• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

130%
    $1,953.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Criteria for SMC -S HOUSEBOUND?

Question

Can anyone lead me to the SMC S HOUSEBOUND Criteria? NOT JUST THE SMC CRITERIA BUT THE HOUEBOUND CRITERIA.

I understand this SMC S H.B. NEEDS TO BE UNIFORMALLY SUITED TO THE DISABILITY UNDER CFR  3.350  (i)

What I mean about uniformly suited to the disability is like for PARALYZED VETERANS THEY ARE SUITED FOR HOUSEBOUND  ITS OBVIOUSLY HE CAN'T LEAVE HIS HOUSE ANY TIME HE FEELS LIKE  ON HIS OWN MAKING HIM HOUSBOUND.

Does a Veteran need to have his disability uniformly mention as a criteria? TO MEET THE HOUSEBOUND CRITERIA?

Meaning  the Veterans disability needs to be as he can't leave his house because of his S.C. Disabilities the disability needs to be chronic static and  of nature

example  veteran with severe hearing loss and is  S.C. For it at 80%  they award him TDIU BECAUSE HE CAN'T DO ANY TYPE WORK DUE TO THIS DISABILITY,

OK UNIFORMLLY  HE CAN WORK AND DO SOMETHING   HE ALSO CAN LEAVE HIS HOUSE IF HE DECIDES TO   SMC s house bound is define as a veteran with one rated disability 100% and another sc disability at 60%  this meets the SMC S CRITERIA ....>BUT EXACTELY IS IT HOUSEBOUND?

Can anyone tell me the criteria for housebound? AND NOT JUST THE CFR 38. 3.350. - (a) -(z)

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Buck I think you will find the criteria for HB or A&A on the dbq the doc fills out. see form 21-2680 https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-2680-ARE.pdf

Buck Just spitballing here. I wonder if it is a CUE if the VA  fail fails to apply smc's, based of course on your record? If it could be then I would just run it by CC&K or one of the big law firm

Buck posted: When you pre suppose "what your doctor will say/do", you are pretty much cutting your own throat.   You basically adversely pre decided your own claim.     Indeed, if you read

Now I have SMC S  BUT NOT SO SURE IT'S HOUSEBOUND?

I HAVE A SINGLE DISABILITY RATED AT 100% WITH TDIU P&T  AND ALSO i HAVE ANOTHER A SEPERATE SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILTY RATED AT 70%

THE RATER OR THE PERSON THAT FILLS OUT YOUR AWARD OF  ''What We Decided'' and gives an explanation as to how they come about to rate the SMC -S  GIVES  A REASON WHY.

ALSO IF VETERAN DON'T MEET THE ABOVE CRITERIA  IF HE HAS A Dr that stated he is housebound due to his service connected disabilities but rated under the 100%  and is infer the TDIU   THIS IS ALSO A REASON THEY GIVE THE VETERAN THE SMC S HOUSEBOUND.

BUT IF A DR DON'T SAY THE VETERAN IS ACTUALLY HOUSEBOUND THEN THEY WILL NOT GIVE HIM THE SMC S HOUSEBOUND.?  CORRECT? 

Buck Yes, I believe that is correct. The doc has to specifically say you are "housebound." As to whether it is A&A or housebound for type os SMC (s), that should be called out on your dsability rating sheet. If you don't have one get a VSO to look in VBMS and get a copy of it for you.

Buck I think you will find the criteria for HB or A&A on the dbq the doc fills out. see form 21-2680 https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-2680-ARE.pdf

• Like 1

There are 2 ways to get to housbound.   You need a "single" 100 percent rating (Bradley Peake showed us that TDIU works also, at least after 2008) and one of the following:

1.  An additional 60 percent combined rating separate and distinct.  This is statuatory housebound.

OR

2.  A doctor or medical professional says you are "substantially confined" to your home due to SC conditons.  (Housebound in fact)

substantially
adverb

substantially adverb (LARGE)

C1
to a large degree:
The new rules will substantially change how we do things.
 More examples

