VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypothyrodism

Rate this question

Carlos C. Parscal

Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlos We assume you are a Vietnam veteran to be using the "presumptive"; it applies only to Vietnam veterans. See diagnostic codes 7800 & 7901 for rating criteria. Basically you are rated at 100% for several months, then you have another C&P and they will rate yours on your residuals, the same as they would for prostrate surgery, for example. What those "residual" symptoms are are not very clear. If you use a non-VA doctor, you might want to get an opinion letter as to what the symptoms are that you currently have and submit it into your medical records. It is a great opportunity to get a low ball rating by the VA.

As in the past 2010  presumptive additions- the VA is 'supposed' to review claims that have been denied in the past ( you mention you were on appeal) but the VA didn't really do that properly for all of the 2010 IHD etc Nehmer claimants.

I too assume with GBA that you served incountry-Vietnam, but recently Blue Water Navy veterans who fit into the 12 mile criteria , and served on a USS ship that was exposed to ASO, won the full gamit of SC benefits under Nehmer.That victory, thanks to NVLSP , is as important as the HR 299 and Procopio decisions.

What part of the appeal process are you in-you filed a NOD and also a I-9 Appeal to the BVA?

I am a Nehmer widow and filed for AO IHD death of my husband as soon as the 2010 regulations were prepared. I sent them everything they needed,with my initial claim to include the New Nehmer court order.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, yes I was in-country "boots on the ground" as the saying goes. When I talk about "Vietnam" veterans, I am referring to all that meet the VA's definition. So, as of last year, that includes those Navy and Coasties that served within the 12-mile limits. Some also meet the criteria if served in Thailand under certain conditions. Personally, I don't believe we will live long enough to see the VA be all inclusive to those that were exposed to A.O. 3 new presumptives are now included in the law recently past and the VA has to start allowing presumptives for bladder cancer, Parkinson's and hypothyroidism. But notice, the National Academy of Sciences, who is directed by Congress to provide any recommendations (like those 3) found/reported that Hypertension was even more likely to be presumptive. Congress didn't include it in the law. Why? Money. So IMHO, It's going to be a while before Congress holds the VA's feet to the fire again for HTN, because they won't want to spend the money because of the ballooning deficit.

GBArmy said:

"Personally, I don't believe we will live long enough to see the VA be all inclusive to those that were exposed to A.O."

I agree and even their spouses are dying -spouses that were eligible under Nehmer ,as their survivors.

7 hours ago, GBArmy said:

So IMHO, It's going to be a while before Congress holds the VA's feet to the fire again for HTN, because they won't want to spend the money because of the ballooning deficit.

Well that's too bad. War's cost money and taking care of the veterans of war should be a very high priority. I had an uncle with boots on the ground that always complained about AO. He died before 65 with a heart attack.