VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

70/iu & 100 Difference?

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Caveman,

This came up on my claim many years ago. It is my recollection that if you can get 100% schedular that this is the best way to go. However, if the 100 was to be based on an extra-schedular rating then it is the same process as 70% + IU. They just do the IU rating if you have not worked in a long time. I got the P&T also. When I was rated I had not worked in over ten years and told the DRO their was no way that I would return to work.

It is my understanding that if you are 100% schedular for a medical condition that you can have earnings from employment without risking a reduction in you rating. If you were 100% schedular for a psychiatric condition that was based on employment functioning, returning to work could reduce your rating. Hopefully, other folks have the M-21citings on this readily available.

It really depends in the situation. But in most cases you will not get to 100% schedular. I guess the question I have for you is what is the addition disability that you have that makes you think you can get to 100% schedular.

Normally unless you have a life threating condition, or loss of use of limbs, it is almost impossible to get to 100%.

Remember too that 100% and tdiu pay the same thing.

I`ve read many BVA cases where vets have been moved from 70 to 100. They all do not have an IU rating though. I guess there really is no advantage to being 100 p & t to being 70 w/IU p & t. They both have the same benefits. My main concern was getting school help for my daughter which because of illness I would not be able to afford. Now I can, so I am a happy man. I have decided to leave well enough alone.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

Caveman

It is worth filing an appeal to get the P&T. That is what I did and got P&T one year later. Now my wife has ChampVA. For shcool it would be good and if you appeal and win the P&T status goes back to your initial IU claim date. I was 70% IU and appealed for P&T. Now 5 years later I am up to 80% but never will get 100% because of the reasons Rick expressed. It is only for SMC housebound or A&A that 100% schedular might be useful. I think if you go at it from the back door by being approved for HB they might bump you up to 100% to justify giving you HB. A friend of mine did that.

rickb54 and

fla_viking

When I got bumped up to 70% with TDIU, for PTSD, I got my P&T at the same time, so it does happen on occasion, then about a year later I put in a claim for panic attacks with Agoraphobia , I had a C&P exam, without the VA telling me I was getting a C&P, so was approved for that, then they bumped me up 100% scheduler for PTSD. I guess it all depend on how bad the VA feels your disability is, in getting the right percentage.

Caveman

It is worth filing an appeal to get the P&T. That is what I did and got P&T one year later. Now my wife has ChampVA. For shcool it would be good and if you appeal and win the P&T status goes back to your initial IU claim date. I was 70% IU and appealed for P&T. Now 5 years later I am up to 80% but never will get 100% because of the reasons Rick expressed. It is only for SMC housebound or A&A that 100% schedular might be useful. I think if you go at it from the back door by being approved for HB they might bump you up to 100% to justify giving you HB. A friend of mine did that.

john999:

My 70/iu says p & t with chapter 35, champva etc. At least thats the way I read it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Caveman

Yes you got the whole thing. Now you can start sleeping at night. Congrats and take a break and wait for the back pay check. Don't spend it all in one place. 100% schedular is something to go for if you thing you can get A&A or are housebound. You have a year to file a NOD so take a break.