VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

am i eligible for SMC-L and how do I apply?

Rate this question

chomperjones

Question

hello, 
i was told to look into something called smc l. i dont know if i qualify or not.

i was given a 100% permanent and total rating in 2015. here are my ailments. 

biploar disorder 70%
Asthma due to jet fuel exposure 60%
cystic acne due to jet fuel exposure 30%
carpal, allergies, tinnitus each at 10%

i also get ssdi 100% and they require me to use my sister to manage my finances.

my sister also basically serves as my caregiver. without her i dont believe i can function. she does everything for me from finances, to taking me to appts, to reminding me and sometimes helping me clean. and more. 

would i be able to apply for smc-l and if so how would i go about doing it. i overheard a family member discussing it with my sister and mom the other day. and it sounds very helpful. 

thank you

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

chomperjones

Good Question

I would like to know this myself.

You want to know if your eligible for the SMC -S 1( Special Monthly Compensation) due to your service connected disability's  that you received in 2015 100% with P&T  I would like to know if you are eligible from what you mention above & if you could go back to 2015  for a EED  on the SMC  S-1 I F Granted? Interesting question!

Normally the Veteran would need his Original service connected disability  or combined /disabilities to be service connected at 100%

Then has another condition SEPARATE FROM HIS ORGINAL that arises later on and the veteran files a claim for that condition  and is granted a 60%  or higher for this separate and distinct condition ,AT THE TIME IT IS GRANTED it is a statutory rating and should be considered to warrant this veteran the SMC -S 1  ...& If over 55 that helps too.

Thats the way I got the SMC -S 1

You need to have your doctor fill out VA form 21-2680 (EXAMINATION FOR HOUSEBOUND STATUS OR PERMANENT NEED FOR REGULAR AID AND ATTENDANCE) and file a claim. see link: VA Form 21-2680.

If approved you will receive SMC "S" or "L"

S is for housebound and L is for A&A

Best wishes

SMC has at least 2 criteria, and you can get it one of 2 ways:

1.  Do you have "loss of use" of a body part (such as a foot, eyes, etc), or do you need aid and attendance by another or housebound?  

2.  OR, do you have one disability at 100 percent plus another combined 60 percent seperate and distinct. (SMC S statuatory housebound).  

If you have loss of use, or need aid and attendance, or are substantially confined to your home, then apply.  Also, if you meet the critieria number 2, and VA has not already awarded it, apply. 

If in doubt apply.  VA says this:

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/serviceconnected/smc.pdf

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Once a veteran gains Housebound status either by actually being housebound or by Statutory Housebound with the total plus 60 rating, gaining Aid and Attendance is a big step. You have to require the need for Aid and Attendance. That actually means you have to have someone assist you with the Activities of daily living. Dressing, Eating, Bathing or to protect you from yourself or dangers in the home.  That would be at the SMC L or L 1/2 rate.

Once you attain that rate the door to the higher levels of SMC are opened. Asknod has a very well defined SMC explanation on his site that humorously explains it in detail.  

3 minutes ago, jbasser said:

Once a veteran gains Housebound status either by actually being housebound or by Statutory Housebound with the total plus 60 rating, gaining Aid and Attendance is a big step. You have to require the need for Aid and Attendance. That actually means you have to have someone assist you with the Activities of daily living. Dressing, Eating, Bathing or to protect you from yourself or dangers in the home.  That would be at the SMC L or L 1/2 rate.

Once you attain that rate the door to the higher levels of SMC are opened. Asknod has a very well defined SMC explanation on his site that humorously explains it in detail.  

thank you for this. could you link to the article??