VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First time claim, 8 years since discharge - Better to let VSO file or File on VA.gov?

Rate this question

MaxMax

Question

Hey, as title suggests, a few questions -

I am filing my first claim, which, in a perfect world, would have been done right after service, but it has been 8 years now through struggles to find the right diagnosis an getting treatment wrt mental health (I have another post as well).

I have been working through a VSO, who took a look at my mil records, but not my civilian records, and we have been doing a little work to identify which conditions to claim. 

I am wondering if it what is quicker, more efficient, better for all parties involved, etc...

Should I just pull up the va.gov site and submit a 21-526EZ through their site, with their web application (which allows me to put comments, attachments, guides through...), or to have the VSO file the 21-526 on my behalf? I'd have to do some more paperwork through him (like a middle man), instead of on the site directly. 

I am wondering if there is a perceived benefit to having the VSO be an intermediary?  Is there a way for me to submit on va.gov but also let them know who my VSO is?

• HadIt.com Elder

Flow1972 The point is that you keep on trying to help. It happens to all of us that keep on advocating for our brothers and sisters. You spend all the time an effort to show them how and what do do, and then nothing. Crickets. Inertia is a powerful enemy. People in general are reluctant to do it.; want someone else to. I had one guy that I helped. Called me almost a year later and started the deal all over again. I asked why he didn't follow thru the first time and he said blah, blah. OK, so I helped him again. Wouldn't you know he calls me again months later. Lame excuse again. So he asked me to help him again and I said sure. I'm going to tell you/show you one more time. You are going to start working it today  a month when I leave. In a week I'm calling your wife and ask her why she didn't get on you to submit the claim because he could be missing out on maybe $800 to $1200 because he didn't submit. That did it; he got the claim it. Didn't want to face his superior officer! But, it is frustrating for sure. But it is also very rewarding to get a call from a veteran you helped months prior and they thank you because they were successful too.

• HadIt.com Elder

1985 to 2020.  I think I took more than 18 years Bronco.  But then I get a lot of low grades on your assessment.