VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Project Help

Rate this question

Fat

Question

I am constantly thinking of ways to help new/old veterans understand the VA system.

I am steadfast against filing everything and seeing what sticks.  BAD ADVICE...............

Evidence wins claims. Do it the right way.

Most terms are foreign and hard to understand.

I'm putting  a list of the top 20 things to be done before submitting a claim.

I NEED YOUR HELP............

I am asking  posters to leave a simple word/sentence of advice to veterans filing their first claim.

I think it would be worthwhile.

I will start off.

1. Get your military medical records and organize all of your sick call visits.

a. After organizing all issues, if you are still hampered by the condition, visit a doctor, get tested (by verifiable means), and have doctor notate physical/residual limitations.

All comments are welcomed.

Learn to write 'research paper style'. Coversheet with the highlights of what you are contending, list of attachments (or uploads), approx dates, and PAGE NUMBERS (please). It makes things so much easier to find. Even if you uploaded it all as small chunks of documents I can usually find it and piece it together if its labeled or annotated in some way so I can find the contention and the diagnosis, and something indicating in service connection or in service event. Also, please dont upload half of Web MD- if its relevant mention it to your doctor and let them do it. Veterans can make 'lay statements' of potential connections, but only a doctor, PA, NP, can diagnose. If there is a connection needed in literature somewhere that you find, provide it to them (or the link/URL) and let them type it up ito their notes. Then its coming from them, not you. 

• Lead Moderator

I want to emphasize lay statements and buddy statements.  They won me 3 of my service connected disabilities.  There is no way for the VA to know what happened to you, unless you tell them!  and tell the doctors who are looking at you.  Far too often we take the macho approach to things as oh suck it up and drive on soldier.  Tell the truth of how things are affecting you and make sure you are not holding back or embellishing!  

1. Lay statements and buddy statements.

2. Tell the Truth!  

I had a buddy statement today from a platoon-mate, now spouse of a veteran with a back injury. First of those that ive seen. 

There are 3 things that work; and most other stuff does not work as well.  

1.  Ensure you have the Caluza elements.  

2.  Ignore naysayers who tell you it cant be done, suggesting you will get reduced if you ask for an increase or additional benefits.    My VSO suggested I "not apply for other benefits" after being awarded 0 percent for hearing loss.  Im sure glad I did not listen to the naysayers.  Naysayers are often VSO's, VA employees, and sometimes even well meaning Vets advocates.   I should have kept count on how many told me my claims would not succeed, and this even included attorney's.  

3.  Persist until you win.  Never give up.  Generally this means appeal.  Appeal "one more time" than the number of times you get denied, and you win.  

If you do these 3, you should win.  Not having Caluza elements wont work, nor will quitting because your VSO said you will get reduced if you ask for an increase.  Lastly, if you are not persistent enough, and give up, you wont win.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Make or tab access to 38CFR, especially part 4. Google and do the same for VA M21-1 manual. Read. Start to understand what the law says and how the VA interprets it by their process and procedures. Read. And READ some more.