VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vaccine

Rate this question

ShrekTheTank

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Shrek I don't think anybody knows  not even the VA..

.I Instant message my VA PCP  about when did she think  They will call us veterans for  the covid vaccine? to include our spose)  I'm still  awaiting  her reply....but yesterday was a Holiday ( MLK Day)   so maybe I might hear from her tonight  she answers her email at the end of the day...I'll let ya know what she said.

but each VAMC is different and probably if they have the supply of it?  I know my VAMC has give the shots to all the Dr;s and health workers and clerks   so now Its just a matter of time when we get our turn.?  As usual the VET'S  TAKES THE BACK SEAT.

Edited by Buck52

I asked today.  Several "did not know", but the nurse said "they went back and forth", but right now, the answer is no.  (Spouse can not get the vaccine unless they are military Vets.)

As always, the VA does stuff willey nilley, so it is likely different in differnent VAMC's, or even the same VAMC 6 minutes later

• HadIt.com Elder

Well my VA Doc got back with me this Morning in  VA instant messages ..here is what she said   (notice she never sign her name?

''Good Morning,''
''We do not have any information regarding the vaccine availability. The VA will be mailing letters directly to veterans, once they are able to administer the vaccine. Please check the VA website for updates. Your spouse would not be eligible for the vaccine if she is not a Veteran.''

Did you see the statement, by Bucks doc, conflicts itself?

We do not have any information regarding the vaccine availability.

Then, it specifically says they DO have information regarding vaccine availablity for spouse:

6 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Your spouse would not be eligible for the vaccine if she is not a Veteran

Ok, so which is it?  Do you have information or dont you?  It looks like they have "enough" information to tell some people "NO".  

Repeat:

IF YOUR VAMC has a "walk in clinic", then "walk in" and get the shot.  My advice, and I will let you know if it works.  

If you are in Dallas or another big city where its not available, then drive to a smaller city with a VAMC and get it there, if its that important to you.  (You are unlikely to get travel pay, but go ahead and try).  

If you live in Texas, try one of these instead.  https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/state.asp?dnum=ALL&STATE=TX

Pick a close one, if you like.  

• HadIt.com Elder

No I do not have any information on when or where to get the vaccine injection. as my Dr mention above ''('''' we do not have any information regarding the vaccine availability ''

As for as traveling to another VA center  or even a smaller one in smaller town   there is no guarantee they will give the vaccine .

and being my VAMC will turn you away if you don't have a scheduled appointment...I decided to just wait it out and keep my distance wear my mask and gloves   keep my hands washed & wait for the letter...  and just hope for the best.

They guard the entrance doors at all places going into the VAMC  So we can't just walk in to the walk in clinic  they say due to covid prevention.

I've Instant message my VA PCP about that too  she said ''no we can't just walk in like we use to..''if you have an medical emergency  then go to your nearest E.R''.  this is(Due to covid)''

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

As for as our spouse getting the vaccine  if she has ChampVA  I believe she can get the vaccine  if your VAMC is doing the citi Program for veterans spouses.

Also Veteran spouse that have the ChampVA Insurance can call ChampVA in Denver office talk  to Glenn Johnson  (ChampVA director of services)

I don't think my VA PCP is up on the regulations..I will call my VAMC and ask about the covid vaccine injection  and when will they call us Veterans in. as I believe they have a priority for that  like Veterans with serious Illness and in a hospital  or nursing care  and veterans 75 and older  & then 75-to 65 and so on.

But veterans can certainly check with their VAMC for the vaccine injection like  Hadit Mod broncovet did  as he got his after a Dental Appointment.

So be sure to check with your own VAMC  and if you do decide to travel to another VAMC  or VA Outpatient Clinic  call ahead and make sure you can get the vaccine injection.

(jmo)