VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Invalid DTA error in HLR ?

Rate this question

dwbell99

Question

A higher-level review of your claim was conducted on ..., the issue of degenerative disc disease, lumbar spine (claimed as back), was returned for a duty to assist error. The decision review officer (DRO), returned your claim for the additional medical examination and opinion to answer the question of wither [whether?] the Veteran's claimed condition which existed prior to service was aggravated beyond its natural progression by the claimed condition ...

Problem is that the Veteran's claimed condition is "Service connection for degenerative disc disease, lumbar spine (claimed as back) as secondary to the service-connected disability of left ankle osteoarthritis". Since it is based on a service-connected disability, it cannot have "existed prior to service".

Does this meet the criteria for a CUE?

1 hour ago, pacmanx1 said:

Basically, the DRO/HLR was not paying attention and no one caught it. You are going to have to write a statement in support to explain that you were filing secondary to your service-connected condition and not direct, primary, nor aggravated by service. You may also have to file an appeal.

Looking to submit to VA Board Appeal just not sure if TVC (my VSO) who does not have an attorney available in Waco office or get an attorney that will charge me 20%. What are your thoughts? 

6 hours ago, dwbell99 said:

Looking to submit to VA Board Appeal just not sure if TVC (my VSO) who does not have an attorney available in Waco office or get an attorney that will charge me 20%. What are your thoughts? 

It is your call; most attorneys have a no pay unless you win clause, but you do not have to have an attorney at the BVA level. An attorney may win a remand a little faster, but you can submit your disagreement yourself or with your County Service Officer. Either way the BVA will either remand your claim or deny it and if they deny it then you will need an attorney to file with the CAVC.

4 hours ago, pacmanx1 said:

It is your call; most attorneys have a no pay unless you win clause, but you do not have to have an attorney at the BVA level. An attorney may win a remand a little faster, but you can submit your disagreement yourself or with your County Service Officer. Either way the BVA will either remand your claim or deny it and if they deny it then you will need an attorney to file with the CAVC.

My claim goes back to Nov 2016 so it is worth hiring an attorney. I just getting frustrated that VA does not review and rate what I send them but rather goes off on a tangent. I found a lawyer the won a claim that is very similar to mine back in 2015 and thinking of hiring him.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:32 AM, dwbell99 said:

I just getting frustrated that VA does not review and rate what I send them but rather goes off on a tangent.

I wonder why they do that. I am in the same position. It certainly does get frustrating.