• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

297%
    $4,468.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

1151 Claim for DM 2

jackjack37

Question

I submitted a claim to service connect my diabetes mellitus II because my doctor never diagnosed my diabetes. I found out I was diabetic when I went to an urgent care and they did lab work and found my blood glucose over 400, A1c 13.4. I was transported to a local hospital by ambulance and spent 2 days in ICU and another day on the regular floor. I was diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis with acute kidney injury on May 19, 2019.

I found note in my medical records where it said I was prediabetic on 9 Apr 2018, I don't remember ever having a conversation with my doctor telling me I was prediabetic. My A1c was 6.0 and blood glucose was 143. My A1c was never checked again in that whole year and I had blood glucose readings on 6/25/2018 (103), 10/10/2018 (186) and 3/20/2019 (285), I didn't know about these elevated numbers until I looked thru my records when I was filing my claim. My doctor never contacted me about them. I now know I was getting sick when I had the 285 reading. I had diabetes at this point. Let me also mention I had other risk factors: obesity, family history, age, race, inactive lifestyle, high blood pressure and high cholesterol all of which is documented in my records. She also has been my doctor for over 2 years at that point. I sent her a secure message complaining  I was losing weight and feeling dizzy, unsteady on my feet, pins/needles in my feet. She sent a message back saying it probably was because I was a picky eater (I told her this before) and that I was taking topiramate for headaches. 

My claim keeps getting denied. Is this a winnable claim? 

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes this might well be a "winning" claim.

I proved my husband had undiagnosed and untreated DMII and that it contributed to his death.

I filed it a direct SC ( he was a Vietnam Vet and DMII is presumptive to Agent Orange) because I had l ready won FTCA/1151 (DIC)on a few of his other VA malpracticed  conditions, and could not file another DIC claim ( until Nehmer) . 

Please scan and attach the denial here, as we need to see the Evidence list, and their rationale for the denial.

Cover your C file #, name, address prior to scanning it.

Your "doctor"- I would suggest filing a FTCA claim but that depends on many factors ( explained in our FTCA forum here) and if your doctor is a federal contractor ,they are not technically a VA employee and FTCA does not apply to them.

I posted a link here searchable as to VA Providers,because VAMCs are full of them, and they are not liable under FTCA. 

VA; malpractice stats have been so high ( for decades s) that they hire these contractors so they (VA) cannot be sued if the contractor malpractices on a veteran.

I have been a VA claimant for over 2 decades and in this case -my DMII death claim) I obtained 3 IMO ( Independent medical opinions) to support the extensive evidence I had found in 6 years of VA health care my husband got, all of which revealed malpractice and even a VA attempt to cover that all up but they failed.

VA fights these claims aggressively.

You stated:

"I sent her a secure message complaining  I was losing weight and feeling dizzy, unsteady on my feet, pins/needles in my feet. She sent a message back saying it probably was because I was a picky eater (I told her this before) and that I was taking topiramate for headaches. "

You might have peripheral neuropathy in your feet due to the DMII, and the headaches and dizzyness could be something more serious- caused by the high cholestrol- 

you seem very willing to go over your VA medical records.....that is great- and that is the way I found my husband had multiple misdiagnosed conditions, heart attack treated as sinus infection, HBP due to contraindicated meds, multiple transcient ischemias , mini strokes) and a full blown stroke, and a fatal heart attack. ( SC under Nehmer)

He had very high tryglycerides as well and this was a strong factor in my claim.

The VA's Endocrinologist gave ridiculous statements that denied the 1151 death claim at first- I knew more about DMII than she did-but they kep ignoring my medical evidence, and I was in military school  at that time and I patiently waiting for a BVA award..which I got.

We need more info and the scanned denial will help ( to include the evidence list)

What did the VA give you for the cholesterol problems?

A simple HB1AC test could have saved my husband's  life- ( maybe) or maybe they would just have continued the malpractice.)

Do you have a good source of medical acronyms?

I used Merck because the VA used Merck when I filed my claim.

This is funny now but one of the obtacles I had to overcome.

I found a medical entry of DVD in the med recs- Merck said that meant Diabetic Vascular Disease. The VA endocrinologist said it meant the veteran "denies having  venereal disease".

What a crock- he had VD in Vietnam (treated incountry per his SMRs)and that was on all of his VA rating sheets.

