VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wasn't honest

Rate this question

Shadowpr

Question

So after 5 years of appeals, I was finally sc for depression. I was rated at 30%. My issue is that I wasn't honest with the doctors or evaluator about suicidal thoughts. 

It was stupid, but I just don't trust them enough to have told them. I just found out though that having the thoughts would qualify for 70%. 

I looked through my mental health notes and saw at least one time the doctor did mention that I had them. 

My question is, should I appeal the decision again and start being honest or just start being honest and file for an increase in a few months? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, AllTheWay said:

Some very good advice have been giving. The advice that were given about Dr. Trippi, I would think twice about that. While I was in Michigan, I had a very close co-worker that used Dr. Trippi in 2017. Dr. Trippi did write up a good report but the VA do not like to use outside sources for mental claim so therefor, my co-worker was denied. Yes the co-worker appealed it and as of today, still waiting for a hearing.

You are correct in terms of MH initial claims. My understanding, from the last info i had, was the VA does NOT accept DBQ's or any of that for initial claims and you must be Dx'd by a VA psychiatrist as having X or Y issue.  

I dont know the specifics of your co-workers case, but I have used her a couple of times now.

1) I had an issue at a C&p where i wanted to get out of there and just said everything was fine, after i got out i sent a letter stating why i said what i said and what was actually going on with me, etc.  They still proposed a reduction and Dr. trippis eval stoppped that

2) i used her recently for both a increase claim and to support my claim that my PTSD aggravates my OSA.  With her eval plus Dr. Anaise I was able to get my OSA claim granted, my increase is still in being decided at the moment.

24 minutes ago, USMC_VET said:

You are correct in terms of MH initial claims. My understanding, from the last info i had, was the VA does NOT accept DBQ's or any of that for initial claims and you must be Dx'd by a VA psychiatrist as having X or Y issue.  

I dont know the specifics of your co-workers case, but I have used her a couple of times now.

1) I had an issue at a C&p where i wanted to get out of there and just said everything was fine, after i got out i sent a letter stating why i said what i said and what was actually going on with me, etc.  They still proposed a reduction and Dr. trippis eval stoppped that

2) i used her recently for both a increase claim and to support my claim that my PTSD aggravates my OSA.  With her eval plus Dr. Anaise I was able to get my OSA claim granted, my increase is still in being decided at the moment.

I do agree with you USMC Vet. And you were already Dx'd by a VA psychiatrist as to having x or y conditions. Thats the way to do it.

I was pretty much in the same situation. I was Dx'd by the VAMC in 2012 for PTSD combat related at 50%. I had filed for an increase in 2018. I guess I was lucky. I did not use Dr. Trippi. I just went with for what I know. As the years had progressed from 2012, seems as to my PTSD was getting worse so I had made quite a few appoints and had gotten treatment from the VA. In 2018 when I had filed for an increase, the C&P exam was conducted by LHI. I did bring documents as to my treatments and medications. I guess that I answered all questions correctly and provided proof. I had went from a 50 to a 70 and did not have to hire Dr. Trippi and I have saved that 500 dollars.

I guess what I am trying to say, if vets want to keep their current rating or get an increase, vets must continue treatment. Be honest in treatment, if its not helping, tell the Dr.

If you do not seek treatment, then later on down the road and ask for an increase, the vet may keep the current rating and or possibly get reduced, being that the vet isn't showing continuity of treatment and the VA will assume that the Vet is getting better. Just my opinion.

PTSD is a very serious illness. First of all, SEEK TREATMENT.

I had known a young soldier which PTSD had taken his life. This young soldier had a wife and 3 kids. This young soldier had worn his pride on his sleeve, not being honest and seeking treatment, therefor was only thinking about himself instead of his family so he had taken his own life. The wife couldn't get VA compensation being that the veteran had taken his own life.

Get treatment first, worry about compensation later.

Just now, AllTheWay said:

I do agree with you USMC Vet. And you were already Dx'd by a VA psychiatrist as to having x or y conditions. Thats the way to do it.

I was pretty much in the same situation. I was Dx'd by the VAMC in 2012 for PTSD combat related at 50%. I had filed for an increase in 2018. I guess I was lucky. I did not use Dr. Trippi. I just went with for what I know. As the years had progressed from 2012, seems as to my PTSD was getting worse so I had made quite a few appoints and had gotten treatment from the VA. In 2018 when I had filed for an increase, the C&P exam was conducted by LHI. I did bring documents as to my treatments and medications. I guess that I answered all questions correctly and provided proof. I had went from a 50 to a 70 and did not have to hire Dr. Trippi and I have saved that 500 dollars.

