VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Pay.....to 1969 !

Rate this question

jka

Question

My Q will be....does the Gov't owe me back pay?  I've gone 50 years without anything.....now what?  

Here are the particulars.

I was medically put on the TDRL in 1969 at 30% for seizures due to a SC - TBI.  I was on the TDRL....and after about 2 years....receiving $70 a month from the DOD...not VA.  The Navy Capt's called me to Great Lakes for an Eval...they weren't Doc's.  It wasn't a CP as we know them. 

They shortly after informed me...that my Seizures were over...and everything is fine and life will be okay !!   At that point, as a 20 year old confused sailor / working on my college degree.........I looked at the CDR and Capt...and said "okay".  I'm an E4....and saluted.

The 30% disability monthly then stopped ( like $75 or so ).  The Navy did have me sign a form....which I  read....from Brittany at the VA 800 number for the first time this week  12/03/2020.......That I was opting out of retirement pay.....to get VA disability comp.  ( The smart thing to do right ? )

I did get some follow up care at the Milwaukee and Madison, Wi. VA hospitals.....those once a year check ups.....required so that I could continue to get the seizure meds.

Fast forward to NOW.  In 2017 my Vet buddies said....go to the Madison VA for Health care.  I did....our VA could not be better.  it's in the top 8 national for care.

after applying.....all my clinic Doc's......cardio, sleep, psych....etc.....told me:  why haven't you applied for dis payments....You're rated at 30%"   Answer:  I was on the Dis list, did receive $$ for a few months...and the Navy and/or DOD.....stopped it.   

What's really PO'd my VA Drs.....is the lack of regard for a TBI back in '69.  There were no scans, no MRI's....no X-rays after the accident.  the NAVY ER dr's   USNH-GUAM.....after 20 minutes....said....hey, you're due to be on duty.....we have to let you go.  (  statement from Drs near exact )

And out the USNH I went and back to work.

I always knew I could go to the VA Hosp. here in Madison Wi, for help.  I did to keep the meds....but Thanks to my vet buddies in 2017...and my VSO:  I applied for TBI, seizures, migraines and depression.  The Depress was just added in September......that brought me up to 100 P/T.  (  I'm 66 ) 

NOW:  the VA today recognizes I've been 30% since 1968,  My Effective date on the last VA letter ( where I was rated is 30% effective 1968 )

Thanks for reading.  I have ZERO motives to get back pay......I just want my record straight.  Why'd the NAVY not inform me I could apply for VA care and Payments?   

Since I began this......The GOV'T  sent me my father's Med records......he's not with us but a Navy Capt. Who Ever is in charge of health records....needs a spanking !  LOL.    I don't have diabetes....my deceased Dad does.

Last Word:   The VA 1-800  peeps were jaw dropped ref the 30% being dropped amid continuing TBI related issues....that continue.  I'll repeat......out great VA here has helped me get to 100 T/P  as of 9/2020