I had to decifer a crossed out entry that i ignored when I filed FTCA.- a VA doctor had told him his problems were due to diabetes  but there was nothing more in the med recs on that,except the decifered entry which mentioned diabetes . The doctor , a Neurologist left the VA and it took me 8 months to find him in private practice. He remembered my husband and wrote a very brief email to me, that Dr Bash incorporated into his IMOs, after calling the doctor. asking him to put that email to me on his letterhead, which he did, and the BVA gave that brief neuro opinion as much weight as all of my other evidence.

Thank you for replying back so quickly. I already have a diagnosis for peripheral neuropathy documented in my records. I was only put on medicine for high cholesterol after my diabetes diagnosis. My primary care doctor put me on simvastatin. My doctor is from the VA. I never saw an endocrinologist at the VA. I also believe a simple follow-up HBA1c test could have saved me from ending up in the hospital. Can someone walk me thru the steps to link my denial letter to post.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cover your C file, name address prior to scanning it.

Save the scan and go down to the "choose files" thingy at bottom of the reply area, your PC files should pop up and you should see the new scan under  jpg.,or doc  etc depending on how you saved it- I had to attach something below to see if I told you the best way to do it.

Recently I had to send many scans of Thanksgiving cards out for my church but instead of using jpg to save them I copied and pasted  and the scans into  in Word and from there I copied and pasted them into the emails I sent- so I guess both ways might work for you.

#3 deck cushions Fran.jpg

• HadIt.com Elder

I forgot to add- diabetes does not kill anyone, it's complications do,if not properly treated.

My husband's complications from DMII were heart disease, multiple TIAs ( mini stokes,) a 100% P & T full blown stroke, visual problems, peripheral neuropathy, peripherial arterial disease, odd low body temperatures, oral  candidiasis, etc etc etc  and they all needed a strong link to his DMII.

I used the 1997 VA Diabetes Training letter but I think that is on the older hadit board. There shoud be a newer version somewhere here under a search.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By JonathanAD
      I filed a claim for Sleep Apnea secondary to my PTSD, which is service connected.  I have been diagnosed from the VA as having sleep apnea, and given a CPAP to wear at night.  I used Carpenter Chartered Law Firm to do the claim, but got this denial letter (attached is an excerpt).  In it, it says "In the absence of other major risk factors such as obesity it would be reasonable to attribute OSA to PTSD as this is considered a risk factor for OSA from uptodate.com".
      My thought is that if both obesity and PTSD are considered risk factors, shouldn't it be a 50% chance that it could be either obesity or PTSD, and go to the veteran's favor?  And doesn't that mean that attributing OSA to obesity is just as speculative as attributing it to my PTSD?
      I had Carpenter Chartered start an appeal, so I am hopeful to get it approved.  

