VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

thoughs

Rate this question

Dude74

Question

I had a C&P with LHI on 19 Oct. I asked my VSO what the status is, does it look good. The VSO said she would send me the C&P results and i could maybe make a determination. The VSO said the claim would be settled in 4 weeks in December. Sound like she didn't want to give me bad news. What do you think?

Unfortunately, the VA thinks "no one can diagnose PTSD" but VA docs.  Altho this is pure hogwash and may eventually be overturned by the courts, for now, yes you need a VA doc diagnosis of PTSD.  You may already have that!  Check your records.  Its unlikely, but possible, a c and p examiner "diagnoses" your condition.  C and p examiners dont generally treat or diagnose.  They are supposed to review your records and see if you already have a diagnosis.  I think its more complicated than a doc looking at you and say, "Yep, you have PTSD".  To get PTSD diagnosed, by VA, you need a "confirmed stressor" from service.  Example:  Your buddy was shot.  A bomb blew up near you.  You were raped.,,,etc.etc.etc.  Its generally a "traumatic event" that causes PTSD.  

IF you actually served "in combat", then VA often assumes a stressor.  Its enough just to sit in bed and worry you will be blown up, or shot, every night.  

Edited by broncovet

4 hours ago, broncovet said:

Unfortunately, the VA thinks "no one can diagnose PTSD" but VA docs.  Altho this is pure hogwash and may eventually be overturned by the courts, for now, yes you need a VA doc diagnosis of PTSD.  You may already have that!  Check your records.  Its unlikely, but possible, a c and p examiner "diagnoses" your condition.  C and p examiners dont generally treat or diagnose.  They are supposed to review your records and see if you already have a diagnosis.  I think its more complicated than a doc looking at you and say, "Yep, you have PTSD".  To get PTSD diagnosed, by VA, you need a "confirmed stressor" from service.  Example:  Your buddy was shot.  A bomb blew up near you.  You were raped.,,,etc.etc.etc.  Its generally a "traumatic event" that causes PTSD.  

IF you actually served "in combat", then VA often assumes a stressor.  Its enough just to sit in bed and worry you will be blown up, or shot, every night.  

I don't mean to hijack this but my question fits the question.  Broncovet:  If the VA only accepts VA docs on PTSD, is it safe to think that a BVA judge will look favorably on an appeal if VA docs not only say PTSD but also write a letter stating this, provides a nexus statement and state "more likely than not SC"?  

Thank you for your response.  

• Lead Moderator
1 hour ago, spirit_grt said:

I don't mean to hijack this but my question fits the question.  Broncovet:  If the VA only accepts VA docs on PTSD, is it safe to think that a BVA judge will look favorably on an appeal if VA docs not only say PTSD but also write a letter stating this, provides a nexus statement and state "more likely than not SC"?  

Thank you for your response.  

Depending on they review this information, then it is likely it would be.  Like with mine we had to go to the CAVC to get them to rate it properly.  

The other issue you have for SC is it must be a MH doctor saying you have PTSD and thus if your primary doctors say this then that is great, but will not SC you for PTSD.

33 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Depending on they review this information, then it is likely it would be.  Like with mine we had to go to the CAVC to get them to rate it properly.  

The other issue you have for SC is it must be a MH doctor saying you have PTSD and thus if your primary doctors say this then that is great, but will not SC you for PTSD.

Thank you for responding.  Yes, it was my 2 MH docs who dx this in my file a few years ago along with MDD, GAD, etc.  And it was one of the MH docs who wrote the letter for me.   I got lucky he would write it but I think him being AF reserve with lots of PTSD experience treating it while active, many months of weekly and biweekly appointments, he felt it was right to write the letter-and he stated so in letter.  Now, if I can keep my patience intact...