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By chomperjones
      hello, 
      i was told to look into something called smc l. i dont know if i qualify or not.
      i was given a 100% permanent and total rating in 2015. here are my ailments. 
      biploar disorder 70%
      Asthma due to jet fuel exposure 60%
      cystic acne due to jet fuel exposure 30%
      carpal, allergies, tinnitus each at 10%
      i also get ssdi 100% and they require me to use my sister to manage my finances.
      my sister also basically serves as my caregiver. without her i dont believe i can function. she does everything for me from finances, to taking me to appts, to reminding me and sometimes helping me clean. and more. 
      would i be able to apply for smc-l and if so how would i go about doing it. i overheard a family member discussing it with my sister and mom the other day. and it sounds very helpful. 
      thank you
    • By ArmChairRanger
      My current VA rating for veteran w/spouse is being paid SMC L1 since 2018.
      Last month I won my BVA appeal for CRPS both upper extremities but my rating did not change.
      The board granted the appeal but sent it back to the Houston RO to rate.
      Should I be rated "R" for having two separate L1 ratings or do you think I should be rated higher (at least O)?
      Can you become an HadIt patron with a 1 time donation? Be happy too.
      Current rated disabilities:
      L1 - Loss of use both feet rated on 8/24/2020 effective date 1/26/2018 (7-foot surgeries resulting in permanent use of mobility devices)
      L1 - (A&A) permanent need for Aid and Attendance rated on 8/24/2020 effective date 8/21/2019 (on account of being so helpless due to complex regional pain syndrome & lumbar degenerative arthritis with intervertebral disc syndrome) 100% - 8/24/2020 effective date 1/26/2018 loss of use of both feet
      30% - 4/10/2014 lumbar degenerative arthritis with intervertebral disc syndrome

(CRPS in all four extremities)
      20% -   06/05/2015 complex regional pain syndrome left upper extremity
      30% -   02/05/2020 complex regional pain syndrome right upper extremity
      20% -   04/10/2014 left lower extremity complex regional pain syndrome with tibial nerve impairment
      20% -   04/10/2014 right lower extremity posterior complex regional pain syndrome with tibial nerve impairment

10% - 10/09/2014 tinnitus
      00% - 10/09/2014 bilateral hearing loss
      20% - 05/25/2016 left ankle tendonitis and chronic regional pain syndrome
      20% - 05/25/2016 right ankle tendonitis
      10% - 04/12/2012 scar, s/p right plantar fasciectomy, thigh graph, fibromatosis
      20% - 04/12/2012 scars, s/p left plantar fasciectomy, thigh graph, fibromatosis
      10% - 04/12/2012 s/p left plantar fasciectomy, thigh graph, fibromatosis (now rated as bilateral)
      thank you,
      Steve
    • By Wise Guy
      What are the easiest claims to claim for besides Erectile Dysfunction thats also hard to prove for SMC? Asking for a friend.
    • By asknod
      Here's a great story to start Spring. Janet and Donald are my oldest customers. Janet found me here in 2014 before I was accredited. She waited and bided her time waiting for me to get my license to kill. 
      https://asknod.org/2020/03/09/bva-r2-you-cant-always-get-what-you-want/
      Nothing, I mean nothing, could keep this woman from winning. She also snagged all the goodies on SHA and the auto grant without me. I do hope Cupcake will be that aggressive on my account if I get this ill.

• By asknod
      This was a big week at asknod. I just wish my neighbor John had gotten R2 out of the gate. It ain't over until Secretary Bob weighs in when he reads my email Monday morning. One of the Vets, Andrew, is a member here- or should I say- his wife is. She found me here and I'm honored to have helped her. 
      https://asknod.org/2020/02/22/va-baby-you-can-drive-my-car/
      When I came home from Vietnam, I never ever thought there would be a day when I'd say I was proud to have served my country. It was ugly in 1972.  Now, I'm overjoyed at the ability to pay it forward. Thank you Lord for the Internet. It's a Godsend to so many who are clueless. Leave no one behind. I still wish I could have named my site What would a Veteran Do? (WWVD). That's what wives are for.
      a
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 10 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 48 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines