VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

COVID VACCINE FOR VETERANS?

Rate this topic

update,,, while at the va, had to take a pee test, I no longer have a va doctor, my va doctor retired, the clinic made me take a pee test,, anyways, while there at that va clinic, they signed me up for my vaccine shots,,, so, in the coming weeks I will get two shots... even though I will not turn 65 until April of this year, the nurse gave me the appointments for the shots this month. it will help my anxieties. I am scared of the hell I will go through if I get sick from the covid. A friend I grew up with, his wife got covid a while back and was so sick they put her in an induced coma for a couple weeks or more.

VA employees, VBA included, can get the vaccine but I still can't. 

It's still basically a 'don't call us, we'll call you' for the vaccine. I have underlying conditions and they still have not called me. 

On 12/31/2020 at 11:46 AM, Buck52 said:

Anybody heard when the VAMC start Vaccinating us Veterans?

I realized they are vaccinating the health care workers first thing

I heard through the grapevine that they are suppose to send out letter's for the appointment date to come in and get the shot & return in 28 days and get another dose.  (We need to be vaccinated Twice) for it to be effective.

No letter for me  anybody know? Anyone recieved  the shot yet?

I sent a private msg to my VA PC, they scheduled me for past Friday 1/29/21, I received the !st Modena (luckily no side effects for me, slight soreness in arm similar to Flu shot). What was surprising is while waiting in a que to get the injection, they were taking walk-ins, no questions asked. Go figure.... Boston MA, Jamaica Plains VAMC 

• HadIt.com Elder

x020574 The VA has their procedures but also must abide by state requirements as well. How vaccines are given out differs throughout the country. The first hing you do is contact your doc, PCP,  say you have such and such and need it even though you aren't 75. If that doesn't work, call and find out who you can talk to at the VAHC giving the shots. If that doesn't work, call your Congressman's office and explain. Squeeky  wheel. If you are a caregiver also, that works also.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks guys  for all the replies and information.

My spouse called a number my VA  L.C.S.W. MH Therapist gave me  for me to get an appointment or get on the vaccine list

so my wife called for me  and they made the appointment  a week  ago and I had my first shot the first of Feb (Monday) and I go back the22nd and get the other.  my appointment was for 1:15pm  and I got out of there around 1:45  so not to bad  the line was long but it went by pretty fast.

They were a lot of veterans getting the shot  most about my age 681/2   but they were some fairly young vets too.

My shot kinda stung when she put the dose in me  but no reaction with it...I/we had to stay about 15 minutes after the injection , well we all did  after the injection....this one was the PfIzer 

I have other medical problems to worry about. (prostate problems)   grrrrr

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

All you Vets out there young or old  get up off your old assperalo &  call your VA PCP GET THAT APPOINTMENT they won't give you the injection if you don't have an appointment, 

I truly don't think age is a factor they were young vets getting there's too  when I got mine. its just a matter if you have the appointment or not  no appointment no shot. & please  remember each VAMC has there own way of doing things.

but you need to get these injection  because i am thinking they won't never find a cure for this covid and  more than likely from now on we all must social distances our self and wear the mask   I Personally don't look for this to ever go away  not negative thinking just a reality.

so we all need to comply and get use to this change.