VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

OCD claim

Rate this question

Johhny_Drama

Question

I have a 70% PTSD rating. My Doctor and my LCSW therapist both say that I have traits of OCD and they see this a lot with folks with PTSD. They are going to write a nexus if needed. My question is this. 

If I submitted a claim for OCD it would be a secondary condition to my rated PTSD so would the VA just combine this with my current PTSD rating or is there a separate rating for OCD. I think my rating would fall under 30 percent based on what I read. It seems to match up with my symptoms. So would they keep my ptsd at 70 then the secondary would list OCD at its own rating of degree example 30?

severak things stem from PTSD. For me it’s OCD and sleep apnea. My doctor has 30 plus years on this subject so I’m getting a nexus that relates my PTSD to aggravation of sleep apnea and I’m going to claim both OCD and a separate claim of secondary to ptsd sleep apnea. I just didn’t know if OCD would be part of the current ptsd rating. 

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Johnny_Drama OCD is a mental Health disability, as is PTSD. If you are rated for one, any additional MH diagnosis is evaluated to see if the symptoms increase your level of disability in the same diagnostic code for mental health. Going from 70% to 100% means you are totally unable to function with others. IMHO you might have much better luck connecting OSA as secondary with the proper evidence and IMO, but I believe that sleep disorders also can be symptoms of MH. If the VA goes that route, it would not be a separate disability. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe they can differentiate the difference but most likely convert it or mix it in with a PTSD Dx depending on the severity of the OCD  IF they do then it should increase your PTSD rating...but unlikely enough to boost you up to the 100%  but again it depends on the severity of the OCD.

You must have an official diagnosis of your condition, you must be able to point to an event in your service record that caused your condition, and you must have a medical opinion connecting the two. 

Your diagnosis for OCD and/or PTSD must come from a VA-approved physician, though in most cases, your family doctor will work fine for this purpose. Almost any exposure to combat or other significantly stressful situation will serve to establish a service connection, though proving the event happened may be tricky. And then your doctor will simply need to write an opinion stating that your condition(s) were at least as likely as not caused by your service. 

If your wanting an increase to your PTSD as GB mention your better off filing secondary to SLEEP Apnea to your PTSD /Medications  because If you file for the OCD  they more than likely link it to your PTSD  Depending on how severe the OCD is.   IAM NOT SURE THIS WOULD BE A SEPARATE AND DISTINCT CONDITION due to the OCD being a MH Disorder.  But even if they did rate the OCD  it would need to be at least 30%  to get you to the 100% rating for PTSD Alone.   you can try ....it but if it was me I'd go the sleep apnea route.

if you were at a 100% combined rating   or even a 90% rating , if you have a seperate & distinct condition rated 60% or higher  then you would be eligible for the SMC S.

.  The OCD would not be considered a separate & distinct condition due to it being in the MH Family  this is why they more than likely link in in with your PTSD  SO ITS POSSIBLE YOU CAN GET INCREASE ON YOUR PTSD RATING   Question is  how much would the rate your OCD?  Check the rating criteria for OCD.

(JMO)

Edited by Buck52

Apply for both an increase (PTSD) and ocd secondary to ptsd.  Let them do their job and sort out which.  I agree, however, with GB Army in that, unless you are not working, 100 percent for PTSD is mostly off the table.  (read the criteria for 100 percent).  

The criteria for 100 percent for a mental health disorders is TOTAL OCCUPATIONAL and social impairment.   How can you be "totally" occupationally impaired, if you are working?  

Again, if you are working, my advice is to apply for OSA, which could be an increase if awarded.