VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are family caregiver benefits compensation under the Mission Act taxable to the caregiver, or is it tax free?

Rate this question

jamescripps2

Question

In my research on the subject of family caregiver compensation, I have never been able to determine if the caregiver stipend is taxable.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jamescripps2 It doesn't seem possible that it would be any different than what the taxability requirement would be any different than the what was afforded the previous group of veterans, like those from the '90's on. Someone who is receiving those benefits should be able to comment. It is really unfortunate but I'm afraid that those of us who were in this era won't even understand the benefit availability. Why would they expect things are "better" for their Vietnam service after 50 years? It's the VA's principal: deny, delay and let them die!"

• HadIt.com Elder

What does the VA mean when they mention countable income

Is our compensation like a 100%   Vietnam War Veteran that is 100% plus a couple of SMC s  is Compensation not pension  there's a difference between the two, but this is not pension  this is compensation as in service connected for different conditions.at 100% P&T with SMC S & K

Is that countable Income?

Reason I ask  I am filing a A&A Claim for my totally disable spouse (note she is not a Veteran) 

but theVA APPROVED A PROGRAM FOR VETERANS THAT ARE 100%  AND and served in a war zone & Their spouse is in need for A&A (AID & Attendance  under this new program.

We will  still need to file the 21 2680 and put on there this is for my disabled spouse.

Another one of my reason to ask how/what does the VA consider what is countable Income?

If they do count my compensation as countable income then I won't be eligible to file for the A&A IF this is correct?

Then Obvious that new A&A program that they offer the A&A to  to 100% disabled veterans spouses  is not worth the paper its written on.

Every 100% service connected Veteran would be getting way over the 10.000.00 threshold!!!

I found this in some of the regulations  but this might be the old regulations?

A veteran's and their spouse's joint, countable income must be less than the pension amount for which they are eligible. For example, a married veteran in 2020 is eligible for $27,194 in A&A pension; if their countable income is $10,000, then they are eligible to receive an additional $17,194 / year in pension.

I do not understand this?

Anybody know?  I ask a VA Claims Agent that lives just up the road from me  but he said he is not familiar with this  new program for 100% Vets to file the A&A for their disabled spouse  

Is Pension Separate from our compensation?  if it is  then it should not be counted as countable income?

I am totally lost on this.

• Founder

Well as far as the IRS is concerned it is not countable income, if you file bankruptcy it is not countable income, so it seems it's not considered countable income but I would send an IRIS to VA and ge them to answer that for you. https://iris.custhelp.va.gov/app/ask