• By shotgun
      Hello,
      My claim is being denied over and over again since 2009 and the VA states it is due to my OTH Discharge . Here is a rundown of the claim,
      Bars to benefits per the VA:
      1. AWOL more than 180 days
      2. Acceptance of OTH discharge in-lieu of General Court Martial.
      VA states no records indicate insanity at time of offense, nor compelling circumstances. I recently was made aware my mental health records from Fort Bragg do exist but for 12 years I was told they don't. Someone eventually informed me after countless calls that they do exist and cannot be released to me because of the sensitive information within and might me attempt suicide? 
      I filled the supplemental claim October 28, 2019 with 4 "buddy statements", gave specific locations of these "clinical inpatient records from Fort Bragg", listed my current mental health treatment records from 2012 to 2019 and I am now seeing a VA psychiatrist at the mental health clinic in Tampa, FL 2019 to 2020. VA closed the supplemental claim Novemeber 20, 2019 after 23 days.
      Called and requested a informal hearing via telephone with ST. Petersburg Florida RO, called 800-827-1000 and a represenative filled out VA Form 27-0820 on my behalf. Mysteriously the same supplemental claim "reopened" on VA.GOV Website and after speaking with a "Assistant Coach" as the man claimed he literally said my claim had no hope and to just give up cause your service is dishonorable. VA closed supplemental claim again December 13, 2019.
      Fast forward to February 2020 and behold my long awaited clinical inpatient records from Fort Bragg arrive, My period of treatment was from August 1998 to February 1999, the records I got covered only November 1998 to February 1999. I was excited because I finally had the silver bullet and my records proved I had 9 different diagnoses, 52 days in the WOMAC Psych ward at Fort Bragg. Plus I was awaiting for a bed at medical holdover for a Physical Evaluation Board to wrap up my medical discharge.
      Filed Supplemental claim March 10, 2020 with a clear and concise case that I was insane at the time of offense and 13 days later on March 23, 2020 claim closed again but here is the kicker they once again reopened the October 28, 2019 claim and as of yesterday March 31, 2020 they closed it again.
      After speaking with a VSO who called on my behalf to inquire the reason, and no surprise it was the character of my service and once again they denied me even though I provided a legal brief that I learned how to write so they could understand every statue and regulation that applies to my claim.
      Lastly, here is one more point I applied for a VA home Loan certificate and was denied which I knew I would be but wanted the character of service determination and I got the letter stating my character of service is sufficient for VA purposes, so go figure?
      If anyone can please help me here I would greatly appreciate it, I am exhausted from staying up every night reading statues and VA regulations, I am about at the end of my rope.
      Sincerely, yours
      Frankie I.
    • By rightstrivinsissy
      Hello Hadit Helpers, 
      I feel like I am stumbling around blind. I hope someone can help me see.
      I was service connected in 2011 severe anxiety due to mst and a bladder condition.
      I have not had gainful employment since ETSing in 2004. I was re-evaluated for an increase and received an overall 70 - 40 -10 but started being payed at 80% in 2016. 
      In June of 2019 I applied for TDIU. I hit the make a decision now button on ebenefits, which was like shooting my own foot for lack of patience, not realizing that this meant the VA could not request any further info from me.
      In August I was denied, and obtained an attorney. 
      The attorney took over and ebenefits is showing the privacy act starting on October 4th and my claim is now in the evidence gathering/decision making process. Estimated end date of April 2020, the attorney says 3 years, but I know there are new systems in place to make things move a little quicker.
      I am looking for any information that you all would have about what is actually happening. I don't know if this is a NOD or what. My case manager acts like I am a major pain and won't give me any info and I fear she has no idea what she is actually doing. =(
      I assume it is not an actual appeal yet, because my case manager said they would have to wait for my c-file before they would appeal on the next denial from the VA.  
      I am so confused, If any of you experts could find the time to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have always dealt with the VA on my own with no previous denials, but never fully understood what I was doing. I thought hiring an attorney would change this, but I still feel just as blind as before.
    • By mikeriggs
      I filed a claim in october of 2018 for ptsd and TDIU, long story short I tried to do everything myself and didn't have the proper diagnosis so I was service connected for anxiety based on having a medical marijuana card diagnosis for anxiety but the rating was 30% and I much worse off then that. So I obtained a referral from the va to a fancy psychiatrist from the university of north florida's behavior health department and was diagnosed with ptsd, bi polar 1 and panic disorder. I used this new medical evidence as my supplemental claim evidence and filed it April 16, 2019 after receiving my letter March 20, 2019. My claim is now at Pending Decision Approval with an estimated completion date of july 2, 2019 which is super fast from all I have read. My question is, Am I going to be awarded tdiu with the evidence I submitted if they adjust me up to 70% which I think it will . Or if they award 70% for ptsd on this new supplemental claim will i have to re-apply for tdiu again? Or would that all be considered in the final review of the entire claim? Thanks for any help.
      1-22 1BCT 4th I.D. "Regulars by God"
    • By DonaldANG
      Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me in to the forum.
