• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

100% P&T But Code Sheet (and VSO and VA phone rep) Indicated I have a Re Eval Scheduled

Question

I was awarded 100% PT for several issues about a year ago. My code sheet (from my FOIA request and confirmed verbally by my VSO, and then by a VA phone rep) indicates that everything rating is 'static' except for my back issue(40%) and radiculopothy for both legs (20% each). Those two items are listed with a re eval scheduled for about 8 mos from now. I am confused how I am P&T but still having to do a Re eval. To make things more confusing I am 100% static for mental health stuff. Even if the reduced my back I would still be 100% for MH stuff alone. 

Any thoughts?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

I was thinking the exact same thing! 

USAF K9 I would send an IRIS inquiry to the VA and ask for clarification in writing.

Veteran's confusion is VA's favorite weapon.   Have you been granted DEA Chapter 35 benefits for your kids and Champva for your spouse?  THESE are definite signs you ARE P and T.   VA makes

USAF K9 I would send an IRIS inquiry to the VA and ask for clarification in writing.

• Like 1

Veteran's confusion is VA's favorite weapon.  

Have you been granted DEA Chapter 35 benefits for your kids and Champva for your spouse?  THESE are definite signs you ARE P and T.  

VA makes their decisions confusing.  

Does your "letters" in VA's ebenefits allow you to print a letter that says you are permanent and Total?  

Would "eliminating" your back issues, and your radiculopothy ratings change anything?  As an example, if you are PTSD 100 percent and back issues 40 percent and 20 percent for radiculopthy, then those ratings are unlikely to matter.  

My advice is to focus on "what is important".  As far as DIC goes, you are highly unlikely to die from back issues or radiculopathy.  

If your back or radiculopathy have not improved since your c and p exam which was used to rate you, then dont worry about it.  VA calls stuff like that "harmless error".  For example, VA may misspell a word on your decision.  It does not change the outcome.  

"IF" this conflict (P and T) vs (exams scheduled), makes a difference, then you can take some actions.  But, if not, well, sleep well tonite.  

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Would "eliminating" your back issues, and your radiculopothy ratings change anything?  As an example, if you are PTSD 100 percent and back issues 40 percent and 20 percent for radiculopthy, then those ratings are unlikely to matter.  

I was thinking the exact same thing! 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, GBArmy said:

I appreciate it.  I did not know I could do that.  I will wait until I get a little closer to the appointment and do that.  I noticed that the re-eval was scheduled back before I was awarded P&T.  So part of me is holding out hope that the re-eval notice is just still lingering in the system, and that a human being will see it closer to the exam and just squash it.  I know, probably unlikely.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By lawbro
      Hey all. Hoping you guys can help me out with what to expect.
      In 2010 while I was active duty I went to medical over what I thought was a potential hernia. They did an ultrasound and felt around but told me they didn't see anything and that if it continued to hurt come back. I got my honorable in January of 2011.
      A couple months ago, the pain occasionally still persisted so I filed a claim for a hernia/groin condition and they scheduled me within a few weeks. I just went to my appointment and the Dr. asked me if I had the hernia taken care of yet. I told him that I was never diagnosed with a hernia which is why I also choose "groin condition" on the drop down menu. He help up a paper from my file and said that back in 2010 I was diagnosed with a inguinal hernia and that It says that I never made an appointment to meet with a surgeon. I told him that wasn't the way that I remember the scenario going, I believe I was told they found nothing and to come back if it still consisted or got worse. So we spoke for a few moments and he said that he's going to put that it is service connected, as I WAS diagnosed while I was still active duty. He also said since it's considered elective surgery if I wanted to have it taken care of I would need to talk to my private doctor.
      Has anybody had any experience in how this would be rated? He told me that it is service connected but he wasn't sure how the rating would go.
      I'm currently at 30% disability. I also recently received my C-file so I put it in my computer and found the page the doctor referenced and yes, it does say that I was diagnosed back in 2010. 

• By USMC_VET
      Yesterday was a great day. I have been working on these claims for awhile and this last year i really decided to do it right and spend the money and time necessary to win that last few claims i had been denied over the years.
      I was checking my status on va.gov and ebenefits and noticed while va.gov showed it as "gathering evidence" still ebenefits under pending disabilities when you click "check pending claim" it had been listed as "preparation for decision".  As a sidenote i realized that ebenefits had alot more steps in it (gathering -> prep for decision-> pending decision approval -> preparation for notification) while va.gov only goes form gathering to prep for decision, so ebenefits can help show in more detail where the claim is at. Anyways.  i checked yesterday and it had moved back to gathering of evidence and i was bummed.  This claim was started July 2019 and i had finally gotten my in person C&P's 2 weeks ago.  
      I decided to check the Letter section of ebenefits, as in the past that has been sometimes updated faster than everything else and low and behold it showed i had won so i checked "disabilities" again and it repopulated.
      PTSD - I won my increase to 70% after multiple denials.  since 2016 (wasnt continuously pursued since then unfortunately) i had made multiple attempts and after 2 denials in 2017, 2019 i decided to get a IMO again (which i first used in 2015 to fight a reduction).  My C&P's were done by both VA & QTC in those past denials and after getting my Cfile i saw that the examiner didnt note down or check boxes on ALOT of the things i had talked to them about. for example i get panic attacks everday and take medication, they check the "less than once per week" box??? Anyways after TWO VES C&P's this year my IMO won out and i finally won this claim.
      Shin splints - They kept me at 0% but im not going to appeal it now
      Back - after multiple ER visits and therapy and increases in med doses they finally agreed that it was slightly worse 😞 than the original 10% they gave me in 2011 and upped it to only 20%, but ill take it
      I also had a IBS, GERD & Hemorrhoid claim that was deferred, im guessing until they can do more tests.
      After this I am now 100% schedular, but they also gave me P&T! which was great!  

I was impatient about waiting for the letter which was only sent on the 16th so i called the 1800 # and the VA person told me they couldnt send me a digital copy until its past 10 days but he could look at the letter and confirm questions i had and was able to confirm the % & P&T, which was cool.
    • By Recondo@53
      Hi, another one for you here. Denial of entitlement to an evaluation in excess of 0 percent for migraine headaches, Jan 2020. Reason for denial by De Novo review as follows: "We have reviewed the evidence and found it does not support you experience prostrating attacks that would warrant an evaluation in excess of 0 percent. While your testimony is credible, the probative evidence does not show your reported symptoms cause extreme exhaustion, powerlessness, debilitation or incapacitation with substantial inability to engage in ordinary activities, or result in substantial work impairment."
      With that, I submitted new material evidence Nov 2020 by rehabilitation hospital M.D. who reported I have 5-7 headaches a week that require me to lay down for over an hour and take medication. He also noted aura and vertigo and my headaches where hard to control. In my supplemental statement of case, I requested them to review my ER visit for Migraine and the following day I presented as a walk in to Primary Care because it came back. I also noted in the original C&P exam in which the examiner stated they were not prostrating, but he also mentioned that I have weekly headaches where I have to lie on the ground for an hour or two affecting my work. All notes, ER visit 2016, C&P exam dated 2018 and new material evidence dated 2019 provides consistent periods of prostrating events and asked them to review as such. I also provided evidenced-based clinical literature showing productivity and impairment, and financial impact due to migraine but also requested VA to consider whether the migraines where at least capable of producing severe economic inadaptability and not just actually produces as the court has held they need to assess both. 
      With that, just as of today, I get a call from LHI stating they need to schedule me a C&P exam for headaches. However, the last exam was just done 2018. Why would they do this and what is my course of action? Thank you taking the time to help!
    • By Recondo@53
      Hi, I am currently on appeal for increase rating in excess of 50% PTSD (rated as Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder) and the case was remanded by BVA back to the RO. The initial PTSD C&P was done in 2014. The original rating was not rated as PTSD, but Specified Trauma and Stressor Related Disorder. A new exam was requested and completed October of 2020 and I was awarded 100% PTSD. I contested the rating as VA denied a rating of excess of 50% prior to September 2020. The RO stated the following, "The evidence does not support a change in the prior decision. Therefore, entitlement to an evaluation in excess of 50 percent prior to September 2020 for post-traumatic stress disorder (previously rated as specified trauma and stressor related disorder) is denied. The rating decision noted that the examiner diagnosed me with PTSD and it was a correction to my prior examination. Here is where it gets odd. After I got the denial of excess of 50%, I started scrolling through my C-File. Well, I noticed on the initial C&P for claimed PTSD, the C&P examiner missed 2 criterion for  DSM-V. My understanding is that I am entitled to a complete exam and the medical opinion is based on the C&P, which if was incomplete that would warrant an incomplete medical opinion. Since the appeal up to date, my historical evidence and symptomology and social and occupational impairment has aligned to 70-100%. It is clear as day in my C-file. The mistakes on the exam were missed by VSO, attorney and BVA.
      My question is what is my best course of action for this? Thank you kindly!
    • By gabwp
      Hello all,
      I had my C&P virtually yesterday for my new claim of PTSD.  I was just wondering what the average turn around is these days?  Last year, I had a decision on increasing my ratings in four days.  I'm sure it will not be that fast, but when should I go into and obsessively start hitting refresh? 
      Thanks in advance,
      Dawn
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
      • 12 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines