VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU application mess

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

I received 70% SC decision after an appeal with IMO in Feb 2011, Portland Oregon. The case has not been reviewed since then. I passed the ten year mark in Feb 2021 making the SC determination permanent though the rating percentage could still be changed. Reason was aggravation of high functioning autism (there was psyche “counseling” and a potentially dangerous med prescribed on active duty on a remote desert air base when I was 18-19 yo). Was awarded SSD in July 2018 on first try with no appeal needed, reasons were high functioning autism (same as VA SC award reason) and “poor impulse control”, both conditions rated “Severe” by SS.

I filed an intent to file for TDIU in Feb 2019, then rolled it over to another intent to file in Feb 2020.

I contacted vet rep in October to file the TDIU. I asked him to mail me the docs for review to make sure they were accurate. Never arrived, I called and he said they were delivered by trackable mail on Nov 3, they weren’t (should have asked for the tracking number, I believe there isn’t one). I called the county vet rep supervisor. They reviewed the case and found that I had applied for TDIU after the 70% award which I did not remember doing and that I withdrew that request in July 2011. (I worked for the next six years averaging $60,000/year, high year was $107,000, have not worked for four years). That makes my current claim request an “appeal” even though no VA determination was made because I withdrew the TDIU request at that time, according to the supervisor. That means the intent to file in Feb. is not the date for an award increase therefore wiping out 9 months possible back pay. Supervisor instructed my rep to get on phone with me and I got him to email me the filing documents. I then saw that VA wants a list of all jobs applied for or training received since the date claimed as onset of 100% disability for TDIU. The date placed on the form was 5-1-2016, same as SS disability date. From May to Oct. 2020 I was in the VA voc rehab program where they were paying me to apply for 20 jobs a month, and I also took two VA-paid classes in 2017-2018 (easily discoverable since they were under VA auspices) . All of which would have to be included on the form since the TDIU date is listed being prior to the job apps and the training (or attachments of the scanned pages which I sent to voc rehab). Rep wanted me to send it through as is. Wording at bottom of form says I am certifying all to be true under penalty of prosecution for fraud to get government benefits. So I cannot agree to the application as is. This was the reason I wanted to check the docs to begin with, to make sure there were no such problems. Rep knew I was working with voc rehab though didn’t know the details. Part of the TDIU application is a letter from state voc rehab dated this year saying they have no more help available to offer (it was meaningless to begin with; at my last meeting with them the two employees couldn’t wait until I got out of earshot to start mocking me, I am sick of going anywhere or to anyone for help at this point).

I took my case to a psychiatrist retired from 20 years running the local VA regional office last year. After a $230 session (discounted non insurance price) he said he couldn’t make a determination on my chances of retaining the 70% rating (my concern on filing for TDIU) and wanted to charge me to review my hundreds of pages of docs for further analysis. Not going to do that. Point is, I have gotten all the help or advice possible. One useful comment was that it was “highly unusual” for my case to have gone unreviewed for 10 years. Likely indication my condition has been determined permanent and not likely to improve. He also said his office only did the comp exams, the ratings determinations were done elsewhere and were a mystery to him.

I believe waiting till past the 10 year point was the right decision for filing for TDIU for peace of mind purposes since I would at least retain the SC determination even if the rating is still vulnerable. My concern is the risk of a rating reduction.

Questions:

- Can we just list the date of TDIU as the current date, which will then be after the job applications and training, therefore no need to list them? Is there any benefit / requirement to listing TDIU date as same as SS disability date? Don’t know why vet rep did that. If this has to be an appeal with no back pay, there is no benefit to listing anything other than current date that I can see. Goes without saying I do not trust the vet rep at this point. (Only other option would be DAV, they will not let me past the receptionist unless I agree to change power of attorney and start over, not going to do that either.)

- do the job applications and training work for or against me for TDIU? That is, does looking for work show you are still trying to work and not “retired” or does it show you think you can work therefore should not get TDIU? I will be 65 in December, I was told by a different county rep that that age point helps in getting TDIU. Is the vet’s mind set a factor? At some point it seems to me it doesn’t matter, if you can’t work because you can’t find work or whether you have trouble functioning on jobs, whether you “think” you can work or not it would add up to the same thing.

- is the view that my current application would have to be an appeal accurate due to the prior TDIU application withdraw?

- vet rep asked if I had lost any time on job due to disability.  Answer no.  Is this a major factor? 

Thanks for any help. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of us veterans that get the TDIU have had some tough times because of our S.C. Disabilities  and can no longer find employment or do the job they were trained to do  and  this makes it rough on the veteran  he may lose his family  or his home  and is literally turn out in the street and become a homeless man/homeless Veteran..this is why they created the Extra Scheduler for veterans that their disability don't meet the 100%  but due to their .S.C. Disabilities  can't find any type of employment.

I know of some hadit members that were homeless and lost the shirt of their back including me  also broncovet lost all he had at one time including his home.

• HadIt.com Elder

Still crazy that it was easier to get extra-schedular TDIU with a 40% combined rating from the Director, Compensation Services than through the regular rating process with a presumptive 70% for extra-schedular TDIU Decision.

Also Remanded in my BVA Decision was an extra-schedular rating of more than 10% tinnitus because of the equipment operation employment denied because of tinnitus.  In today's world that is a lot of jobs.  Not much is done by hand anymore unless you are a nerd behind a desk.  Hard to even do hand construction work because of the beep signals on hand tools.