      Last year I filed a new claim for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. For the past 3 years, I have been seeing a civilian psychiatrist for my anxiety and depression. She had already diagnosed me with GAD and Major Depression, and I have been on anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants, and sleep medication. I was on differing types of the same medications since coming out of the service, but it wasn't until about 3 years ago, that I admitted to myself that I needed mental help, and that is when I started seeing my civilian psychiatrist, and that is when I first heard of GAD and Major Depression, when she said she had diagnosed me with them. It was at her suggestion, that I file a claim with the VA for GAD and Major Depression. She said she very much felt like my conditions were associated with my time in the service. When it was finally time to have my C&P exam, I was interviewed by a VA psychologist. I told her about my civilian psychiatrist, and her diagnosis for me, and the medications she had me on. I also talked to her about my time in the service, me being overseas in the Gulf War, and me being in a humanitarian mission in Ecuador. I told her about my friend who was with me during basic training. And how he was shot and killed right in front of me, in a horrible accident, during one of our live ammunition training exercises. I told her how all this had affected me from those moments on, all the way until now. At the end of our meeting, she told me that she felt like my condition was more PTSD, rather than Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. At the time I didn't think anything of what she said; that is until I was sent my denial letter. In my denial, it stated that my 2 claims for GAD and Major Depression, was changed to GAD (to include PTSD) and Major Depression (to include PTSD). So the VA psychiatrist did what she said she would. She essentially changed what I had claimed, and added (to include PTSD) on each of my 2 claims. So, for the basis of PTSD, there has to be a proven stressor. The VA used what I had talked to the psychiatrist about the death of my friend during boot camp, as my stressor. The VA said they searched records during the time I was at boot camp, and found no incidents related to what I was saying. So, because the VA psychiatrist took it upon herself, to change my claimed conditions from GAD and Major Depression, to GAD (to include PTSD) and Major Depression (to include PTSD), now it was up to me to prove a stressor, because with claims associated with PTSD, you must prove your stressor. I knew from talking to other Army buddies of mine, how difficult it could be sometimes to find old records of deaths. The death of my friend during boot camp happened in 1962 at Ft. Jackson, SC. My civilian psychiatrist never suggested to me that I had PTSD. She always said it was Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression. If I had wanted to file a claim for PTSD, I would have done so. But I knew how difficult it would be for the VA to search for and find any record of the death of my friend at boot camp. So I filed GAD and Major Depression, because I was told those claims did not require a specific stressor (exact time, place, person, etc). I was told that GAD and Major Depression, could be claims based on your entire military career, with everything you've done and everything you've experienced, all amounting to intense anxiety and depression. So that is why I claimed GAD and Major Depression, over that of PTSD. But because the VA psychiatrist took it upon herself to change my 2 claimed conditions, and added the words (to include PTSD) to each of my claimed conditions, it was not just GAD and Major Depression any longer; it includes PTSD, which requires a specific and provable stressor. I had a stressor, and very specific one - the death of my friend during live ammunition exercises during our time at Ft. Jackson, SC boot camp in the summer of 1962. But the VA said neither they nor the JSRRC could find any record of that taking place. If my 2 claims had remained what they were suppose to be, simply GAD and simply Major Depression, I do not think I would have been denied. But because the VA psychiatrist added PTSD to each of my conditions, the VA asked for my stressor, the VA and JSRRC said they could find no record of my stressor, so my claims were denied. I believe I would have been approved if not for the VA psychiatrist adding PTSD to my 2 claimed conditions.
      So with all that said (and I apologize for the length of it), is there any hope for me, if I appeal my denial? And do any of you know how I would go about appealing it? Would I simply say to the VA that I disagree with the VA psychiatrist adding PTSD to my 2 claims, when I never claimed PTSD myself?; that that was her decision entirely. I have had a VA Disability Representative for the past couple of years, but he was utterly useless. He never answered my calls or emails. He basically never helped me at all. I did most all myself over eBenefits. But now, since I've had this recent denial, I have considered hiring a VA Disability Law Firm to take my case. I've spoken with 2 so far. They both told me I had a very strong case and that I could win. But they also said they couldn't take my case because of their huge client load. I think it was simply that they could probably win my case, but there wouldn't have been much in the line of backpay, so they wouldn't have gotten much compensation for their work for me. So I guess I will continue searching for other VA Disability Lawyers, or I may have to appeal my denied claim myself over eBenefits.
      Could any of you, please help me with this? I have read many questions on here regarding GAD and Major Depression, but I haven't come across one yet, where they filed a claim for GAD and Major Depression, and then the VA psychiatrist during the C&P exam, decided to change the claim (to include PTSD), thereby changing the criteria for acceptance, by now making me prove a specific stressor, instead of it she had just left my 2 claimed conditions alone, without including PTSD to them, then no specific stressor was required - it would simply go by your overall experiences while in service. I am a 20 year Veteran by the way, with most of my time served in the National Guard. But I was activated numerous times during my 20 years, including during the Gulf War. It isn't my fault that the death of my friend during boot camp, isn't something the VA or JSRRC can locate in records. If the VA psychiatrist had just left my 2 claimed conditions alone, instead of tacking on (to include PTSD), then the VA wouldn't have even had to search for a specific incident, they would have just based my conditions on my overall military experiences.
      Thank you for any help, assistance, or advice you might be able to give.
      Donald
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 17 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines