do that.  I will wait until I get a little closer to the appointment and do that.  I noticed that the re-eval was scheduled back before I was awarded P&T.  So part of me is holding out hope that the re-eval notice is just still lingering in the system, and that a human being will see it closer to the exam and just squash it.  I know, probably unlikely.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By brokensoldier244th
      If you have a vendor exam and they cancel because of Covid they are supposed to reschedule when they are able, and alert us as well through our portal of the exam status (we log onto them and check anyway just in case). However if YOU call and cancel an exam and don't reschedule (due to covid, difficulty, whatever) they are NOT reaching back out to reschedule. They are NOT closing the exams request, it just sits in stasis....and sits.....and sits....... you have to call them, or call/write/email/21-4138 US  so we can contact them to let them know you are open for scheduling contact again.

This just started in the last 2 weeks or so. There is no mass letter yet from us, and I don't know if the vendors sent anything out or not. Here is what I have been sending to veterans that cross my desk that are in this situation. I got called out on it this morning by a Quality evaluator through my boss, but once I explained WHY I sent a letter (how are vets supposed know if the vendors don't tell them, and VA hasn't ginned up a letter of their own yet?) he decided to take it back up the chain so I wouldn't get dinged for an unnecessary action that might delay a claim, and possibly add my text block to our list of 'canned' responses so we don't have to type so much.

"Veteran Name...."
      Vendors for Exams are no longer contacting veterans that have been unavailable for
      appointments due to concerns about Covid-19. The exam request is still valid, but they are
      waiting for contact back from the veteran before rescheduling examinations. Please
      contact [VENDOR]  to reschedule to indicate willingness for physical or telehealth examination, or
      contact VA at 1-800-827-1000 to let us know so we can contact the Vendor, or in writing via Ebenefits (VA Form 21-4138) if you  wish to reschedule or no longer wish to have these examinations performed.
    • By cathyjourdan
      HI,
      Okay quick question and I hope I get some quick advice before its too late.  Okay so I put in for an increase in my husband's ihd, and his lungs because he's had terrible residuals since he had radiation for lung cancer.  We applied for the caregiver program and was approved but the lady told me that his 100% for his lungs was temporary (which I knew) and that I should be trying to get him increased or made P&T so that his overall average would never go below 70%.  So I put it in.  Well the rep at the VA went in and said that he was Permanent and Total...yay.  So I thought they were done because I saw the notice saying a decision letter was being mailed.  However, today a lady calls and says she will be scheduling him for a c&p for his lungs.  Well as it stands he has 100% for his lungs.  They have not set the appointment yet...should I go in and request this cancelled?  THere is nothing to gain and I'm thinking the wrong doc could certainly give something to lose especially since she said they will be using a community doctor.  It's a moot issue right now right?   If they haven't made a decision which obviously they haven't can I cancel or is it too late?

