VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bilateral Hearing Loss

Rate this question

GBArmy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

In simple terms, bilateral disabilities would be having an additional "bonus" from the VA to help compensate the fact that having a disability on one side of your body, say left knee,  is more of a handicap if you should have a corresponding disability on the other lower extremity, than rating them completely separate.  So 10% for left knee, 10% for right knee, plus an additional 10% (10+19=19 x 10%=1.9 Add the 1.9 to the 19 and the bilateral number for your knees is 21%. It helps a lot when you climb the disability claim ladder. (I believe this is correct without using a calculator that does bilateral.) Here's where it gets a little wonky. I have s-c bilateral hearing loss by the VA and it is rated at 10%. What? If it is BILATERAL and I have hearing loss in both ears, why is it not 21% instead of 10%? Either the VA is using a different definition when talking about hearing loss, or my disability is miscalculated.  Any comments welcome.

Im not going to calculate your rating for you. First of all, I'm not a rater, so I don't use those charts, I am, however aware of them. They have nothing to do with my day to day work. I don't know how to use them any better than anyone else because its not my job to know how to use them. I never said I knew how to use them, either. 

Plus, I have enough to do today with 22 cases currently on my list to finish, including a 3 newly filed claims that have to be built from the ground up- STRs, personnel, VAMC, whatever private records the veteran has, verifying the conditions exist and meet Caluza, and making sure all their demographic information, EFT, Dependents, DOC, etc are all correct. Those will take at least an hour apiece. Sorry, but my plate is full today. 

If you think your rating is wrong you know what to do already. Im not getting into a pissing match over something that I don't work with. All I know is that bilateral factor as it is used by the VA does not apply to the ears. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• HadIt.com Elder

Broken, Chill, brother. I wasn't looking for someone to calculate the rating. I was commenting on an apparent inconsistency regarding the term Bilateral. Just looking for comments, that's all. 

How 'bout, Bilateral Plantar Fasciitis, LOL,

I was service connected for right foot plantar fasciitis at 10 percent starting in 2008.  In 2018, I claimed left foot pain secondary to my right foot.  I was service connected for achilleas tendonitis at 10%, AND, get this, now I am for bilateral plantar fasciitis, at 10%.

So, bottom line is, I went from a single issue, right foot at 10%, to a bilateral, right and left at 10%.  So, no increase, yet another appendage..

The rating schedule is one or both feet helped, which is correct, I have inserts in both shoes that the VA supplies and they do help.

But, it's just crazy sometimes, 

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

Hamslice So let me get this straight. They gave you an additional disability for your left foot but at no increase? You didn't get an additional 10%, or 10% + 2%. This really is confusing! I get it if either foot gets worse you're covered, and whatever secondarie like back or hip or something, but no additional bump. Wow.

• HadIt.com Elder

Got my covid shot today,  been up at the VA Most of the day.

I'll try to find my rating sheet  on my hearing loss and how they rated my  service connected  ''BITILATERALLY Hearing Loss.

AS to my better ear  vs my poorer ear.