VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where in my C-file are my SSA records?

Rate this question

kanewnut

Question

I was trying to find my SSA records but so far I haven't. There are over 5,000 pages in this version. I have tried several searches, but to no avail. I have searched for the individual whose records where mixed up with mine but so far can't find those either. Since I should have at least been awarded TDIU back to the time SSA found me unable to work, based solely on service connected conditions, this is important to my claim.

There are lots of new military records. Lots of names blacked out. I guess the VA doesn't want us looking up any of them.  

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 minutes ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Pac- just so you know, we don't have any tools that anyone else wouldn't have access to for searching PDFs. We use Adobe, or CTRL-F, too. We don't have any special tools for it, we're stuck doing it the same as everyone else. 

Broken I am talking about Free Adobe Acrobat Reader  It is a reader that can be downloaded at no cost. All it does is read the information on a CD disc. In other words, it will read, show and print any document on that disc. In reference to VA searching for the veteran's SSA letter, if the VA cannot tell the veteran what page the documents are on, they can at least tell the veteran when the documents were received, and the veteran can go from there. It has been too many years, but the VA did have a system that could search for documents and files. As for Adobe, Adobe itself has tools that someone could do a search so I am sure there would be a way if someone wanted to find a document they could. That really doesn't matter because the rating decision should state that the veteran's SSA records were used in his/her decision.

1 hour ago, pacmanx1 said:

I am sure there would be a way if someone wanted to find a document they could. That really doesn't matter because the rating decision should state that the veteran's SSA records were used in his/her decision.

That is one of my major problems. The VA lists SSA records but when I got the 2016 copy of the C-File the SSA records were a mess. The VA lists other times they have received SSA records in my decisions. My problem is what are they looking at? If they are denying me because evidence overrides the SSDI and VR&E denial I want to see what that evidence is. The VA telling me that they have verified my SSDI payments doesn't tell me that the VA have verified that I receive SSDI solely for SC disabilities. 

I just finished using Apple Mac preview to search for "social security". I didn't find my social security records from that search either. I am beginning to think someone at the VA has removed them.  

3 hours ago, pacmanx1 said:

Broken I am talking about Free Adobe Acrobat Reader  It is a reader that can be downloaded at no cost. All it does is read the information on a CD disc. In other words, it will read, show and print any document on that disc. In reference to VA searching for the veteran's SSA letter, if the VA cannot tell the veteran what page the documents are on, they can at least tell the veteran when the documents were received, and the veteran can go from there. It has been too many years, but the VA did have a system that could search for documents and files. As for Adobe, Adobe itself has tools that someone could do a search so I am sure there would be a way if someone wanted to find a document they could. That really doesn't matter because the rating decision should state that the veteran's SSA records were used in his/her decision.

We do, but it is dependant on how documents are labeled. Some documents are labeled by the system as they are received based on form number- those are easy. Self submitted evidence isn't always so easy because it could be letters, emails, forms with numbers, medical records, etc. We can look up by dates, categorization, descriptors in the subject line, etc, but its not perfect. 

I know adobe reader- the point is that its not any better than any other program unless you pay for one. I haven't found a free PDF reader yet that will OCR a bunch of PDFS well, or at all. Adobe pro is better but far from perfect. The limitation is the standard used for PDF and how data is recognized on it. Its not text, its not 'characters'. Its something else, wrapped up inside of the PDF 'shell'. So, Searching with Adobe through a bunch of PDFs that may not even be PDFS, but scans of PDFS, is going to run into that limitation and many hospitals, private companies, government agencies, etc do not individually create PDFS, they scan into an imager, THEN create the PDFs, when doing it in mass. 

Broken, just because you have not found it does not mean that it does not exist. The VA should have given the veteran a copy of his C-File on CD.  The veteran can download Free Adobe Acrobat Reader and load his CD in his computer and have the reader do a search of all the documents on that CD disc. It has nothing to do with VA internal systems. Now due to the fact that the VA has made a copy of the veteran's C-File they should also have a copy of the veteran's C-File on CD and they should be able to contact someone in the VA system to locate this information. I always try to think out of the box, and I know if a representative wants to help a veteran they can or they can choose to not help. The veteran just needs to find a proper reader and I know that the Free Adobe Acrobat Reader works great for me. I even save my VA documents on there and have no problem reviewing or changing my documents before faxing or loading them up to the VA.

I don't have a CD reader on my Mac. I took the CD to Staples and they copied it to a thumb drive for me. Charged all of $.27 because it was only one file. So I can search the C-File on the computer. 

I called Peggy(1-800-827-1000) and got a helpful person. She said that the SSA records are in my file, but she had no idea how to find them other than to search just like I am doing. She said I could send in another request for the SSA records. I guess that is what I am going to have to do.

I downloaded Adobe Acrobat but it is not finding anything with a search. I will play with it more later.