VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive for temporary 100% claimed after earlier effective dates granted.

Rate this question

deedub75

Question

Back in August 2020, my HLR asking for earlier effective dates for several disabilities were granted. Some of these effective dates went all the way back to 2010, so I got a nice chunk of retroactive pay. I had back surgery in 2014, a left ankle surgery in 2015, and a revision surgery in 2016 from the left ankle surgery. Since I was not service connected for any of these disabilities at the time of the surgeries, I did not claim temporary 100%. They all ended up in the appeals process and were finally granted with effective dates well before the surgeries.

I just submitted new claims for temporary 100% for all 3 of these surgeries on December 15, 2020, and I see that the VA has already ordered exams. There are plenty of recent exams that they could go on from March 2020 when I had exams for these so they could be rated. 

I was just wondering if anyone had done this before. I would probably get a couple thousand dollars if all 3 are approved. That first left foot surgery was a long recover with a cast and a boot for several months.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

Congratulations!  I have to admit, Im rather suprised you got a good result.  Was this BVA/HLR/Supplemental claim? 

Thanks broncovet! 

I had never filed for these before so they were new claims. What happened is that I filed for my left ankle in 2010 and the claim was ultimately denied. I went through all of the appeals processes and it was remanded by the BVA. I opted into RAMP with a supplemental claim and a nexus letter from my orthopedic surgeon and the claim was ultimately approved in 2020 but with the incorrect effective date. I immediately filed an HLR to correct the effective date and they corrected the date back to 2010. 

I had surgeries in 2015 and 2016 on the left ankle but since I wasn't service connected for my, I did not file for temporary 100%. I could have filed for it then but it would have been denied and then I would have had to put them in the appeals process as well so I just decided to wait for my original left ankle claim to be granted. 

Once my left ankle claim was granted, I had one year from the date of the grant (not the effective) date to file for an increase. A temporary 100% claim is processed as a request for an increase.