VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First time claim, 8 years since discharge - Better to let VSO file or File on VA.gov?

Rate this question

MaxMax

Question

Hey, as title suggests, a few questions -

I am filing my first claim, which, in a perfect world, would have been done right after service, but it has been 8 years now through struggles to find the right diagnosis an getting treatment wrt mental health (I have another post as well).

I have been working through a VSO, who took a look at my mil records, but not my civilian records, and we have been doing a little work to identify which conditions to claim. 

I am wondering if it what is quicker, more efficient, better for all parties involved, etc...

Should I just pull up the va.gov site and submit a 21-526EZ through their site, with their web application (which allows me to put comments, attachments, guides through...), or to have the VSO file the 21-526 on my behalf? I'd have to do some more paperwork through him (like a middle man), instead of on the site directly. 

I am wondering if there is a perceived benefit to having the VSO be an intermediary?  Is there a way for me to submit on va.gov but also let them know who my VSO is?

For the most part you can run your claim better than depending on a VSO to upload everything. You can't check status like they can because you cant log into your Claims file, so Id keep one around for that, but they have 100-200 cases at a time so when it comes to submitting evidence,etc, its better and faster to label it well/highlight/circle/pg number whatever, and upload it yourself than waiting for them to do it. Its pretty easy to do if your claim isn't super weird, like, having to go to National Personnel for records for a stressor or something- thats taking FOREVER right now. Srsly, like, Ive had some claims pass my screen that have been waiting months now but the NPRCs aren't all staffed or even open in some locations due to covid. 

How about from a rater side? Does it give them more ease or credibility if the claim is submitted by a VSO? 

Am I able to put everything in myself, and still have it show that I am represented by that particular VSO as a contact? Thanks

No difference. Once its in the file it all looks the same. 

What I did was had a VSO and if I submitted a claim on my own, I kept them in the loop of what I was doing and what I was submitting, that way they could look at it and suggest anything else needed. You can't just submit and say you have a VSO/POA unless you actually have a current signed *by both of you*  VA 21-22. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

I agree with brokensoldier244th.  I had a VSO assist with my first two Claims.  She was terrible.  Hosed up my contact info, left off items I'd asked to claim, etc...  I found it MUCH easier to do it on my own after that.  However, she still got notified with each Claim because (as far as the VA was concerned) she was still listed as my VSO.

A good one can help you when you're really new to the process...but there's no difference in speed of processing or validity of claim.