VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anybody filed for the new caregiver expansion for pre 911 vets to include vietnam era vets?

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

If you have filed for the new caregiver expansion under the Mission act, what is your progress? Availability to the older generation of vets became available October 1, 2020

I filed on or about October 1st. So far my caregiver wife, and I, have had one telephone interview by a VA caregiver agent and a video conference with a VA RN. Both interviews were to determine to what extent do we qualify for the benefit. I think that the interviews went very well. We were told that a decision would be forthcoming in six to eight weeks.

There are multiple benefits to the caregiver in the program including but not limited to compensation, medical insurance through CHAMPVA, education benefits and even travel pay.

My wife and I applied for the new pre 911 caregiver's benefits under the Mission Act on October 7th 2021. After going through the application process, three interviews, and the required training, we were successful.  My wife was assigned as my official caregiver and received her ID card and packet. 

The process took about five months. Her back pay will go back to the date of application. The problem is that she was awarded the lower pay level, level one. We immediately appealed the decision, asking for level 2 benefits.  I am a R-2 rated veteran. There are no veterans, either post 911 or pre 911 that have a higher rating than I do.  My wife assist me with seven ADL's and I could not sustain in the community without her help.  My question in the appeal is, if she does not qualify as a level 2 caregiver, then who does?

A veteran must appeal that kind of decision through the VA hospital patient advocate. The appeal is passed up to the proper VISN and they are bound by statute to make a decision within 45 days from the date of the appeal. I am confident that we will prevail.

A level one caregiver only receives 62% compensation.  A level 2 caregiver receives 100% compensation.  I feel that my caregiver fully qualifies as a level 2 caregiver and I am willing to stand up for her and fight for it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jamescripps2 Thanks for posting this. We have very little info on this process that is posted, so this is very informative.

• HadIt.com Elder

James you were the first veteran to get a A.O. CLAIM from being the first veteran to win a A.O. Claim in the  United  States

And hopefully you will be the first veteran to win this caregiver 2 position for your spouse. Were pulling for you my friend.

Also I think this program has it for 100%p&t war time veterans   veterans who served in conflicts such as Vietnam  due to Vietnam was not ever declared a war  but this new program is for Veterans that served in a hostile enemy territory  so Vietnam Veterans would be eligible.

I need help with my spouse although she is not a Veteran  her health has went down so bad she needs the help of another person and I understand this program is also open to give her the help she needs for compensation to pay a care giver  to come in.....I do all I can but there's things I can't do. and this is what this type of program is for also...so she got Her  Dr letter and another Dr letter describing her disability's. And the need for another person.

I am not sure about the mission act? I always thought that was for a Veteran to receive outside help out side the VAMC?

Right now were going to try to file online  we just need to get everything together.

I think member Hamslice has it for his spouse?

Anyway Good Luck James  if anyone can do this We know you can git her done.

stay positive my friend.

Of course, I dont know anything about your conditions, James, but VA has a history of delays, denies, and lowballs, in that order.  I have had all three, pretty much with every claim.  So, you will either have to appeal or "settle" for less than what you deserve.  

Many times, you may need medical documentation, and, if given your care mostly at home, that will be a little more difficult.  

Someone pointed out Nursing home care is very expensive for VA, so the idea is to keep you at home and save the VA money.  

If your doc said something to the effect that your caregiver "replaces" being sent to a nursing home facility, that may help you win this.  Maybe.  

• HadIt.com Elder
On 12/26/2020 at 12:59 AM, jamescripps2 said:

If you have filed for the new caregiver expansion under the Mission act, what is your progress? Availability to the older generation of vets became available October 1, 2020

I filed on or about October 1st. So far my caregiver wife, and I, have had one telephone interview by a VA caregiver agent and a video conference with a VA RN. Both interviews were to determine to what extent do we qualify for the benefit. I think that the interviews went very well. We were told that a decision would be forthcoming in six to eight weeks.

There are multiple benefits to the caregiver in the program including but not limited to compensation, medical insurance through CHAMPVA, education benefits and even travel pay.

No She/me have not filed yet 

James I am not sure if its the same program your in or not? This is A&A Filed  On the  21-2680, its a caregiver program  but this program is for disable 100% Veterans that need help caregiving for there spouse   even tho their spouses were not Veterans.

As I Understand it All veterans 100% service connected that served in a war  or was sent to hostile enemy territory are eligible that need help for their disabled non-Veteran Spouse.

I am not all that familiar with it  but I think the spouse needs to file the Application I sign it and she sends in her medical evidence   MRI  Images and the Dr's letter detailing her disability's and the reason she needs assistance from another person.

Not sure how this program works?   All I know I was told my spouse needs to file the A&A 21-2680

With my dang bad luck  it may not pan out for us  but as I understand if she is approved  they will increase my comp check from SMC S to? is anybody's guess?

Depending on the level of care  which is what gets down to the nity/ giddy,  she needs help with everything   other than she can feed her self but its painful for her to raise her arms , she don't eat but a couple of bites , she is on a down hill sparrow with her health  she goes for  major Neck surgery May 18th  to remove Two or 3 Vertebrae  out of her neck  VERY close to her spinal cord & replace it with plates and screws  its about 7/8 hour surgery  and could be paralyze the rest of he life...we may file before the surgery   we just don't know     but the Dr said if the surgery is successful she will still be IN capitated but hopefully have less pain.   

so were praying the surgery works  if it does  then she will need lower &upper back surgery  as soon a she heals from this surgery.  when it Rains It Pours  Around my house.

She has the ChampVA  and uses the Dr's and medication meds by mail.

But as I Understand it this program as yet to prove its self  I don't know of any Veterans that have this A&A caregiving  Progam  for their spouse....> other than member Hamslice  has it for his spouse  but he said it don't pay all that much  but every little bit helps.

Edited by Buck52