• By cathyjourdan
      Okay my husband is rated as follows: 10% tinnitus, 30% Ischemic heart, 40% hearing loss and 100% temp lung malignancy.  He's had that temp 100% for over two years.  He's had all kinds of heart issues since the original heart rating to include two stents, a new aortic valve and chronic congestive heart failure, all of which are documented in his VA file. He is a mess and I take care of everything for him.  I applied for the caregiver program and have just been approved.  The people with that program told me I need to see about getting his heart rating up and to request he be rated permanent and total.
      I put in the completed claim and they did a C&P in December.  I just saw the c&p report.  Here is what it says:
      PERTINENT HISTORY:1966-1968 USA Viet Nam 1968. OCCUPATIONAL HX: Retired 1993. PMH: SC CAD, SC Lung Cancer S/P Radiation, COPD. PSH (with results): TAVR. 2019. SH: 50 pk/yr of tobacco use, stopped 2014. Denies ETOH.
      1. Diagnosis ------------ Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a heart condition? [X] Yes [ ] No [X] Coronary artery disease Date of diagnosis: SC [X] Heart valve replacement Date of diagnosis: 2019 2. Medical History ------------------ a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's heart condition(s) (brief summary): Veteran is SC for CAD. Reports having several stents in past several years, no stents in past year. Veteran reports a significant noncardiac hx, has a hx of COPD and non small cell lung cancer s/p radiation. Currently using 5 l O2 for COPD. b. Do any of the Veteran's heart conditions qualify within the generally accepted medical definition of ischemic heart disease (IHD)? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, list the conditions that qualify: CAD/IHD. c. Provide the etiology, if known, of each of the Veteran's heart conditions, including the relationship/causality to other heart conditions, particularly the relationship/causality to the Veteran's IHD conditions, if any: Heart condition #1: Provide etiology Presumptive AO exposure.
      Heart condition #2: Provide etiology Hyperlipidemia d. Is continuous medication required for control of the Veteran's heart condition? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, list medications required for the Veteran's heart condition (include name of medication and heart condition it is used for, such as atenolol for myocardial infarction or atrial fibrillation): ASA, Meotoprolol 3. Myocardial infarction (MI) ----------------------------- Has the Veteran had a myocardial infarction (MI)? [X] Yes [ ] No MI #1: Date and treatment facility: 1/16/2002 Fort Myers, Florida. 4. Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) --------------------------------- Has the Veteran had congestive heart failure (CHF)? [ ] Yes [X] No 5. Arrhythmia ------------- Has the Veteran had a cardiac arrhythmia? [ ] Yes [X] No 6. Heart valve conditions ------------------------- Has the Veteran had a heart valve condition? [X] Yes [ ] No a. Valves affected (check all that apply): [X] Aortic b. Describe type of valve condition for each checked valve: AS. S/P TAVR. 7. Infectious heart conditions ------------------------------ Has the Veteran had any infectious cardiac conditions, including active valvular infection (including rheumatic heart disease), endocarditis, pericarditis or syphilitic heart disease? [ ] Yes [X] No 8. Pericardial adhesions ------------------------ Has the Veteran had pericardial adhesions? [ ] Yes [X] No 9. Procedures ------------- Has the Veteran had any non-surgical or surgical procedures for the treatment of a heart condition? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, indicate the non-surgical or surgical procedures the Veteran has had for the treatment of heart conditions (check all that apply): [X] Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) (angioplasty) Indicate date of treatment or date of admission if admitted for treatment and treatment facility: 1. 2002 Coronary Stent, Charlotte Florida. 2. 5/2015 Stents Mid RCA/Proximal Circumflex, Keesler AFB. Indicate the condition that resulted in the need for this procedure/treatment: 1. CAD 2. CAD. [X] Valve replacement If checked, indicate valve(s) that have been replaced (check all that apply): [X] Aortic Indicate date of admission for treatment and treatment facility for each checked valve: 12/2019 TAVR Ocean Springs Indicate the condition that resulted in the need for this procedure/treatment: Hyperlipidemia. 10. Hospitalizations -------------------- Has the Veteran had any other hospitalizations for the treatment of heart conditions (other than for non-surgical and surgical procedures described above)? [ ] Yes [X] No
      11. Physical exam ----------------- a. Heart rate: 90 b. Rhythm: [X] Regular [ ] Irregular c. Point of maximal impact: [X] Not palpable [ ] 4th intercostal space [ ] 5th intercostal space [ ] Other, specify: d. Heart sounds: [X] Normal [ ] Abnormal, specify: e. Jugular-venous distension: [ ] Yes [X] No f. Auscultation of the lungs: [X] Clear [ ] Bibasilar rales [ ] Other, describe: g. Peripheral pulses: Dorsalis pedis: [X] Normal [ ] Diminished [ ] Absent Posterior tibial: [X] Normal [ ] Diminished [ ] Absent h. Peripheral edema: Right lower extremity: [ ] None [X] Trace [ ] 1+ [ ] 2+ [ ] 3+ [ ] 4+ Left lower extremity: [ ] None [X] Trace [ ] 1+ [ ] 2+ [ ] 3+ [ ] 4+ i. Blood pressure: 126/70 12. Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs, symptoms and scars ------------------------------------------------------------------------ a. Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs or symptoms related to any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? [ ] Yes [X] No b. Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? [ ] Yes [X] No c. Comments, if any: No response provided 13. Diagnostic Testing ---------------------- a. Is there evidence of cardiac hypertrophy? [ ] Yes [X] No b. Is there evidence of cardiac dilatation? [ ] Yes [X] No
      c. Diagnostic tests Indicate all testing completed; provide only most recent results which reflect the Veteran's current functional status (check all that apply): [X] Echocardiogram Date of echocardiogram: 7/10/2019 Left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF): 55 % Wall motion: [X] Normal [ ] Abnormal, describe: Wall thickness: [X] Normal [ ] Abnormal, describe: [X] Coronary artery angiogram Date of angiogram: 8/6/2019 Result: [ ] Normal [X] Abnormal, describe: Prior stents patent. No new significant lesions. 14. METs Testing ---------------- Indicate all testing completed; provide only most recent results which reflect the Veteran's current functional status (check all that apply): a. Exercise stress test No response provided. b. If an exercise stress test was not performed, provide reason: [X] Exercise stress testing is not required as part of Veteran's current treatment plan and this test is not without significant risk c. [X] Interview-based METs test Date of interview-based METs test: 12/7/2020 Symptoms during activity: The METs level checked below reflects the lowest activity level at which the Veteran reports any of the following symptoms attributable to a cardiac condition (check all symptoms that the Veteran reports at the indicated METs level of activity): [X] Dyspnea [X] Angina [X] Syncope Results of interview-based METs test METs level on most recent interview-based METs test: [X] (1-3 METs) This METs level has been found to be consistent
      a shower, slow walking (2 mph) for 1-2 blocks d. Has the Veteran had both an exercise stress test and an interview-based METs test? [ ] Yes [X] No e. Is the METs level limitation provided above due solely to the heart condition(s) that the Veteran is claiming in the Diagnosis Section? [ ] Yes [X] No If no, complete Section 14f. f. What is the estimated METs level due solely to the cardiac condition(s) listed above? (If this is different than METs reported above because of co-morbid conditions, provide METs level and Rationale below.) METs level METs level on most recent interview-based METs test: [X] The limitation in METs level is due to multiple medical conditions including the heart condition(s); it is not possible to accurately estimate the percent of METs limitation attributable to each medical condition g. Comments, if any: METS is based on general conditioning, natural age and combined medical conditions. Most middle aged individuals have a METS 5-7; and most elderly individuals have a METS of 3-5 - irrespective of heart function. Therefore, the veterans LVEF is more accurate representation of his/her cardiac function at this time. 15. Functional impact --------------------- Does the Veteran's heart condition(s) impact his or her ability to work? [ ] Yes [X] No 16. Remarks, if any ------------------- No remarks provided.

