VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Revision TKR

Rate this question

Combat eng

Question

What is the VA process as far as pay for revision surgery. After surgery two years ago I was rated at 100% for a year. I'm having problems with my TKR and the Dr may have to revisit. If he has to replace some of all of the knee do you receive 100% temp again?z

Edited by Combat eng
Clarification

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Not sure as to how you are asking this question but sounds to me that you had a second surgery for the same issue. The VA awarded you 100% for 1 year. That year is up. I do not think that the VA pays for revision. Thats why you were awarded 100% temp. You can start complaining about the scars and other things.

Revision does mean the same surgery performed again. There have been some unsuccessful total prosthetics made by two to three manufacturers causing for Americans to have to have the prosthetic's removed which is not the fault of the patient. The veteran should be able to request for the VA to pay him or her the 100% again because the regulation does not state that if the surgery is not successful then the veteran should suffer the consequences. I would fight as far or high as the VA or court allows for 100%.  

Are you asking if the VA will pay for your actual revision surgery of if you can claim temporary 100% for the revision surgery? The answer would be yes to both.  

The VA sent me to a private surgeon for a surgery which the VA paid for. I ended up needing a revision because the first surgery wasn't successful and the VA paid the same private surgeon for the revision.  

I would have to agree with GBArmy. If there is a revision, Yes it should be paid by the VA. But keep in mind that the 100% is temporary meaning that after that one year is up, you will go back to your original rating. Why leave yourself in that position. Look at your secondary's. As GB stated, it can lead to new issues. Not only just physical issues, mental as well. Maybe you had to take medication for pain. What are the side effects from the medication. I know with all of the medications I take had created other medical conditions which caused me deppression because I cannot do anything that I am used to doing because of my service connected disabilities. My personal opinion, if I was in this predicament as to where a revision is necessary, I would maybe start a new claim before surgery, Just my opinion. Others please feel free to chime in. Trust me, I don't have thin skin.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not 100% sure either but after the recovery period is done, 1 year, the VA will rate on any residuals as AllTheWay says. So yes, scars, pain,flexon, extension, etc. would be in the picture. It seems that if another complete replacement surgery is necessary, it would be a re-do on 100% comp again. Just makes sense. But if it isn't a total/complete TKR, probably just the residuals would be considered. Importantly, the veteran should be aware of new secondary problems showing up because of the new knee, such as how it may affect other parts of the body. Same and/or opposite side knee, ankle/foot, hip, back, etc. Your gate is changed and it definitely can lead to new issues.