VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pursuing initial VA claim after separated 8 years ago, currently using a VSO. Worried - Do I need to provide VA full access to my providers or can I provide them records?

Rate this question

MaxMax

Question

Hi All -

I am new to the community, just found you guys a few days ago, because I had concerns about my initial claims process.

My question is:

Which is better - telling the VA to pull my records, or give them the records and letters I have or will get?

It has been eight years since I separated, and because of my mental health condition (depression, PTSD symptoms, anxiety) and just trying to fit into civilian life, I have been unable to begin my claims process. With the help of friends and family, I have now been able to do things like go through my military records (difficult process, emotionally), pull civilian records, and seek further assistance for my mental and physical health issues.

I have been doing research over several online platforms with regards to how to go about supporting my claim. The VSO that I paired up with seems to be of the idea to just give my list of conditions to the VA along with consent to pull records, and give it to them from there. This seems to conflict with advice given in the communities, who would say that the claimant should just turn over relevant or full records, along with nexus/medical opinion letters from individual doctors. They would say this provides the best chance at an accurate and speedy outcome.

I really can't bear the thought of being tied up with this claims process for another few years, because it already feels like it has been killing me for the last months/years. I want to be able to feel like I did it right the first time. 

Also, on the mental health side, I really do not like the idea of giving the VA access to ALL of my mental health sessions and care, because it is very personal and much of it is unrelated to military life. 

EDIT: I appreciate all these answers and am reviewing them. I think at this point I am leaning towards giving consent to access all records, as well as perhaps sending the full records on my own, along with my personal statements. My psychiatrist has requested that I basically give her my personal statement for her benefit, so she can review and get a full picture of the timeline and progression of the mental health side. I would like to have a letter from my my psych and therapist with the needed wording. 

Edited by MaxMax

I just did my claim online through ebenefits in January of 2019 (10 years after my separation), uploaded my pertinent health and mental health records, and was scheduled for my exams within a week of my submission. I was approved less than a month later. I added only my pertinent records for what I was claiming. I highlighted what I felt was most important. I did not add extra information and even omitted extra pages they wouldn't need to make a decision. I truly feel if you make their job easier it will pay off. When I went in for my exams (physical and mental)both providers were extremely kind and considerate towards me. I used the book Asknod, which was also quite helpful. And I was brutally honest with them about everything,  including having been suicidal on more than one occasion. I could not find a good VSO to save my life,  so I gave up and did  the while thing myself. I was awarded 70% for my depression and a total of 10% for my low back and radiculopathy both legs (10% each). I was not touched physically, which I thought a bit odd. Hope this information is helpful. 

Marcelle