VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc and tbi question

Rate this question

Crazy section 8

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey WELCOME TO HADIT.

Head trauma may increase the risk of developing schizophrenia, a new study says. The results show people who have suffered from a traumatic brain injury (TBI) are 1.6 times more likely to develop schizophrenia compared with those who have not suffered such an injury.  

Did they give you the 100% for the schizophrenia?   or PTSD?   if they did I think you can get other conditions that the TBI causes or is related to..  depending on what the TBI CAUSES AND THE SEVERITY OF THE SYMTOMPS.

Remember VA only Warrants One  MH Disability  We can't have two,  so if you have a schizophrenia  and THEY  diagnose you also with the TBI   then any conditions THAT  could be related to your TBI that arise later on in life that your TBI causes you should be able to service connect them also.  And being your s.c. for 100%  if you get other conditions that your TBI causes or related to  you can file for them and if the condition is 60% or higher  then you can get on the SMC Wagon  meaning more money per month on top of your 100%

THIS MAYBE WHY THEY DIAGNOSE YOUR TBI?  SO ITS A GOOD THING IN MY OPINION  NOT THAT I AM SAYING YOUR TBI IS A GOOD THING BUT THE DIAGNOSE FOR IT WILL BE IF YOU GET SOME MORE BAD CONDITIONS CAUSED BY YOUR TBI.

Congratulations on your win!

The coveted 100 percent P and T is NOT easy to get, and entitles you to a whole slew of benefits, too.

For example:

1.  Did you know you get 10,000 free life insurance?

2. Many states, too have benefits such as free or reduced cost property insurance.

3.  Your spouse should get Champva. 

4.  Your kids should get DEA chapter 35.  (To go to school).

Its hard not to be happy when you get 100 percent!  "If" you have an additional 60 percent, separate and distinct, you can get 'statuatory" housebound (SMC S).  You can still get SMC S, even if you dont have an additional 60 percent seperate and distinct, if your doctor says you are substantially confined to your home.  

You need to check the effective date.  (I assume you got the letter).  

Compare that to the date you applied.  The effective date is the later of the facts found or date of claim.  "If" you applied within  a year of exit from service, you can get it backdated to the day after exit from service.

There are other exceptions to the effective date rules, too.  

Edited by broncovet

They often do combine an mental health and tbi together.  For instance, I got 100% ptsd and a tbi rating of 70%.  They combined the two for 100% ptsd with tbi.  They did separate migraines at 10%.  Too many symptoms overlapped with both ratings.  They gave me the higher of the two and combined them.  At least that is what the award letter says.  I have seen them separate the two in very rare occasion.  

I have other conditions that get me to the SMC level (scarring, tinnitus, fibro, etc.)

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, El Train said:

They often do combine an mental health and tbi together.  For instance, I got 100% ptsd and a tbi rating of 70%.  They combined the two for 100% ptsd with tbi.  They did separate migraines at 10%.  Too many symptoms overlapped with both ratings.  They gave me the higher of the two and combined them.  At least that is what the award letter says.  I have seen them separate the two in very rare occasion.  

I have other conditions that get me to the SMC level (scarring, tinnitus, fibro, etc.)

El Train Thanks for clearing this  I was not sure how they did that?

I knew A veteran can have  MH Disorder PTSD   and  Depression Disorder and only get one of the two ratings  but they can also diagnose veteran with the TBI ,

I was not sure how they would throw that in without overlapping the two? so they combined the two and rate according to symptom's so if the MH PTSD SYMTOMPS WORSE  THEN THEY RATE THE PTSD AND WITH DEPRESSION  OR THE SYMTOMPS OF THE TBI  THEY RATE THEM AS ? SECONDARY TO THE TBI? YOUR CASE WAS A 60%

I NEVER TRULLY UNDERSTOOD THIS TYPE OF RATING  WITH PTSD AND A TBI  RATED TOGETHER AS ONE DISABILITY?

SO with you they rated your PTSD AT A HIGHER RATING 100%  AND THE LESSER RATING FOR THE TBI &  if the TBI is separate and distinct rated  as a STATUORY RATING. THEN THEY HAD THE SMC S ON TOP OF YOUR 100% PLUS DEPENDENTS.  COEERECT?

I am thinking they need to be separate ratings altogether?   THE TBI is fairly new and they differentiate  the tow or the  two and  rate according to the severity of symptom's

Buck, my understanding is they only separate some symptoms of TBI.  Thing's like Meniere's disease, headaches, eye/vision issues (which I have and not rated), incontinence, etc.  The cognitive, sleep, mood/anger issues are overlapped with PTSD.  I think having the 100% ptsd with tbi is a solid reasoning for P&T.  It ain't gonna get better.  Otherwise I may be looking at future exams without the tbi.  That is just my thinking.

Here's the thing about tbi ratings; they go with any category you rated highest at (or worst at).  In my case I rated a 70% in one category.  I can't remember which.  Actually, that might be the category.  Memory, recollection, disorientation of time or place issues (I don't know what day or time it is, or siblings names when put on the spot). Otherwise, that is a high rating for tbi.  The other categories, I was fairly low.  Take a look at the tbi dbq if you can find one.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that  El  I believe your correct. and that's what I was thinking.