VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where in my C-file are my SSA records?

Rate this question

kanewnut

Question

I was trying to find my SSA records but so far I haven't. There are over 5,000 pages in this version. I have tried several searches, but to no avail. I have searched for the individual whose records where mixed up with mine but so far can't find those either. Since I should have at least been awarded TDIU back to the time SSA found me unable to work, based solely on service connected conditions, this is important to my claim.

There are lots of new military records. Lots of names blacked out. I guess the VA doesn't want us looking up any of them.  

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you had incorrect records identified in your file that weren't you, they were probably removed at some point- there is a mechanism for that on our side. 

Are you searching on a disk? Ctrl-f is not the greatest tool for that, unfortunately its about the only one that fast and included as part of Windows. PDFs when scanned, aren't searchable very well because they aren't necessarily an image, but they aren't 'text' either. PDF searches only work on rendered text or OCR data. If the PDF is created from a scanned image, it will not find anything at all. the only way to search text in a PDF is to do a full text index, and if there is no rendered text or OCR data, then there is nothing to index. There are tools that will OCR (character recognition- not perfect) a PDF but they all cost money. 

• HadIt.com Elder

KANE

If you have not done this yet  you may want too

Go to the SSA web site  and create you a SSD Account  once they approve your SSA Account   you will have access to all your SSA Records from the date you first stated to work  mine go back to age 14 When I worked at a EXXON GAS STATION  back then we would go out and ask the people that drove up WANT A FILL UP? CHECK YOUR OIL/TIRE AIR PRESURE   ect,,,ect,, this was around 1966/67/68  but once you get a SSA Account you can long into your account  and find just about any records you need/want.

21 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

If you had incorrect records

I did have someone else's records in mine. It appeared that someone at the VA dropped the paper files and didn't have enough sense to put them back in the correct folder. I have wondered if this wasn't a problem with the VA getting my claim correct because my SSA records granting me SSDI weren't all there. It especially bothered me that the VA is sending out someone else's complete identity to me, not that I care about this individual's identity, but I am almost certain that my identity is in someone else's records. This certainly seems to show to me that the VA does a very piss poor job of checking records. I have read the M21-1 that explains correcting records. Seems obvious to me that who ever worked my claim didn't look through my SSA records or if they did they didn't follow correct procedure or they would have corrected this way back before 2010. 

I just called Peggy(1-800-828-1000) and they say the records are in there system, which means nothing to me. I was told I could request the SSA records. I guess I will do that and see what I get this time. 

I have done the search several times. I can't find the other person's SSA number. I can't find the "CAVES", which was on the first few pages of the prior C-File that has SSA records in it, it sounded like a nickname for where the records were stored. I did a quick manual scan through all 5,000 pages but I still didn't see any SSA records, though I could have missed them.

I also noted a lot of blacked out areas in this new file. Maybe someone is starting to take identity security seriously.

Any suggestions on how I might search for them is greatly appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Go to the SSA web site  and create you a SSD Account

I did that many, many years ago. That though doesn't help me with what SSA records the VA has on file for me. 

2 hours ago, kanewnut said:

Where in my C-file are my SSA records?

If you have your C-File on CD, Download Adobe Acrobat Reader. Load your CD and click on the magnifying glass to search. Try typing in a single word like social or security or even better administration. Then click next until they pop up. When I tried to type in numbers and names it did not do too well, but it would search for single words. It also would not search handwritten documents but since your SSA letter is typed it should be easy. If you cannot find it call the VA back and ask them what page is your SSA letter on. They should be able to do a quick search and tell you their page numbers in your file. If they can't do it over the phone, then send them an IRIS and ask.  Your rating decision should state that they viewed your SSA records to grant your TDIU. If it doesn't that mean your SSA records were not considered. Your SSA letter may be in the VA system but the VA could have received them after the VA made your decision.

Forgot to say to download Free Adobe Acrobat Reader. No need to spend any money.

Edited by pacmanx1

Pac- just so you know, we don't have any tools that anyone else wouldn't have access to for searching PDFs. We use Adobe, or CTRL-F, too. We don't have any special tools for it, we're stuck doing it the same as everyone else.