VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Completeness/Accuracy

Rate this question

Foxhound6

Question

Just a quick question...I just received my C-File via CD. Upon skimming thru it (I will do so a third time to be sure), I did not see any of the "Statements in Support of Claim" documents I have submitted. However, a recent denial showed them as items used as evidence by the VA. Is it likely that my C-File sent to me just did not get those specific documents added to my CD? I would like to think it was just missed on my CD as it has been shown on evidence list of denial. Just wondering. Thanks

6 answers to this question

This is not unusual.  I have gotten 3 seperate copies of my Cfile, plus at least 2 additional copies on DVD (called the RBA, record before agency).  With each, over a period of 14 years, I noticed they are not the same, and evidence was missing in "each" new RBA, that was present in the old one.  

I think I have been "on electronic records" for about 2 to 3 years or so.  Before that it was all paper, and many, many pages.  For example, VARO decisions "disappear"..why?  How can the VARO lose its own decisions?  I have many RO decisions "missing" in my RBA.  Ditto for BVA decisions, and, even worse I got a CAVC remand, with instructions, that never made its way to my file, and that was about 5 years ago.  

When I hired Chris Attig, he sent me a "new" RBA and asked me to go over it and compare it to my old cfile copies.  There is a period, where he can "protest" the RBA, if its missing documents.  Altho I noticed missing documents, my attorney decided that the missing documents were not relevant, so we dropped it.  

Fox,

The first time I requested my c-file, I, after about 6 months, received about an inch and a half stack of paper.  I proceeded to look through it and found that it repeats itself about four times with some bits added here and there.  So, I got 4 copies of some things, and 1 of others, and mostly random order, but definitely old to new order.  Basically, a file where they just add new stuff to the front, etc.

A couple of years ago, I requested my c-file again and within 2 months received a CD rom.  I was exactly the same stuff in the same order with new (recent) stuff added up front.  Again, no order.  

So, you got to dig for what you want.  A Ctrl-F, for find, will work for somethings, but not handwritten searches.

"only way to know is to look at your file on the E-side"

What the heck is the "E-side"?  I can assume you mean evidence, but there are no sides, or order to my c-file.  

Just for fun, I am going to go look for my "Statements in Support of Claim" in my c-file.  I will let you know if I don't have them in there, but pretty sure they are there.  Can't remember.

Getting old,

Hamslice

Once you get a copy of your CD C-file, you can download Adobe Acrobat Reader and click on search and you can type in certain words like (Statement), (Support) or any other words that you may want to find.  So far as I know that the search may not find handwritten words, but you can still search for the words of the form.