Okay so I don't have a clue how this will come out.  Ebenefits says that a Regulatory and Procedural Review opened on Dec 15 and closed on December 23.  Decision letter mailed, allow 7-10 days.
      Any thoughts on this report?  One issue I have with this and its a big one if he is denied or lowered and that is that my husband has Chronic Congestive heart failure and has been in the hospital twice this year for treatment of this and pneumonia. It is on his active list of things wrong with him and is documented as being treated when in the hospital.  So I don't get how this guy could so blatantly say he doesn't have it.
      Any insight would be appreciated and who should I call if I don't get this letter soon?  I'm trying to be patient because I know the mail is really messed up out there.  Thanks in advance.
    • By Lfox
      my saga
      90% TDIU 8 years
      7 back surgeries, 20% degenerative disc, 10% Radiculopathy, 70% stress disorder, 30% bladder
      During one of my later surgeries on my spine the operation went completely sideways. They were installing a spinal stimulator and it didn’t go well. When I woke up I was paralyzed from the neck down and bleeding internally at the surgical site. I had to be rushed back and reopened to rectify the screw up. After I woke up the second time, I regained most of my movement back except for the use of my bladder. I’ve never urinated naturally since that day and man do I really, really miss it. I have to use a two foot piece of tubing in order to extract the urine. Which you could imagine builds up some animosity over the years. Coupled with a bad case ED from this procedure now we’re really having fun. I did get the bladder connected rate away and left it at that. My tendency to ignore things I don’t know how to process really hampers my existence.
      So my only interactions with the VA was just calling every three months to renew my gear and meds. Fast forward to 14 months ago I woke up one morning screaming because it felt like my balls had gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. It’s been 14 god awful months and it still hasn’t subdued. It hurts so bad I vomit regularly due to the pain. My blood pressure was sent out of control.The headaches are also unreal. I even had some old hernias repaired on my gut to see if just maybe that would help, it didn’t. It was suggested it was a nerve spinal issue. So 5 days ago, I go get an mri done on the surgical site. My doctor calls me and tells me to come in and didn’t elaborate on the test. I did so and he then informs me I had a stoke in my spine, from the surgery, Also that the bladder hypertension, headaches and testicular pain were connected to this issue.
      As far as the VA said they pretty much told me it was a medical mystery all these years and it might come back. They never said anything about a stroke and just thought it was the pressure on my spine when I was filling up with blood during the surgery. All the built up and suppressed rage from over the years came flooding out. I broke down, but am ok now. But, I’m worried that I my die from this sooner or later heart attack or another stroke it won’t be service connected and my wife and kids are SOL. I have no idea where to start. How do I S.C this VA surgical debacle? It was 6 years ago. They were installing it due to an S.C issue. I have chronic pain upper and lower back. I’m pretty much a professional with ignoring the pain what I can’t control (high bp during episodes, monster headaches, risk of stroke) is what scares me. Any direction on what type of claims this would start as is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading

• By SKScott
      Hello!
      I filed for an increase, with a fully-developed claim, on an issue that I'm currently rated at service-connected 0%. I established my "Intent to File" on the 24th of September. The file was submitted/received on the 30th of December 2020 and moved to "Evidence gathering, review, and decision" on the 4th of January 2021. This morning (6th of January), a call came in and I was told that I would be scheduled for a C&P Exam. They needed to know if I was available due to Covid, to which I told them that I was. The woman informed me that within 2-3 weeks I would be notified of the date/time of my appointment.
      I thought I would be able to avoid a C&P Exam, because since October 2020, I've had 20+ VA appointments, 1 VA hospitalization, 1 VA MRI, 2 VA ultrasounds, 2 VA blood transfusions, and numerous VA blood draws, in regards to the issue that I'm asking an increase for. I'm even tentatively scheduled for surgery on the 26th of January (depending on how Covid issues play out here in California). I purposely waited, until I had gone through all those appointments/procedures/tests, so that I could include them in my fully-developed claim.
      I've had my fair share of C&P Exams, which have always been brief and perfunctory. I'm concerned about how much that exam will play into the rater's decision, when they already have a wealth of information from doctors/surgeons at the VA, all of which has been recently documented over the last 3 months. Has anyone experienced a situation similar to this? Did they end up changing their mind about making you submit to a C&P Exam? If not, did the C&P Exam weigh heavily on the type of decision the rater made?
      Thanks.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 41 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines