VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc and tbi question

Rate this question

Crazy section 8

Question

Basically PTSD and TBI share many symptoms and secondary effects. For example a person with PTSD can suffer from depression secondary to it. So can a person with TBI. Both PTSD and TBI injujries can also evidence and share many of the diagnosis under the 10 stautory areas of TBI. TBI can cause PTSD. So the VA will always default to TBI if it is the higher of the two and associate the secondary illness to it. The same is true to PTSD as well in most cases. If a veteran has several proven and distinct MH issues, as well as PTSD they will often group them under it to support a higher rating of the PTSD.

If a veteran had both TBI and PTSD, the VA will default to the higher rating of the two (which is actually a good thing like he says) but...

As Buck52 says there is a TBI SMC T category under CFR 38  3.350 (j) as well as Housebound or SMC S which is under CFR 38 3.350 para h3 (i). I think Buck52 calls this the SMC "wagon"... which I think is hilarious. Seriously read CFR 38 section 3.350 and it should answer any questions about SMC, well maybe. If not just jump back and I'll try to explain it in human speak instead of VA speak ok? In any case it looks like what they did was appropriate and correct (however to really say for certain we would need much more factual info ok?)

Sixthscents

I think the ? Is do u have a tbi condition which should given a smc for tbi. 

To me my opinion is yes they listed it with your disabled.

And by law u can't have two mental health rating. So I feel the decision help

For the smc tbi the decision already stated you have a tbi.

Now the other thing that need I can't remember off hand.