VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veteran Needs Help

Rate this question

Fat

Question

Talked to a female veteran whom was discharged from the National Guard, basic training, after fracturing her hip.

She says she still has problems from the hip fracture 7 years later.

She wasn't aware of VA disability.

I forwarded numbers to the American Legion and DAV to ask questions.

She said, since I wasn't in for 180 days, I thought I didn't qualify for any benefits.

The veteran currently doesn't have health insurance, but most municipalities have a indigent care fund for the uninsured.

Any suggestions on veterans short of 180 day criteria?

Any other benefits veteran might qualify for besides VA housing certificate?

If she is service connected, will a basic minimum rating qualify for VA healthcare?

All comments welcome..........

🤠

Any service connected disability is covered by VA health Care, with NSC stuff covered with Co pays and priority levels until 50% rated, then NSC stuff is covered full as well. An injury in training qualified for benefits when if 180 isn't hit but she'll have to show off have proof that it happened as a direct result of service. SO, LOD, Sick call, in patient, outpatient records, stuff like that. Was she discharged because of it? If so then that's already done. So she'll have too get it SC too qualify for medical care butt if she med boarded because of this then that will be ready. Her TAP or med board coordinator should have told her this while she was still in, but I remember when I was medboarded in 2002-much of the process was a blur to me, too, until I spent several hours in the px internet cafe looking this stuff up. Then I was able to better ask questions of my command and the coordinator people's about what too expect. 

My suggestion would be is to have her apply for compensation and see if she is granted a disability, depending on her circumstances, VA may or may not approve her claim. Make VA put it in writing and appeal if she has to. 

Am I eligible for VA disability compensation?

You may be eligible for VA disability benefits or compensation if you have a current illness or injury (known as a condition) that affects your body or mind and you meet at least one of the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true. You:

• Served on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training, and
  • Have a disability rating for your service-connected condition

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/

IMHO no one knows what VA and a rater will do. If the veteran can prove by medical evidence that they injured themselves while on active duty basic training and the injury has become a disability (HANDICAP) then the veteran should be service connected. The key would be to try to get service connected. 

That’s where sick call or LOD comes into play. Even if she wasn’t boarded (which I would think she was, based on the short time active, unless it was an admin or some other ELS type thing) if she has an LOD or strs with the injury she could at least get into va medical. In svc event would be covered. Hopefully she’s been getting it treated somewhere to establish that there is a current dx of a disability or issue. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Brokensoldier is spot on. This 180 days stuff scares away a lot of veterans. It just isn't true. She just has to prove out s-c, like everyone else. If she was md boarded out or discharged for the injury, it would be  slam dunk. I got a friend get benefits (50%) for a disability that happened 50 years prior in basic. The problem is many people, including VSO's just repeat this 180 day thing without understanding the rule. If it happens in-service, you are service connected.

• HadIt.com Elder

I ALSO AGREE WITH BROKEN SOLIDER 244TH  THATS SOME GOOD INFO.