I guess what I am trying to say, if vets want to keep their current rating or get an increase, vets must continue treatment. Be honest in treatment, if its not helping, tell the Dr.

If you do not seek treatment, then later on down the road and ask for an increase, the vet may keep the current rating and or possibly get reduced, being that the vet isn't showing continuity of treatment and the VA will assume that the Vet is getting better. Just my opinion.

Roger, I agree that you shouldnt need an IMO.  Ive just done a couple attempts at increase and I want to give the examiners the benefit of the doubt, but 6 months after the denials and i read my C-file i notice theres quite of bit of things i talked about, relayed to them that wasnt accurately noted in the DBQ.  for instance i have very bad panic attacks, its been documented in my VA health record for nearly 10 years and i take medication for it daily with increasing doses.  I told the examiner that and they put down "panic attacks less than 1 per week" that along with about 6 other things I specifically was asked and answered and the boxes werent checked off in their criterion.  I want to believe its just them not taking good enough notes, but ive found in my own subjective experience that since i can afford currently to spend on a IMO its been the difference between being denied in the past and having won at a later appeal/supplemental claim in the future.

I do agree about treatment, i go back and forth, i have counseling for awhile then i stop for awhile.  Vets need to not base this decision on how they think they feel but ahve friends/family know they need to be honest with you and when they start noticing things are not looking good with you that they can tell you that.  

Personally i think that medications are over prescribed but many vets do truly need it.  I think that any of you reading this that struggles should start by going to counseling, stop drinking and taking drugs and exercise every day if possible on top of proper nutrition. It doesnt need to be $500 a month supplements, just eat clean, take Vit D, magnesium (especially in men) and a multivitamin.  I know stopping drinking/drugs is no simple task, i struggle with it myself but its amazing how much easier maintaining your mental health becomes when you exercise and eat right. Its not a cure, but its like taking off weight on a hike, makes the trip that much easier.

35 minutes ago, USMC_VET said:

Roger, I agree that you shouldnt need an IMO.  Ive just done a couple attempts at increase and I want to give the examiners the benefit of the doubt, but 6 months after the denials and i read my C-file i notice theres quite of bit of things i talked about, relayed to them that wasnt accurately noted in the DBQ.  for instance i have very bad panic attacks, its been documented in my VA health record for nearly 10 years and i take medication for it daily with increasing doses.  I told the examiner that and they put down "panic attacks less than 1 per week" that along with about 6 other things I specifically was asked and answered and the boxes werent checked off in their criterion.  I want to believe its just them not taking good enough notes, but ive found in my own subjective experience that since i can afford currently to spend on a IMO its been the difference between being denied in the past and having won at a later appeal/supplemental claim in the future.

I do agree about treatment, i go back and forth, i have counseling for awhile then i stop for awhile.  Vets need to not base this decision on how they think they feel but ahve friends/family know they need to be honest with you and when they start noticing things are not looking good with you that they can tell you that.  

Personally i think that medications are over prescribed but many vets do truly need it.  I think that any of you reading this that struggles should start by going to counseling, stop drinking and taking drugs and exercise every day if possible on top of proper nutrition. It doesnt need to be $500 a month supplements, just eat clean, take Vit D, magnesium (especially in men) and a multivitamin.  I know stopping drinking/drugs is no simple task, i struggle with it myself but its amazing how much easier maintaining your mental health becomes when you exercise and eat right. Its not a cure, but its like taking off weight on a hike, makes the trip that much easier.

I hear you my brother and you should not have to through this. I hope that you have appealed it. Also it might be helping to read and study the rating criteria for MH/PTSD to see what warrants 30/50/70. Ensure that the examiner ask questions pertaining to the rating criteria. 

Just now, AllTheWay said:

I hear you my brother and you should not have to through this. I hope that you have appealed it. Also it might be helping to read and study the rating criteria for MH/PTSD to see what warrants 30/50/70. Ensure that the examiner ask questions pertaining to the rating criteria. 

that reduction 5 years ago was eye opening to me and lead me to HADIT which i learned a full education on what does and doesnt make a good claim.  I know what to look out for etc. in the past the exams for my increases i knew what they should be asking and i came out with a positiive attitude as i knew my 50% rating was severely underrated for years but after looking at the exam notes after the fact i realized that even though we talked about a bunch of things that were going on with me barely half was checked off or mentioned.  Which is why i went the IMO route this time.