VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Criteria for SMC -S HOUSEBOUND?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Can anyone lead me to the SMC S HOUSEBOUND Criteria? NOT JUST THE SMC CRITERIA BUT THE HOUEBOUND CRITERIA.

I understand this SMC S H.B. NEEDS TO BE UNIFORMALLY SUITED TO THE DISABILITY UNDER CFR  3.350  (i)

What I mean about uniformly suited to the disability is like for PARALYZED VETERANS THEY ARE SUITED FOR HOUSEBOUND  ITS OBVIOUSLY HE CAN'T LEAVE HIS HOUSE ANY TIME HE FEELS LIKE  ON HIS OWN MAKING HIM HOUSBOUND.

Does a Veteran need to have his disability uniformly mention as a criteria? TO MEET THE HOUSEBOUND CRITERIA?

Meaning  the Veterans disability needs to be as he can't leave his house because of his S.C. Disabilities the disability needs to be chronic static and  of nature

example  veteran with severe hearing loss and is  S.C. For it at 80%  they award him TDIU BECAUSE HE CAN'T DO ANY TYPE WORK DUE TO THIS DISABILITY,

OK UNIFORMLLY  HE CAN WORK AND DO SOMETHING   HE ALSO CAN LEAVE HIS HOUSE IF HE DECIDES TO   SMC s house bound is define as a veteran with one rated disability 100% and another sc disability at 60%  this meets the SMC S CRITERIA ....>BUT EXACTELY IS IT HOUSEBOUND?

Can anyone tell me the criteria for housebound? AND NOT JUST THE CFR 38. 3.350. - (a) -(z)

• HadIt.com Elder

Now I have SMC S  BUT NOT SO SURE IT'S HOUSEBOUND?

I HAVE A SINGLE DISABILITY RATED AT 100% WITH TDIU P&T  AND ALSO i HAVE ANOTHER A SEPERATE SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILTY RATED AT 70%

THE RATER OR THE PERSON THAT FILLS OUT YOUR AWARD OF  ''What We Decided'' and gives an explanation as to how they come about to rate the SMC -S  GIVES  A REASON WHY.

ALSO IF VETERAN DON'T MEET THE ABOVE CRITERIA  IF HE HAS A Dr that stated he is housebound due to his service connected disabilities but rated under the 100%  and is infer the TDIU   THIS IS ALSO A REASON THEY GIVE THE VETERAN THE SMC S HOUSEBOUND.

BUT IF A DR DON'T SAY THE VETERAN IS ACTUALLY HOUSEBOUND THEN THEY WILL NOT GIVE HIM THE SMC S HOUSEBOUND.?  CORRECT? 

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck Yes, I believe that is correct. The doc has to specifically say you are "housebound." As to whether it is A&A or housebound for type os SMC (s), that should be called out on your dsability rating sheet. If you don't have one get a VSO to look in VBMS and get a copy of it for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck I think you will find the criteria for HB or A&A on the dbq the doc fills out. see form 21-2680 https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-2680-ARE.pdf

There are 2 ways to get to housbound.   You need a "single" 100 percent rating (Bradley Peake showed us that TDIU works also, at least after 2008) and one of the following:

1.  An additional 60 percent combined rating separate and distinct.  This is statuatory housebound.

OR

2.  A doctor or medical professional says you are "substantially confined" to your home due to SC conditons.  (Housebound in fact)

substantially
adverb

substantially adverb (LARGE)

C1
to a large degree:
The new rules will substantially change how we do things.
 More examples

Great Post, GB Army.   I went to a "housebound" c and p exam a few years ago, and form has almost identical questions asked.  

In the M21, the regulations state that "whenever a Veteran reaches a single 100 percent rating" to adjuticate housebound.  (But, it also says not to raise THAT issue just to deny, so go figure. )

Housebound and A and A are often given similar c and p exams.  

I was given an exam for both Housebound and A and A at the same time.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Question

ARE THEY (VA RATING REPS) WHEN THEY RATE CLAIMS ARE THEY SUPPOSE TO GIVE A VETERAN THAT AT THE TIME HE IS GRANTED THE IU?  THE SMC S Housebound   with just one  (single rating)) 100% OR THE IU...  but because they granted the IU then is this a statutory rating they infer the SMC S HOUSEBOUND?

WHAT AND WHO DETERMINES THE HOUSEBOUND? 

Some Veterans get it then and some don't  I wan to know why this is?