VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Worth filing a claim

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Evening everyone.  I'd like to get an opinion from some of you.  Without going into detail I've been seeing a VA mental health physician over the past few months about an issue I have that causes depression for me.  Today I dropped on him an issue of a coworker while on AD that committed suicide in the building we worked in one day.  I explained to him all my thought's on it and how it's affected me over the years.  This happened in 1998 so obviously I've kept it all to myself for a very long time.  I had a close friend of mine commit suicide about three years ago that I think kidna compounded my thoughts on this event from 1998.  Without giving deep details on this do you think I have a reason to pursue a VA claim for an event that happened to me in 1998 while in AD?  I'm sure this sounds ridiculous but as I told the Doctor it's been in and on my mind since the day it happened but I kept it to myself to continue "the mission" as required.  I have not been prescribed any medications for my depression (I'm hesitant to come out and ask) and to date it's been labeled as "moderate", but it does impact me often.

Than you.

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ranmic Are you scheduled for another session with that doctor soon? I think I would gos few sessions and see how that progresses and see what the professional thinks as it relates to symptoms and possible an increase in ratings.  Many symptoms for depression are also found in other MH disabilities like PTSD. He may diagnose an additional issue.  But if you feel that your symptoms are worse, go ahead and file is the advise most would suggest I would imagine.

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit , you will find some of the greatest people here on  earth that are well versed in VA ENGLISH AND MATH &the CFR's that are great helping veterans win their claim/claims

I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR CLOSE FRIEND

What GB Army mention above is great advice.

Just my opinion here and I could be totally wrong

you first need 3 elements & they are 

1. Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

2. In Service Event or Aggravation.

3. Nexus, or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”

OK, you can file a claim on this for PTSD  or Severe  Depression  with unspecified anxiety  depending on your symptoms as to what they rate you for  PTSD it is rated from 0% to 100%  Again depending on how bad your symptoms they  (VA) say they are.  < the physiatrist and LCSW work together on this  and differentiate  your symptoms and what the C&P Examiner puts in the little boxes after your C&P Evaluation?   and depending on your medical records  because they will comb through them with a fine tooth comb  and find out your stressors  or if you show them the evidence  from when you wer ein the military of what happen back in 1998?  but even then they most likely won't go back to 1998   they may say it happen in 1998  but if you never filed a claim for it   then  the claim will start when you send it to them and the day they (VA) Receives  it .

Ratings for the PTSD  = 0% 10%30%50% 70% 100%

YOU CAN TRY TO GET THEM TO GO BACK TO 1998  BUT I DOUBT  VERY SERIOUS  THAT THEY WILL.

BUT IF YOU DID  FILE A CLAIM FOR MH (MENTAL HEALTH) BACK THEN 1998  ?  YES FIGHT THEM ON IT.

BUT IF YOU DIDN'T  FILE A CLAIM ON IT BACK THEN  , THEY WILL USE THE PRESENT DAY DATE OF THE CLAIM  YOU FILED...OR IF YOU FILED TODAY 11/16.2020 AND THEY RECEIVED IT THE NEXT DAY (11/17/ 2020)  THEN YOUR CLAIM   START  DATE WILL BE 11 /17/20   THE CLAIM WILL START THE EFFECTIVE DATE THE DATE THEY  (VA) RECEIVED THE CLAIM.

You need to read your medical notes and find out what these  VA Dr and therapist  L.C.S.W. is saying about your MH Problem? Also  you need a diagnosis for PTSD to come from the VA  if you have that? MDD (Major Depression Disorder)          YOU CAN HAVE A PRIVATE DIAGNOSIS FOR THAT.

&   YOU CAN CHECK THESE MEDICAL NOTES  via 

''MyhealtheVet.''  using the blue button feature   (be sure to give it time to load)

Edited by Buck52