HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021 ×

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

107%
    $1,608.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

HadIt.com Anniversary 24 years on Jan 20, 2021

Invalid DTA error in HLR ?

Question

A higher-level review of your claim was conducted on ..., the issue of degenerative disc disease, lumbar spine (claimed as back), was returned for a duty to assist error. The decision review officer (DRO), returned your claim for the additional medical examination and opinion to answer the question of wither [whether?] the Veteran's claimed condition which existed prior to service was aggravated beyond its natural progression by the claimed condition ...

Problem is that the Veteran's claimed condition is "Service connection for degenerative disc disease, lumbar spine (claimed as back) as secondary to the service-connected disability of left ankle osteoarthritis". Since it is based on a service-connected disability, it cannot have "existed prior to service".

Does this meet the criteria for a CUE?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

It is your call; most attorneys have a no pay unless you win clause, but you do not have to have an attorney at the BVA level. An attorney may win a remand a little faster, but you can submit your dis

On 11/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, kanewnut said:

You can have a condition that the military knows about and still lets you in. If service aggravates it you could get compensation. 

You had an exam  before entering service and one when leaving service. Does your exam before entering service show any conditions?  If it doesn't show a back condition before entering service you have something to argue with them about. 

There are no exams showing I had a back condition when I enter the Army and I did not have a back condition when I entered the Army. Nor did I have a back condition when I retired from the Army so did not have an exam showing a back condition when I retired. My back condition was diagnosed after I had been out of the Army for awhile.

2 hours ago, dwbell99 said:

There are no exams showing I had a back condition when I enter the Army and I did not have a back condition when I entered the Army. Nor did I have a back condition when I retired from the Army so did not have an exam showing a back condition when I retired. My back condition was diagnosed after I had been out of the Army for awhile.

Basically, the DRO/HLR was not paying attention and no one caught it. You are going to have to write a statement in support to explain that you were filing secondary to your service-connected condition and not direct, primary, nor aggravated by service. You may also have to file an appeal.

1 hour ago, pacmanx1 said:

Basically, the DRO/HLR was not paying attention and no one caught it. You are going to have to write a statement in support to explain that you were filing secondary to your service-connected condition and not direct, primary, nor aggravated by service. You may also have to file an appeal.

Looking to submit to VA Board Appeal just not sure if TVC (my VSO) who does not have an attorney available in Waco office or get an attorney that will charge me 20%. What are your thoughts? 

6 hours ago, dwbell99 said:

Looking to submit to VA Board Appeal just not sure if TVC (my VSO) who does not have an attorney available in Waco office or get an attorney that will charge me 20%. What are your thoughts? 

It is your call; most attorneys have a no pay unless you win clause, but you do not have to have an attorney at the BVA level. An attorney may win a remand a little faster, but you can submit your disagreement yourself or with your County Service Officer. Either way the BVA will either remand your claim or deny it and if they deny it then you will need an attorney to file with the CAVC.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By MidwestAbbott
      I have roughly one million questions but I'll try to keep it simple. This is the first time I am appealing a denied claim (though not my first denied claim - I currently have 50% combined). Almost exactly one year after my C&P exam I finally got a denial for both of my knees).  I did a HLR informal conference and now my va.gov status says "The VBA is correcting an error".  Here is the decision I received on Dec. 7th after the Higher Level Review (sorry I couldn't figure out how to add image) and below that are my questions.
      Decision:
      1. A duty to assist error has been identified during the Higher Level Review of left knee pain. 2. A duty to assist error has been identified during the Higher Level Review of right knee pain. Evidence: Timeline from intent to file on 10/2/19 to HLR informal conference on 12/2/20 Reasons for Decision: 1. Higher Level Review for left knee pain The issue of left knee pain was returned for correction of a duty to assist error in the prior decision. We failed to get other records. We will develop for lay statements and if warranted additional opinions. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304, 38 CFR 3.159, 38 CFR 3.2502, 38 CFR 3.2601) Favorable findings identified in the decision: You have been diagnosed with a disability. The VA exam dated 11/7/19 showed a diagnosis of patellofemoral pain syndrome. 2. Higher Level Review for right knee pain The issue of right knee pain was returned for correction of a duty to assist error in the prior decision. We failed to get other records. We will develop for lay statements and if warranted additional opinions. (38 CFR 3.303, 38 CFR 3.304, 38 CFR 3.159, 38 CFR 3.2502, 38 CFR 3.2601) Favorable findings identified in the decision: A nexus or link has been established between your claimed issue and an in-service event or injury. During VA exam dated 11/7/19 the VA examiner provided a positive medical opinion linking your right knee to service. You have been diagnosed with a disability. The VA exam dated 11/7/19 showed a diagnosis of right meniscal tear, right knee instability, and patellofemoral pain syndrome. MY QUESTIONS
      1. Am I just out of luck because I didn't seek treatment during Active Duty?
      2. Under "favorable findings" it states that "a nexus, or link, has been established between your claimed issue and an in-service event". Isn't that the literal definition of a service connected disability?!
      3. What is the error? What have you all seen as timelines and outcomes for this? 

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to respond and post. Reading these questions/answers over the last year has been both educational and comforting. 
    • By Vync
      In August 2020, I filed a HLR for heart attack and was just called by a DRO. The DRO indicated the decision was in error because it was based solely on the wrong condition (atrial fibrillation) and did not address the heart attack at all. They will go over everything, including the strong "more likely than not" IMO from my non-VA board certified doctor. They said they would try to grant based off of the evidence of record. Of course, if granted, I would get another heart C&P for rating purposed. Should know something within the next couple of weeks.
    • By Foxhound6
      I will upload this to the HLR timeline post I have but also wanted to get some input. Looks like my supplemental claim about the lack of secondary opinion helped get me new CP exam as this is what the error was in my claim, apparently. It seems like they may back date the EED also to my ETS, at least that's how it seems to read? Any input is appreciated.
      HLR Decision - Error Correction_Redacted.pdf
    • By BASD
      Hello all.  This is my first post on here.  Looking forward to learning as much as I can from all of you and sharing my experiences.
      I was recently awarded 100% disability with SMC-S.  I believe my lawyer wasn't satisfied with the outcome because the claim did not have any back pay.  Meaning there was no payment to them.  I understand that.  Everyone wants to get paid for their work.  It took 2 years of work and they received no payment.  They filed for a HLR to raise my PTSD rating from a previously denied decision almost 3 years ago.  I was rated 50% 3 years ago for PTSD and they're trying to argue that it should have been 70% so my rating would have been 100% overall.  I don't know if it's a good idea to push for more after getting the award I received.  I want to make sure they are not risking the benefits I've received by trying to get some type of payment.  I don't know if the HLR will cause them to look over all of my disabilities again.  I am happy with the decision and would like back pay but not at the risk of my status now.  I've asked them if it's a risk but not sure if I should believe it, because if I they don't push for this the time they spent on my claim would give them no money.  Thank you in advance for any advice all of you can give.
    • By flynsolo2
      Good Afternoon,

I know the time frame for a HLR is normally about 4 months (they state on their website 125 days), however, I am wondering if anyone has filed a HLR since they opened up the VA more in August? Just wondering if there is a huge backlog now. I have mine just sitting there since September, and no status change, even though I was thinking it would be until January, but, as most others have said, still checking often to see if there has been any updates!
      Thanks!!!
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 41 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines