VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anybody filed for the new caregiver expansion for pre 911 vets to include vietnam era vets?

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

If you have filed for the new caregiver expansion under the Mission act, what is your progress? Availability to the older generation of vets became available October 1, 2020

I filed on or about October 1st. So far my caregiver wife, and I, have had one telephone interview by a VA caregiver agent and a video conference with a VA RN. Both interviews were to determine to what extent do we qualify for the benefit. I think that the interviews went very well. We were told that a decision would be forthcoming in six to eight weeks.

There are multiple benefits to the caregiver in the program including but not limited to compensation, medical insurance through CHAMPVA, education benefits and even travel pay.

The Mission Act expanded caregiver benefits to Vietnam and Korea area veterans. Prior to the mission act the benefit was only available to post 911 vets. This has nothing to do with A&A. In fact, I have A&A in addition to the caregiver benefits. Click the link below to become familiar with the caregiver benefit under the Mission Act. You only need a 70% service connection to apply. 

https://www.caregiver.va.gov/

• HadIt.com Elder

YES I UNDERSTAND THE A&A FOR VETERANS BUT THIS WOULD BE FOR MY NON - VETERAN DISABLED SPOUSE  SO IT DOES HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH A&A

Its New  and I don't understand it , other than haver her file the 21 -2680   unless this form has been changed lately? 

This is what we down-loaded and gave to her Dr's to fill out and write out a medical summery on her  and the reason she needs help from another person and send in her medical records for evidence to let them know how bad she is physically  and now its getting to be mentally.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/limitedincome/EnhancedorSpecialPension.pdf 

This applies to the living disable spouse as pension as well as  a surviving spouse ...so I guess it works the same way as a surviving spouse of a 100% war time veteran?

it's the same form for us Veterans such as yourself.

I am a Vietnam Combat Veteran  at 100% P&T  With the lower  SMC S H.B.  but the $$ is not even close to pay for a caregiver...here at home  I have my  S.C. Disabilities too and I been caring for her the best I can but her health has got a lot worse  and I need help with her.

This  21-2680 is the   Examination for Housebound status or Permanent Need for Regular Aid and Attendance, It is what form I was told to file on for her  but its going to be under her name  I just sign the form is all I do as for as Applying for it.

We gave it to her Dr's to fill out their medical impression and or medical opinion  and describe why she needs the Aid of another person.

I don't know why you think its not A&A? if you know the correct form for her to file  please advise.

I also don't understand why you call it the Mission Act   unless were meaning another program all together?

I always was thinking the  VA Mission ACT is for Veterans that can't get  VA medical  Care or can't be seen within a timely manner  and the mission act is to open the doors for the private sector   so the Veteran can use outside medical care  but like I said we must be talking about two different programs  that the VA calls A&A?

I am not sure who told me about it I think it was broncovet or some hadit member I can't remember who told me about it?

All I know its a new VA Program for 100% war time veterans spouses  to help with her medical needs.  and is paid the A&A  depending on the level of care she needs as to what the monthly payment would be and they add it to my comp each month. (as I understand )

but like I said I am not familiar with this New Program for 100% VETERANS SPOUSES.

If my spouse was a Veteran she would most likely qualify for the higher up SMC   maybe not the top one but up there pretty close  she is very bad and her body is crippled up so bad she can't walk or move around   and now its getting hard for her to even feed herself due to the pain she has trying to just raise her arm with a spoon..I been spoon feeding her and doing all I can to care for her but its taking its toll on me. she is going down hill fast....nothing else the Dr's can do for her   she is going to try some very serious surgery where they go in the front of her neck and replace some vertebrae and turn her over and remove some more veradbrays  they take them out and replace them with mental plates and screws  I am not sure what kind of surgery this is called bt the Dr said it is very intense surgery and about 1 cm away from her spinal cord  so this type surgery is dangerous but its the only way she may get relief from her pain  due to the bone missing from her vertebrae...I know this is all miss spelled  but its how I know to tell it as to what the Dr told me

The surgery will be about a 7 hour surgery  about the same  time as  Open Heart by pass   which she has had also  in 2005  VA did that too she was on ChampVA then and still is today. but the VA stopped the citi program for Veterans spouse  so she been outside the VA ever since  2005. just right after her heart surgery  so were thankful to the VA for that.  (it saved her life) her being on ChampVA helps a lot  with medication meds by mail  and were both thankful for that.

She is totally disabled by the SSA and on Medicare Since 2012 although she just turned 67 she  still has the ChampVA  AND SHE USES It as well as Medicare  but medicare don't pay for caregivers. 

Edited by Buck52

Buck, you are blazing a trail for the rest of us.  The mission act, which is supposed to help "older" Vets is new.  And, like AMA and all the other stuff VA does, its sure to have glitches.  

My wife has a home cleaner come once every other week, and I hire someone to cut my grass.  (I hate the noise of a lawnmower!) 

Our neighbor cuts my grass for 30 bucks and, since she needs the money, Im glad to give it to her.  She likes yard work.  I had to do it on the ranch for decades.  Mowing, raking, building fence, weeding, planting, irrigating.  Im tired of it all.  I helped my church landscape the other day, but mostly hire out my own.  God has blessed us and we can afford to hire others to do chores we choose not to do.  Labor is incredibly cheap here.  (When my home costs way less than 100,000, it means a lower house payment). My house payment, even with taxess and insurance is about $450 per month.  Many pay 3 or 4 times that.