VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PROPERTY tax exeptions for (disabled) Vets for each state

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

This is the list of states for property tax exemptions.  You may or may not be eligible, depending upon your states rules.  

"If" you have recently gotten a va disability rating or you have not yet applied yet for your state, by all means apply now, as there may be  a deadline to get your taxes reduced for that year. 

https://www.veteransunited.com/futurehomeowners/veteran-property-tax-exemptions-by-state/

5 answers to this question

Also important to note... In many state WITH property tax exemption there is a limit to how much they will exempt. This will also vary from state to state. 

Oh and the veteran must occupy the home... doesn't matter if they own two homes in the same county the county will normally only apply the exemption to the one the veteran lives in. Even if it it is to the county's advantage to use the smaller home (less tax to exempt) they will only cover the actual physical residence of the veteran and the property associated with that residence. This will also vary from state to state.

Sixthscents

Here in Texas, the disabled veteran's homestead gets an exemption based on amount of disability rating, right on up to ZERO taxes for 100% P&T.  But, there's more;  if you reach the 100% and get the total exemption, and you own other Texas real estate, you can still get a certain percentage off of the taxes for a second property.  Any additional properties will be taxed at full value, but you can choose which property the exemption applies to.  I have no idea if any other states do this.

As someone who just went through this with KY, for my State they only exempt you from taxes based on a maximum of the "property value".  Meaning, you only get a "credit" of taxes due up to the maximum property value of 48K (I think).  If your home is worth more than the max , you pay the tax due on the difference between home value and max.  

Example:  Home value is $150K you don't pay property tax on the first $48K, but you do on the remaining $102K.  

The way the benefit it written made it sound like you got credited for "up to $48K in taxes due".  Confused me.

• HadIt.com Elder

It really is a good example of the veteran being an advocate for themselves. Each state IS different. Some are much more "veteran friendly", like Texas. Mass, for example, pays an annual $1000 annuity for any veteran rated at 100%. Some, not so much. Lot of the time the benefits are complicated, like Flow1972 said, and you have to call the town office to find out. So it is on the veteran themselves to go on line and check it out. Or, contact a state or county VSO. Or do BOTH. If you just go by what your veteran friend tells you, you can be missing out.

• HadIt.com Elder

We live in Texas Also.

We just closed on a house Dec 9th  and went to the tax appraisals office last week  after all the Holidays and they are not seeing people in person due to the covid, so the lady on the phone said we need to contact the other county we  had our homestead exemption and have them send the  transfer of tax ceiling to this new county we moved to   never ask for my proof of being 100% P&T  Which I am and have the VA Letter.

they should give us back the tax we paid on this house   Dec 9th  the date we closed  until I get the exemption should be the full tax exemption , so right now were paying the full property and school road tax. 

we called the county tax office were we had the property  exemption  and they said to   ask them to send the property tax celling  exemption to the county we moved to  so were waiting on that.... were hoping our mortgage company will reimburse us for the property tax we have to pay now?

I am not sure  about what GB Army mention ''Texas. Mass, for example, pays an annual $1000 annuity for any veteran rated at 100%.'' 

So for we never got this 1000$ annuity???Maybe I should ask for it from the new county we moved to?  I could sure an extra 1000$$

We Moved from Johnson county Texas  to Tarrant County Texas  just a county north of Johnson county.

Johnson County Tax OFFICE WERE VERY NICE AND GLAD TO GIVE US THIS EXEMPTION...TARRANT COUNTY NOT SO NICE.

So were still waiting on the Tax Exemption from Tarrant county.