VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC O with two SMC L’s both for AA

Rate this question

Dirtnasty

Question

I currently am awarded SMC L 1/2 on account of AA for panic disorder @100% and then the half step for other disabilities.

After a two year battle the BVA judge just granted me service connection for fecal incontinence @60% secondary to IBS @30% and Hemorrhoids @20%. I went and had a separate 21-2680 signed by my doctor that covers the need for AA based solely on my fecal incontinence, IBS and hemorrhoids. Would this qualify as two separate AA’s since these are separate and distinct from the other? 
I also want to mention I have a 60% rating for urinary incontinence.  

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Im not sure you are understanding A and A.  While there are different levels of A and A, the distinction is THE level of care:

a).  Does your disability require a nurse?  Do you have an IV, or other medical equipment that requires a nurse?  This is a higher level..it cost more for a nurse than for someone who ties your shoes, makes your bed, and cooks you meals.  

b). Or, can you just get a little help with cooking, getting dressed, etc, that does not require a nurse.  

You wont get "2" A and A's, you will get one or the other.  

If you have mutliple disabilities and multiple "loss of use" and A and A, you can combine them.  

Try this one (pyramiding):    https://cck-law.com/blog/pyramiding-how-to-avoid-stacking-your-va-ratings/#:~:text=Pyramiding is the VA term,can manifest in unusual ways.

However, I did not say you could "not" get 2 SMC L's, I said you could not get 2 A and A's.  There is a difference.  You can combine SMC's because you can have "loss of use" of more than one body part.  But the Aid and Attendance level, you will only get ONE level, not both.

Bron,

I do not believe you are correct. The link you show is from a law firm, which is not VA law. If you have two separate disabilities distinct from the other you can have SMC L for AA for more than one issue. I feel like you are pushing the CCK law, and not actually listening. 

Edited by Dirtnasty

No, Im "not pushing CCK law".  Yes I listened.  When you order a big mac, you need to choose if you "super size" it or not.  

Ditto for A and A.  Your A and A will depend on "the level of care", you cant get "nurse" level of a and A "plus also" get the lower level of a and a.  They are mutually exclusive.  

I tried to explain "SMC L" is for more things "than JUST" A and A.   You can also get SMC L for "loss of use" and get more than one if you lose use of more than one body part.  

But you cant get 2 A and A's...you get "the highest A and A" that you qualify for.  

It similar with your rating.  If you have a 80 percent rating and get another 10 percent disability, you dont get 2 checks, one for 80 percent and another for 10 percent.  The VA "combines" them using VA math, and, in this case 80 percent plus 10 percent combines to 80 percent.  I dont like it either.  

You dont have to beleive me, go ahead and try to get "2" seperate A and A's.  I already explained you can get 2 SMC L's "if" you have A and A And loss of use.  but you dont get 2 A and A's.