VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Insomnia secondary to Tinnitus, Hypertension secondary to Tinnitus

Rate this question

Matt Birchfield

Question

Afternoon all.

I have been doing some research into Tinnitus and claiming secondary for Insomnia and Hypertension. I have a 10% for Tinnitus and 0% for hearing loss (submarine sonar tech), but honestly the lack of sleep is beating me down. I have not gotten a full night in several years. I usually get 5-6 hrs a night, with multiple interruptions due to what I feel is my ears ringing. 

I did a search on the forum here for tinnitus and Insomnia but the last post was from 2012, hence the new thread.

I was able to find 3 cases where the VA ruled in favor of the member for secondary insomnia and secondary hypertension, Case numbers: 1207104, 1522463, and 1600946. The last case was for insomnia only. I also have a study that is an Examination of the relationship between Insomnia and Tinnitus, DOI: 10.1177/1179557318781078

My question is how do I get this all linked together? I plan on going to my primary care and taking this evidence to him (He's a retired commander) and see what his thoughts are, but I was also referred to you guys as the knowledgeable peeps. 

Thanks

Matt

The only time the subject of gun ownership would come up is if you are found to be incompetent to take care of yourself. Of course, the subject of harming yourself and or others would trigger concerns but that is after you were declared unfit. Not knowing how severe your condition is, it would be pure speculation as to how it would develop.  

Gun laws are State/Local-specific.  In my State, No.  I've never had an issue, and I have a CCP.  It all depends on whether you're regarded as a "threat" to yourself or someone else.  As for connecting your Insomnia to your Tinnitus as with anything really....you don't need a Dr. to specifically spell out the connection from one to the other in your own personal records for every secondary condition.  I never did.  A lot of secondary conditions are "know" or "commonly accepted" as caused by (enter condition).  You DO need a diagnosis for the secondary though.  Get that and submit any studies or documented medical papers that link the two medically as well as any previous decisions where the VA granted if you feel like it's something not commonly connected.  That should be enough to file.

You should go see a PHD mental Health doctor tell him your symptoms and how your Tinnitus keeps you up all night. Your lack of sleep has to cause a depressive mood and anxiety, trust me my anxiety is terrifying and I know your tinnitus is preventing you from falling asleep and staying asleep if it is bad as mine. I was able to service connect anxiety and major depression disorder secondary to my 10% Tinnitus at 70%, so it can be done you just have to get an opinion from a Independent physiatrist and be very honest (don’t hold back) during your C&P exam.

@1454th Solider

Im not sure if I'm depressed, but I do have several anxiety issues that I have keyed into. I was working an installation onboard one of the submarines this past summer and had several small panic attacks that I had to work through. I left that job after 13 years due to overload and stress. I still have several small panic attacks in my current job, but nothing quite as bad.

My tinnitus is ever present, there's never a time I dont hear it. Thanks for putting yourselves out there to everyone who answered.

18 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Matt MH disabilities, PTSD in particular, are on veterans' radar, as they think that the government is going to take their guns away. No. My understanding is that the only way that could happen is if you were to threaten to hurt yourself or someone else. They do ask questions on ownership, how & where do you store them and accessibility, etc. But if you are not likely to show that lyou have bad intenyions, you'll be ok. As to your clearance, there are HIPA laws and you are protected. If you don't say anything, how would it come up?

Its actually a question on the SF-86 form, so it would come up. I'm getting in touch with my JPAS and Clearance guy to get his input. Agreed, for CCP as long as I am determined to not be a hazard I should be fine, however we all know that hope is not a plan. LOL I want to make sure I go down this path with my eyes wide open to any potential fall out.

Each state is different and this may be outdated but you can look it up from here. Keep in mind that you can be granted a mental health condition/disability and not be considered incompetent. 

North Carolina

N.C. Gen Stat. § 14-404.

A permit to purchase a handgun may not be issued to:

One who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or has been committed to any mental institution.

Possession of Firearms by People With Mental Illness (ncsl.org)